Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

One Year Old Pollen - Stored In Freezer - Still Viable?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,833 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:22 AM

So guys.......

I'm back to recount my story and discovery.

The story:

Cinderella 99 seed came up as male and was moved to other area for harvest of pollen.

Pollen was harvested and stored in refrigerator.

Amnesia Haze female plant was in cultivation.

Cinderella 99 pollen was taken from refrigerated storage and Amnesia Haze was pollinated.

Seeds were successful and viable.

Two of the offspring seeds were planted. Both came up female. (product of Amnesia Haze x Cinderella 99 pollen)

One of the resultant offspring was pollinated with the same pollen which had been stored under refrigeration.

Seeds have been discovered!!!

This is no random coincidence - There are no sources by which my garden can become accidentally contaminated by pollen. No other cultivars within the garden have produced seed. This is the result of deliberate pollenation of a selected plant. Turns out - under refrigeration - pollen can last quite awhile. 

Now to test for viability within the next couple of months. 

• Microbe likes this

#22 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,684 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:24 PM

I'm also very interested as I have had damn near no luck storing pollen. I find it does not keep well past a few weeks, so please let us know how this comes out!

EDIT: I see you had success! I am quite surprised as I have tried to store it a few times with little success. Now I know it can be done, so thank you!

Edited by Coopdog, 16 April 2019 - 12:26 PM.

#23 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:13 PM

There was a woman at Spannabis selling not seeds...but packs of pollen for dozens of strains. I believe its freeze dried but not 100% on how she prepares it and its shelf-life. Her booth looked cool amongst the seed vendors.

#24 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,833 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:34 PM

I've got to admit I was ASTOUNDED at finding seeds - even on the first try - given all of the contrary feedback I received. 

This Amnesia / Cinderella cross is hands-down one of the best cannabis cultivars I've ever handled. 

She makes the whole house smell (strangely and faintly) of cat urine. 

This is the only cannabis which has given me "red-eyes" since I quit buying mexican bud in my 20's. I am wildly over-the-top at how wonderful and long-acting the buzz and wonderful the aroma (she stops smelling of cat pee once harvested). The taste also holds up well in a joint (which can be rare). 

This precious jewel takes more than 90 days to finish under 400w HID. Stronger light would produce better results. Outdoors would be best. 

Here is the first mention of my experiment:

https://mycotopia.ne...weed/?p=1363448

So in reading the time/date stamps on the post, that pollen was likely only 9 months old when I used it rather than a full 12 months. 

Keeping in mind that the post from above documents the First pollenation.

This discussion is regarding the Second use of the same stored pollen on the product of the First experiment. 

So pollen may not last a full 365 days under refrigeration - but close enough for my purposes. 

If my friends in legal places would care to try - I have a few beans extra. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!