Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:22 PM

22 cuttings off of 2 plants

3 leaf nodes
Made cut half way beteeen 3 and 4
Removed leaf set 3
Turned leaves in set 2
Dipped in rooting powder

4D562EDA-B882-4AA3-BC1C-A27400F5FF4B.jpeg 185E4909-CBD1-416D-8D48-A50BA7F358AF.jpeg

How do I use fresh leaf?

9B777D64-46FB-476D-A13B-A6F7272C5D93.jpeg
  • Sidestreet, coorsmikey, riseabovethought and 1 other like this

#2 DetritusTheEgo

DetritusTheEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:58 AM

From the small amount that I've encountered online ( ie not an expert ) the indigenous chew it similar to that of coca leaves. I've seen it chewed for very short periods ( less than 1 min ) and longer based upon preference / tolerance.

I wish you the best of luck on the cloning process.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#3 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,596 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:20 AM

Really cool!  Do you have a humidity tent for those?

#4 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:32 AM

No not right now.
I plan on misting on the reg and maybe putting gallon ziploc’s over them

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,955 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

Very nice work Psy !

Liter soda bottles with the bottom cut out make excellent humidity domes, and are possibly wide enough and tall enough to house those for a while.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#6 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:11 PM

Noted great idea will look into it

#7 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:36 AM

Ended up with a dub tub type set up for humidity and on a shelf under t8 vegetative growth spectrum in a grow tent to help keep some heat up too. They are packed in with a bunch of longevity spinach cuttings im rooting so their evaporation helps the air humidity too

18/24 surviving

0BF12C57-B536-4969-95F3-64FFE23A60BA.jpeg 1D0473CB-20E5-4179-A3F4-4F14B31A1E81.jpeg
  • Myc and bezevo like this

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,895 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

I use the same method. Tubs which used to be mono-tubs for fungi double as humidity domes when inverted. I'm always trying to get double-duty out of all my gear. 

The glovebox makes a really good quarantine container.

Interestingly, you can also root a leaf with some patience and practice. (You asked what to do with fresh leaf). 

Dip the rib in rooting hormone and lay the leaf on top of the growth medium - rib down. The roots will emerge from the rib of the leaf when you're successful. I think an agar gel with rooting powder added would make a good cloning medium for this method. The rib could be mashed into the surface a little for more contact. 

• riseabovethought likes this

#9 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for the post myc. Good to see similar set ups.

Leaf rooting never worked for me with the acacia and mimosa that were supposed to root that way.

I have some decent leaf material attached I could try with.

Wonder what a successful agar recipe would look like
  • Myc likes this

#10 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:04 PM

Never judge a book by its cover
Never judg a rooting plant based on lack of leaves.

ED0B2A30-E361-4553-8929-D4BAC07A8107.jpeg

Out of the original 22 cuts 4 of them I thought were deadman
Went to dump them back into the soil bin and found pretty strong healthy looking roots in all of them.

I went ahead and tr potted them and dub tub’ed them for humidity

Taking note from that I went ahead and potted up the other 18 cuts. In retrospect I should have waited another week or two for more root development.

Edited by PsyBearknot, 04 September 2018 - 01:06 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#11 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:17 PM

When I took my original cuts I had a couple that I could have taken but left on the plant Incase I botched these first round cuttings

Since I saw roots in the above post I decided to try another set off what was left

DB8727BC-25E9-43BB-9EEA-CC801224BDDC.jpeg DEA0CD48-F5FE-4B8C-B292-94B48D1658AC.jpeg

I took sections with 3 leaf nodes in mind.
Trimmed off bottom set of leaves and clipped the other set of leaves to help with humidity evaporation
Dipped in rooting powder
Soil is equal parts fox farm ocean forest and perlite and generic store bought potting mix

4EEE3A5D-5F10-4D03-A47A-8AA5C30520E5.jpeg 9A9040B3-48BB-4D4C-B27C-DC5340F34E0B.jpeg

I used a gallon zip loc bag as it fits 2 beer cups Nicky for a humidity tent
Placed 3 slits at the top for air flow and one near the bottom.

NOT going to put this set inside in the grow tent
Going to leave them out side under the deck for shade
When working with these cuts I felt a squishing pop when handsking the stems and residue on my fingers from where they touched the stems. ALSO there were a ton of ants running up and down the plant - probably aphid or some other eggs

0FD6D7F3-56AD-4A82-917E-318F6B6FBB0B.jpeg

Edited by PsyBearknot, 06 September 2018 - 06:27 AM.

#12 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:24 AM

The cuts were taken on 9/2
We are at 4-5 day mark where i have , in the past, seen leaves darken curl and fall off
2 beer cups in a gallon ziploc is the trick. I’m sure 1 would work it two fit nicely and will create more humidity
The bag is misted and open/close 2 times daily
3 slits at the top
1 near bottom middle between the 2 cups

All looks well.

Warm environment. Does not like cold
Some humidity required but the better the quality of humidity environment the less stress involved
From what I have see you don’t need to give these plants a reason to drop leaves. The tend to do that well enough on their own.82D227D4-074E-4308-B27D-78D300EF2198.jpeg E2315980-ADD3-4B07-8E86-53146D12A2DC.jpeg F39E1A1F-21D0-48BF-807C-FC8ADD86DFE3.jpeg

#13 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,895 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:58 AM

Wonder what a successful agar recipe would look like

I would be tempted to modify an existing agar recipe. 

1 Liter of water

15 grams of agar agar - (less agar leaves the solution "soupy" like cloning gel)

10 grams of Rootone (or whatever powder)

NOT An Actual recipe - just a concept or idea - food for thought for future reference

I'm just not sure whether to add the rooting hormone - post PC. It makes the recipe more of a PITA but you could also use the opportunity to experiment with the addition of H2O2 (which must be added - post PC).

You might be better off with a rooting solution instead of a powder. 

I also wonder about using aloe vera

But then..........

Your experiments appear to be kicking ass on their own. If it ain't broke............

#14 PapMyc

PapMyc

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:53 AM

New to the forum but thought I'd give my experiences. Bottom heat makes all the difference. Buy yourself a seedling heat mat. Hydrofarm is generally available from lots of places. The prices are usually cheaper at the local hydro store. I have both single and double flat size. Double (20" x20") cost only a little more then single size and use very little power. You can put a solid bottom flat and clear dome on top. The heat produces moist environment for cuttings and roots grow faster. I still ventilate and mist with a foliar fertilzer. For a couple of cuttings, a mushroom bag with filter patch is the ticket. Jiffy 7 pellets are my go to medium after using different perlite,sand,spagnum mixes. Good air to water ratio and the acidity retards fungus\bacteria.

Some of the plants I prop take months to root. Air layering might be the way to start new plants.
  • coorsmikey and PsyBearknot like this

#15 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 590 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:58 PM

Just saw this thread. You might consider an aeroponics rig. They are great for finicky-to-clone plants like camelia. 

Google diy aeroponics. You just need a tiny water pump, some mini mister or mini sprinkler heads and 1/4" tubing and a bin or bucket and a timer. Throw in some nutrients. You will be able clone things super fast or things you could not clone before.

And you can also get kits for aquaponics.

Or a hydroponic rig - keep part of the plant in a water medium with nutrients, bubbled with an aquarium bubbler. This also gives truly amazing results. Constant moisture, oxygen and nutes to the stem or part of the leaf in your case will promote growth. Also, the air above the hydroponic apparatus is typically kept moist and this may help as well although it can, in some cases, be a source of excess moisture leading to mold. Simplest rig is a small, flattish bin with ~1" holes drilled in the top. Then place the plant through a rooting block and just into the water. Rest the blocks on top of the bin or wedge them into the holes to secure them, then the bubbled water is just below the level of the block above the water.

Edited by raymycoto, 15 November 2018 - 06:45 PM.

• coorsmikey and PapMyc like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!