156 replies to this topic

#61 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:06 PM

No worries, they all smell horrible to me.. and thank you for the spawn bag comment.

#62 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

I suspect women seem to perhaps have more of an issue with this than men?

My wife hates it when I do any pasteurization or sterilization of compost or poop. She says the same as you, One. “It stinks”. But I have never been bothered by the smell personally. Perhaps our olfactory sensors are less evolved lol.

Edited by peacefrog, 14 September 2018 - 07:37 AM.

• onediadem and Juthro like this

#63 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:30 AM

So, this is what happens when life gets away from you. Now I have my work cut out for me cleaning up this spawn. Pretty pink though.

post-102215-0-26326800-1537334802.jpg

post-102215-0-06744600-1537334826.jpg

pinks.JPG

pinkss.JPG

#64 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,091 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:38 AM

I use this dehydrator because it is very easy to unhook the heating element and you can buy extra trays separately for it. That bar across the top is screwed into place, and there are two small plug thingys under it, one for the fan, and one for the heat. (Sorry, I am not an electrician and don't know what they are called lol) It only takes about 36 hours to cracker dry your mushrooms. I dry quite a lot and grind them up. Oyster flour is pretty awesome. They are relatively inexpensive and last forever. I have had mine for over twenty years. I originally bought it to make beef jerky. It hasn't seen jerky since I unplugged the element. All in all, it was a good buy considering how long it has run. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Okay One, dont take this the wrong way...

But... Sexy Hand!  :dry:

• Da-1 likes this

#65 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:57 AM

post-102215-0-54543800-1537512731.jpg

post-102215-0-36546400-1537512752.jpg

a.JPG

a1.JPG

• Da-1, Skywatcher, bezevo and 2 others like this

#66 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:20 AM

So, I am not a happy hippie right now. I have had 8 bags of spawn get trich. This could be due to a number of reasons. I purchased this product through a med-supply because of everything it said it kills.

pdi-super-sani-cloth-160-germicidal-wipe

I also am using new bags.

However, during my spawn transfers, I used the wipes on my scoop before transferring the grain into the new bags. Normally, I individually wrap large spoons in foil and PC to do this, so that was mistake number one. Could be the new bags. I PC'd 15 more grain bags tonite, and will be testing that theory with the PC'd spoons to see if it was indeed the bags. It has to be one or the other, because the transfers I did to the subs are fine. I really hope it wasn't the bags. The price is great, and I really like how well they are made. But.. Every contam hit the bottom of the bags, which leads me to believe it is the bags, and not from my transfers. Well, I will know in a week. They are getting knocked up tomorrow after they cool down all night. What a drag.

• Kraven likes this

#67 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:47 AM

Good morning one ,please use rubber gloves, as a nurse I have seen may people get chem burns from this product...but yes it kills everything !

#68 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,527 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:51 AM

Sorry to hear about the bad run of luck. Been there myself.
  • Kraven likes this

#69 CzM8

CzM8

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:18 AM

How wet is the bottom of your bag? So... I changed to your method of no boil grains and it seems like even after sitting over night and PCing for 3 hours the bottom 1/3 of my grains are over cooked. I’m experimenting with adding boiling water to my oats in the spawn bags... but they still seem on the wet side.
  • Kraven likes this

#70 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:25 PM

I have been doing this grain method for over 15 years. Before I spawn to them, or knock them up, I mix the crap out of them and redistribute the moister grains on the bottom with the drier grains on top. It evens out the moisture content for me. I live in the desert though, and let the bags sit open overnight so most of the liquid is absorbed by the grain by the time I pc. When I do jars, I load and go. No soak overnight.  I know it is not the method. I do not do anything without gloves Kraven. I worked as a hospice nurse in my early twenties, and know protocols. I ended up going back to school to do something else because seeing that much death broke me.

• mushit, Skywatcher, SteampunkScientist and 2 others like this

#71 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:01 AM

Its hard one, I agree. I no longer practice myself.

As far as the no soak oats, I just switched over myself [Microbes method that was Cues method], and I love it, yes right after PC once the pressure is off naturally, I open and shake the shit outa the jars to get the moisture evened out, by the next day, one more shake reveals perfectly hydrated to a bit dry oats which is my sweet spot personally. Peace

• onediadem likes this

#72 CzM8

CzM8

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:00 AM

I guess I’ll have to start redistributing my grain better. Have you ever ran into issues where the bag comes “unsealed” when redistributing the moisture?

#73 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:39 PM

I do it in my glovebox, and I unseal them in order to shake them up. I do it all when I am inoculating, not when the grains are still hot. I unseal the bag, gather it an inch from the top and hold it really tight to mix the grains with my dominant hand. With the bags, you have the luxury of forcing the grains apart and thoroughly mixing them, that you do not have with jars. It is such a tight seal, you would end up putting a finger through the bag trying lol.  With jars, I do it when they are cool enough to handle without leaving blisters. There is no way to do it otherwise. Letting grains get cold in jars means your going to come close to breaking the jar to get the grains separated.

• Kraven likes this

#74 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,091 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:01 AM

I do it in my glovebox...

Me too!

... Oh, you were talking about mushrooms...

Never-mind.

• Da-1 and Kraven like this

#75 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:49 PM

HAH!. Now you have left me to wonder what the nevermind was all about. Sounded dirty enough to not be in your glovebox though..

• Da-1, SteampunkScientist and Kraven like this

#76 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:49 PM

I have been mixing 50/50 beet pulp pellets in place of soy been hull pellets and hwfp. The oyster species and enoki love it and is showing a 20% increase in yields. Yellow oyster hates it lol. The spawn was kick ass, so I know it was viable. I haven't got the chicken of the woods, or Hericium on it yet. So far the oysters are crazy about it. I am drying and making lots of oyster powder for soups and sauces.

• SteampunkScientist and majormillet like this

#77 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,091 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:57 AM

I do a mix of 2:1 popcorn and oats.  Mainly because Popcorn colonizes very fast (I suspect due to the higher sugar/carbo content), whilst the oats provide many nutrients that the popcorn does not, but colonizes a bit slower - and then a simple Coffee Coir sub that Warfrat uses - works very well, and the coir mix is highly resistant to Trich (as compared to other types I have worked with). And there is the added benefit that the kitchen does not smell like poo.

#78 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:45 PM

Huzzah for One!

I've been in & out - what with this 'life' thing you mention and all ... and somehow have missed some great threads, this being the tops  :)

I gotta run and do good person things, but I'm looking forward to studying the other half of the pages I don't have time for now - keep those tips and tricks a - comin' ... I may have to try spawn bags.  I'm getting tired of quart jars anyway.

Many thanks,

:)

soliver

• onediadem likes this

#79 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:35 PM

Pinks are popping.

post-102215-0-08225200-1543102408.jpg

post-102215-0-04982200-1543102394.jpg

pink1.JPG

pink2.JPG

• coorsmikey, Soliver, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#80 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:55 PM

Are those really big bales or smallish pins?

:)

soliver

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!