#1 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:40 AM

Got a good syringe of LC, AA+ strain. Ordered 4 of the 5 lb bags including rye berries in the bottom with 5 lbs of sterilized and pre prepped compost in the top. Been a week and a half since I nocced em up, and finally got some signs of life. I will document this grow as best I can, and am hoping for something (which is better than nothing) and these bags were reviewed quite positively, so positive grow vibes are appreciated. I have something showing in all 4 bags now. Plan at this time is to fruit 3 in the bags, and spawn one to pastuerized horse manure bulk and see what happens. Had good luck with horse manure in the past so hoping with the summer weather and all it will come off well. 

Peace...

Attached Thumbnails

• Life 1.jpg

• Sidestreet, Soliver, Da-1 and 3 others like this

#2 Da-1

Da-1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 403 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:46 AM

Hiya Coopdog

looking good there sir, first time I have seen this way of growing and subbed to see more,

sending good vibes and wishing you all the best.

Regards, Da-1

• Coopdog likes this

#3 RamenShaman

RamenShaman

राशा अंतरिक्ष नूडल

• Free Member
  • 834 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

Good luck and good vibes Coopdog!
  • Coopdog likes this

#4 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:24 PM

Hoping for a less problematic process using these bags. I have had a few successful grows, but had a lot of failures getting past the jar stage with PF tek. I live in a very wet area, and I am really not into pressure cookers for sterilization so I have had issues with contams in the past. I had pretty much given up on the idea of growing mushrooms, but this all happened out of the blue and I figured I would try the pre-prepped mediums and see if that goes any better. 

While looking for some I found these bags. The process is that you spawn to the rye berries, and when that is mostly colonized you mix that in throughout the 5 lbs of substrate on top, let that colonize and from there you can fruit in the bags, or take them out and put them into a terrarium or spawn to more bulk substrate. Not quite sure which route I am going with and probably do a little of each and see where I end up. The bags were not cheap, so I hope I net something for my efforts at least. 

• Soliver and RamenShaman like this

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,275 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:11 PM

looking great so far.. pulling up a chair for this one  :biggrin:

• Coopdog likes this

#6 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:35 PM

Good luck brother
  • Coopdog likes this

#7 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,476 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:24 AM

Looks good, and with 20 lbs of substrate you should have plenty to last you!  Keep us updated and we'll help you out the best we can.  I'll definitely be watching this one.

#8 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:50 PM

I get your 'noia with pressure cookers ... but damn.  That makes the hobby ... complicated.

That said, you current plan sounds like it should bear fruit Coop - D!

We're all here rootin' for you - keep us posted,

:)

soliver

#9 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:12 AM

WOW week two and my topic is buried! Good to see some movement in the forums! :) Anyhow these are my best two bags, but all of them look good so far. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Lifewk2-2.jpg
  • lifewk2.jpg

• Sidestreet and Da-1 like this

#10 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:14 AM

WOW, WTF do these post sideways? They are fine in the file they are in? DAMN I have had too much trouble with posting a damn thing on this website!

#11 Da-1

Da-1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 403 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:46 AM

Hiya Coop

Looking good so far I am keen to see this come to fruition and I wish you all the best bud,

I also have a few questions if you don`t mind,

where about in the bag were these inoculated?

is the top layer sub just sitting on top of the grains?

I see in the second pic that it is moving towards the top layer rather then colonizing the grain first, will this make a difference in colonizing time ?

how big and how many vents are on these bags for gas exchange ?

yeah the forum is hopping and I love it  :wub:

sorry you having problems uploading to your topic, there is another way also, you can make a gallery folder and then upload to that, there is an option to rotate the image before publishing the image, then when you reply to your post you can just click the add image icon on the top in the text editor and past the image links from your folder and it will appear in the post, I hope this helps a bit.

Regards, Da-1

• Coopdog likes this

#12 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:59 AM

Those are questions I am looking forward to as well. The concept they marketed this is that the grain colonizes, then you mix it into the composted substrate and fruit in the bag or spawn to bulk, or put it into a terrarium and fruit as is. The bags had a self healing inoculation port about an inch from the bottom where the grain is. There is about a 1 inch by two inch FAE exchange area not sure if it is tyvek or what. I am also unsure of how much FAE to introduce, assuming that it is to colonize the grain then get more FAE as it colonizes the compost. I have never done it this way before either, so it is a learning experience. I simply googled "Trouble free mushrooms" and this came up and it looked interesting and had decent reviews so I went with it. 

This was not a cheap method so I am hoping it comes off with something. If I end up with a well colonized bag, I may spawn to bulk of pasteurized horse manure and see where that ends up. If the bags continue to go slow as they have I may just leave them in a closed environment and fruit in the bags. There is supposed to be adequate moisture and nutrients in there to fruit as is, so I am hoping for the best despite the slow growth. I have one bag taking off and three not doing much, with one that I sliced into with scissors opening up the box with a ziplock over the top of it to keep out contams. 

Well folks that is what I got going on so far. Wish me luck! :)

Edited by Coopdog, 14 August 2018 - 03:01 AM.

• Soliver and Da-1 like this

#13 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,476 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:51 AM

WOW, WTF do these post sideways? They are fine in the file they are in? DAMN I have had too much trouble with posting a damn thing on this website!

Very large pictures end up sideways on the site.  Most picture files from cameras are huge until you re-size them.  If you size them down in a free program like Irfanview they will post right-side up, and we can see something other than an extreme close up when we open them!

Edited by Sidestreet, 14 August 2018 - 03:53 AM.

• Coopdog likes this

#14 Da-1

Da-1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 403 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:36 AM

Hiya Coop thanks for the reply,

well lucky for us you made this thread and are posting your steps and log of your grow,

may I ask when you got the pre-made was the grain and sub mix separated in the bag or just layered as they are ? 

I gather cause you purchased these thats where the high cost has come in with shipping ?

I saw you said you bought 4 and noc`d 5 bags if I read correctly ? May I ask if so how did you make your own mixture with this? And if so how did you prep it all ?

Or did you order 4 bags of mixed and 1 bag of something else ? Sorry if I am way off just trying to see how many bags you have and how much it cost you,

may I ask are you going to break the grain up and mix it up, so that is colonizes faster ? I don`t mean into you compost mix yet.

I actually like this so much, I went and bought some oven bags that I will attempt this with and need all the juicy info you can offer please.

many thanks for your time and advice, keep up the good work.

Regards, Da-1

#15 Pipeline

Pipeline

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:04 AM

I have one bag taking off and three not doing much, with one that I sliced into with scissors opening up the box with a ziplock over the top of it to keep out contams. 

Well folks that is what I got going on so far. Wish me luck! :)

If your bags are like mine, You can reseal the cut area with a Chi flat iron. I've been experimenting with different types of vacuum bags and how they seal and what types would work best for what I need. I got a no name mini flat iron for less than $15.00. I also got a top notch vacuum sealer with several different types of bags. They come in rolls and you can do a lot with the sealer and iron if you are creative.

#16 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,110 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:06 AM

Hoping for a less problematic process using these bags. I have had a few successful grows, but had a lot of failures getting past the jar stage with PF tek. I live in a very wet area, and I am really not into pressure cookers for sterilization so I have had issues with contams in the past. I had pretty much given up on the idea of growing mushrooms, but this all happened out of the blue and I figured I would try the pre-prepped mediums and see if that goes any better. 

While looking for some I found these bags. The process is that you spawn to the rye berries, and when that is mostly colonized you mix that in throughout the 5 lbs of substrate on top, let that colonize and from there you can fruit in the bags, or take them out and put them into a terrarium or spawn to more bulk substrate. Not quite sure which route I am going with and probably do a little of each and see where I end up. The bags were not cheap, so I hope I net something for my efforts at least. 

If I were you, I would fruit right in the bags... I often have to remind myself to keep it simple... The bag is going to serve as your terrarium and you already have a bulk substrate in the bag. To each their own, but I think you will have a higher chance for success if you let the corn colonize, mix it with the substrate in the bag without opening it, set it on a shelf, and let it fruit. 

When you harvest your first flush, pull off all the fruits (including the small ones which will include aborts), add some water, and let it sit for several hours. After you pour off your water, clip the bag and set it back on the shelf. The mycelium will recover and fruit again.... Repeat...

PJ

• PsyBearknot and Coopdog like this

#17 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,110 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:09 AM

I order bags from unicorn. If I am just fruiting in them, I never seal them. I roll the top and clip it. Sometimes I will seal them for spawn, sometimes not.

• Pipeline likes this

#18 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:32 PM

I had four bags that were 5 lbs each, that where that confusion came from. They came pre-prepped and ready to go needing only spores to take off. The medium was layered with the loose grain in the bottom and the compost on top. Fruiting in the bags is the plan for 3 of them, if I get a 4th that finishes well I will probably spawn it to a bigger bulk. These came from mycohaus.com and I guess that is ok to say since we have no sponsers right now? (Mods if this link is not ok just delete it and with my apologies) They were pretty expensive at 4 for 80 bucks plus a rather high shipping cost. Not sure where they shipped from. I call that expensive because I could do a LOT of substrate for that cost if buying the ingredients and prepping them myself. 

PJammer24, if I fruit in the bags do I need to introduce air and open the top of the bags so they have room to grow, or just let them push out their own space? The bags contain no extra air and were fairly compact. There is a FAE patch so I am assuming air can get in and out there. Never done an invitro in the bag grow before. I may have a hot iron thing to fix that bag with, might give that a shot. 

Edited by Coopdog, 14 August 2018 - 05:33 PM.

• Pipeline likes this

#19 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:49 PM

Damn Coop ....

For that kind of cash you could totally hookup a big Presto and a few blocks of coir ....

?

:)

soliver

#20 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:52 PM

Like I said before, not looking to make a lifetime hobby of this. The spores literally fell into my lap, so figured I would make one more run at it. I am probably never going to use a pressure cooker so I bought pre-prepped stuff in the hopes to come off with one simple and productive grow. Never even thought it was the best way to buy mushroom supplies but was hoping for the most trouble free way to get one decent grow off. This is probably not gonna continue past the initial phase. Something different this time I guess. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!