32 replies to this topic

#21 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:13 PM

Hoping for a less problematic process using these bags. I have had a few successful grows, but had a lot of failures getting past the jar stage with PF tek. I live in a very wet area, and I am really not into pressure cookers for sterilization so I have had issues with contams in the past. I had pretty much given up on the idea of growing mushrooms, but this all happened out of the blue and I figured I would try the pre-prepped mediums and see if that goes any better. 

While looking for some I found these bags. The process is that you spawn to the rye berries, and when that is mostly colonized you mix that in throughout the 5 lbs of substrate on top, let that colonize and from there you can fruit in the bags, or take them out and put them into a terrarium or spawn to more bulk substrate. Not quite sure which route I am going with and probably do a little of each and see where I end up. The bags were not cheap, so I hope I net something for my efforts at least.

If I were you, I would fruit right in the bags... I often have to remind myself to keep it simple... The bag is going to serve as your terrarium and you already have a bulk substrate in the bag. To each their own, but I think you will have a higher chance for success if you let the corn colonize, mix it with the substrate in the bag without opening it, set it on a shelf, and let it fruit. 

When you harvest your first flush, pull off all the fruits (including the small ones which will include aborts), add some water, and let it sit for several hours. After you pour off your water, clip the bag and set it back on the shelf. The mycelium will recover and fruit again.... Repeat...

PJ

And that first flush will be clean for printing. Not making a life long hobby but always wise to have print for the future. It sounds like you have had battles with contams cause of the area you live in. Might present a bit of a challenge for printing of that is the case
  • Coopdog and PJammer24 like this

#22 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:26 PM

I had four bags that were 5 lbs each, that where that confusion came from. They came pre-prepped and ready to go needing only spores to take off. The medium was layered with the loose grain in the bottom and the compost on top. Fruiting in the bags is the plan for 3 of them, if I get a 4th that finishes well I will probably spawn it to a bigger bulk. These came from mycohaus.com and I guess that is ok to say since we have no sponsers right now? (Mods if this link is not ok just delete it and with my apologies) They were pretty expensive at 4 for 80 bucks plus a rather high shipping cost. Not sure where they shipped from. I call that expensive because I could do a LOT of substrate for that cost if buying the ingredients and prepping them myself. 

PJammer24, if I fruit in the bags do I need to introduce air and open the top of the bags so they have room to grow, or just let them push out their own space? The bags contain no extra air and were fairly compact. There is a FAE patch so I am assuming air can get in and out there. Never done an invitro in the bag grow before. I may have a hot iron thing to fix that bag with, might give that a shot. 

After you mix the spawn with the substrate, you will probably find that there is more room in the bag. I personally don't do a whole lot of fanning when I am using 5 micron bags, I just have fans blowing on each shelf. I would benefit however from greater air exchange.

After the substrate is fully colonized, you can feel relatively secure opening the bag to provide more air and space. If there is still very little room in the bag, that's ok in my opinion. There will be plenty of space and air for later flushes. 

If they are going to fruit, they will fruit whether you open the bag or not. You will just get some mushrooms that are A-typical in terms of shape. They make room for themselves.

You will be opening the bag after each flush to hydrate before the next flush and clipping it closed makes it easy.

PJ

Edited by PJammer24, 14 August 2018 - 09:31 PM.

• Coopdog likes this

#23 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,518 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:34 AM

Slow growth compared to PF tek I have done in the past. One bag doesn't show much in the pics, but there is white in there. Tried to resize to get them right side up but this new comp is a pain in the ass in more ways than that one lol. I know I am a dinsoaur when it comes to this technical shit. More trouble than it is worth it seems, to me at least. 

Attached Thumbnails

• life wk 3.jpg
  • Lifewk3.jpg

Edited by Coopdog, 21 August 2018 - 03:39 AM.

#24 Da-1

Da-1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 403 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:59 AM

Hiya Mr Coop

looking good so far, if no smells or color change you still good IMO

I had to go back and see the growth from the 14th, I now see what you mean about the slow growth, but I have not grown this strain so someone else with knowledge will have better advice on that,

but form what I see they are growing very slowly and that could be a few things, do you have the filter side up or down? it might be a GE problem, I would also recommend that maybe you try break up 1 of the bags not your best 1 maybe 2 best and try spread the grain only without mixing the top layer to see if 1, it shows contamination or if its a moister problem it might distribute some when mixed?

I have spawned some home made bags 3 days ago and they bouncing back pretty good already not crazy but after 1 week I will update my thread with the progress, I am new to this as well so we both learning here,

wishing you all the best brother and sending good vibes your way, keep us posted with what you choose or do decide to do.

Regards, Da-1

Edited by Da-1, 21 August 2018 - 04:01 AM.

• Coopdog likes this

#25 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,518 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:06 AM

Things are coming along slowly but maybe surely. No bad smells, smells like fresh mushroom mycellium, looks like I will be mixing these bags soon.  At least a couple of them. The slowest one appears to have colonized from the inside out and looks like it may do very well despite it's slow start. The first one had no real growth visible except a small fuzzy stain until this week. I think handling them and making them breathe was what they needed to jump off. Starting to have some hope now. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Life 4,2.jpg
  • Life 4,3.jpg
  • Life 4.jpg
  • Life 4,4.jpg

Edited by Coopdog, 03 September 2018 - 04:08 AM.

• PsyBearknot and Da-1 like this

#26 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,518 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:32 PM

I mixed these bags up, or attempted to. What a phenomenal pain in the ass and they are barely mixed in reality. Had a very hard time breaking up the mycellium without damaging the seal on the bags and did damage it on one. I closed it up immediately with duct tape. Tempted to clean out a rubbermaid container and dump them in there to colonize. Two of my bags are questionable. Not stinky but not clean white mycellium either. The other two were nearly colonized but had seemingly stalled. Hoping mixing them up will stimulate some more growth and that they will take off now. I was pretty stoked to try an invitro grow, but now the insides of the bags are covered in dirt so it doesn't seem as palatable now. Not really sure how this is going to end up at this point. We'll see after they colonize a bit more. I separated out the two I am unsure of. They had nearly colonized but the mycellium had a grayish tint to about half of it. I also took them into the other room to mix them up and washed my hands well between the ones I thought were questionable and the ones that were nice and white. So bummed that this has seemingly stalled. I hope they take off and colonize for me. 

#27 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:23 PM

bump, what up?

• PinkMenace likes this

#28 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,518 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:56 AM

Ok I got one bag that is almost totally colonized and another that doesn't look great in this pic, but I shook it up again right before the pic was taken and it looked a lot similar to the first one before I shook it and got the dirt down between the mycellium and bag. I think I will have two good ones and tossing the other two after hoping they would take off and turn white. Oh well 50/50 is fairly good in my rainy and damp neighborhood. The cool temps are not helping I think. I hope I come out with something anyhow. So far so good on these two anyhow. The second one looked a LOT better before I shook up the loose compost in the bag. Just trying to help them colonize. Should have photographed before I shook it up. Considering putting them in a couple of turkey pans to fruit 

Anyone got any advice on dunking (or not) inside a bag? Not sure how to proceed with this method. What a long drawn out process it has been! Send me positive grow vibes you all!

Peace...

Attached Thumbnails

• Life 6.jpg
  • Life 5.jpg

Edited by Coopdog, 25 September 2018 - 04:00 AM.

• Kraven likes this

#29 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,518 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2018 - 03:50 AM

OK so this kinda stalled for a long time. The best bag stopped with a 2x2 spot that was uncolonized. I left it for a LONG time hoping it would fill in, and finally decided to go ahead and wet the cake in the bag, as it still smelled like fresh mycellium. I cut a small corner of the bag and poured in some previously boiled water and left it for 6 hours or so to soak, and poured off the excess. That 2x2 area was a big uncolonized cavity in my cake and I feared for the worst when I poured out the water with a good quantity of compost with it leaving a big hole in my cake. 

That was 5-6 days ago. I put it back into the box to hopefully colonize more with the added moisture. I looked in on it a couple times and it still looked ok, but the displaced dirt on the bag made it look bad. I left it for a few days, thinking the worst once again. Tonight I opened it up and it was pretty white, with only the yellow staining of the mycellium piss on the bottom, and I opened the bag and squeezed it and smelled the air that came out... fresh mycellium smell! I was so happy to smell that as I thought this was a failed grow once again. 

I have a small measure of hope for this grow yet. 

I have a second bag that stalled less than half done. I injected a half of a syringe of the same boiled water into it, hoping to reinvigorate that one.  I also opened it and smelled it, a week later, and once again was rewarded with a fresh mycellium smell. I am starting to have a small bit of hope that both of these bags might finish ok. Only posting a pic of the first one, as the second one is not pretty to look at and is about half colonized. Please send me positive cultivation vibes my friends. 

Attached Thumbnails

• LIFE!.jpg

• Cuboid likes this

#30 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2018 - 01:52 PM

I have used these before. The partially colonized grain on the bottom can be gently massage and mixed if you put the bag on its side.

You can slide the "brick" of compost towards the top of the bag like an inch. This allow room to mix the grain and only the grain. Then put the back back upright to do its thing. Always leave that filter unobstructed

This allows the grain to colonize faster. That means you have fully colonized grain to mix into the compost faster. Everything faster.

They fruit in the bag fine, but obviously only the top part of the sub where there's space is gonna have nice printable mushrooms. The rest will be pressed all over the bag, invitro style.

I ended up doing the first flush that way, then put it in a tub with tyvek holes for 2nd flush. Poly would be okay too.

Sorry no pics the weight was okay. Like 2.5 oz dry for 2 and a half flushes
  • Coopdog likes this

#31 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,518 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2018 - 01:41 AM

I think as soon as I see pins I am gonna take it out of the bag and put it into a clean container to finish and stand the cake on it's side so it has maximum surface exposure to fruit from. We'll see how it goes. 

#32 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:43 PM

I think as soon as I see pins I am gonna take it out of the bag and put it into a clean container to finish and stand the cake on it's side so it has maximum surface exposure to fruit from. We'll see how it goes. 

How'd it go?

#33 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,518 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:04 AM

Not... I never got the substrates totally colonized. I think the substrate was too dry. Tried adding water, to no avail. I still have one partially colonized bag that smells good and a second that looks highly questionable. Pretty much forgot about it until this popped up. Maybe I will try and hydrate and see where I end up. The whole damn expensive thing was a flop all the way around so far. No fruits from my efforts. However I have had some prodding to make me want to revisit my growing and put the love in and maybe do better. I definitely did not put the love into this, and it showed. I was hoping for stick it and forget it, did not quite go how I thought it would and I got what I put into it...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!