486 replies to this topic

#481 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,749 posts

Donator

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:45 PM

I haven't "tested" that many exotics yet but so far, subtropicalis/semperviva might be the #1. Natalensis is really nice too......and mexicana and panaeolus and..... :)

In their defense, cubes are a lot of fun to grow.

I think Pans probably taste the best.  However, its not really about the taste is it?  Once you drank San Pedro the taste of mushrooms is a breeze.   

• Boebs, YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#482 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,016 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2022 - 11:45 AM

So the other day, I "pantsed" one of the bags just to see what is going on.

Throughout the development of the bags, I kept noticing that stones were forming on the inside of the bag - well above the substrate itself.

The photos demonstrate what I found in just one bag - without molesting the substrate block.

I also noticed that some of my bags were lighter in weight than the others - indicating a lower moisture content. I simply performed a dunk by flooding the bags and putting them in the 'fridge for 24 hours. Each bag increased in weight by an average of 100 grams. They also began producing larger stones within the substrate.

20220701_213850.jpg

20220701_213841.jpg

• bezevo, ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#483 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,665 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2022 - 11:09 AM

Nice Myc, good to know they still soak up water at that point.

MexA in a trashcan, outside, still putting out a couple at a time. I wish it would spread over the surface more.

20220712_083308-1.jpg
  • Myc and MushLuvR like this

#484 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,016 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2022 - 11:34 AM

It is rather interesting. After dunking, the mycelium is climbing the side of the bag again and forming more sclerotia.

Curious to see how many times I can "pants" the bag and harvest more stones before actually breaking-up the substrate block for the really obvious stones buried within.

The stones within the substrate are growing noticeably larger due to more available moisture.

I'm just taking my time and keeping things clean while I experiment.

A Friend and I did try some of these stones and they are quite powerful. I only had a nugget about the size of a cashew and that was plenty for me. I gave the rest away to another Friend so he and his wife could celebrate Independence Day. I understand the fireworks were quite spectacular this year. ;)

• YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#485 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,665 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2022 - 11:53 AM

How old were the stones?
  • MushLuvR likes this

#486 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 860 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2022 - 07:41 PM

2nd question did you eat them fresh? I harvested a few and dried them since I had no clear time to try them. But I still have jars growing (that I haven't checked in a while) . I wanted to wait till I could test them fresh.
  • MushLuvR likes this

#487 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,016 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2022 - 10:01 PM

Rather than quote - it's easier to answer both questions at once.

The stones were less than 2 hours since berthing when Friend and I tried the first dose. Friend went on for a second - equal sized dose after about 1 hour - and drove home at the 6 hour mark with no reservations.

It is my personal practice to never dry fungi. I only eat them fresh or give them away to my friends. Something - some magic - is lost in the process of drying and I feel that they become quite "dark". . I don't want to come off as cryptic or mystic but..............fresh mushrooms are the best in my experience and I would rather give them away than to watch them dry.

If you ever test my hypothesis, I'm sure you will be rewarded in the positive. There is a reason that manna was not intended to have been stored - like grain. Because it is self-renewing.

• YoshiTrainer, Auhron and MushLuvR like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!