7 replies to this topic

#1 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:19 PM

All,

Have been using cloning gel for many years now and decided to try some cloning powder. It just seems that the Gel goes bad quickly, even if I do NOT directly dip the stems into the gel. Gel is also pretty expensive compared to the powder.

My last cuttings were cloned using the powder cloner, and I noticed something right off the bat. I always trim the clone leaves before cloning, and with the gel, the oldest leaves seem to get hit the hardest and begin dying shortly after the cloning gel is applied and then placed in soil.

The cloning powder on the other hand NEVER lost any of its leaves, in fact, they never turned colors at all. The powder does seem to take longer to get the cuttings going, but the cuttings look very healthy. Transplanted the cuttings yesterday after a couple of weeks, and they all had pretty good root systems started. Would/should have let them go a little longer, but my other plants are getting too far ahead for this grow cycle.

So what has your experience been with cloning? Do you prefer the gel or powder and why? Thanks!!

ILAL

wt

#2 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:06 PM

Ive used powder and gel together also  just did water rooting alone. Heard aloe vera works.  I saw no difference with just water cloning. My experience.

Edited by Seeker2be, 22 August 2018 - 01:06 PM.

• white threads likes this

#3 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,763 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:05 PM

Willow is a good cloning material also. Free if you know where a willow is lol.

https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/home-made-plant-rooting-hormone-willow-water/

#4 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:24 PM

I use live aloe vera plant ...cut a piece off and dip the clone end in it as if it was gel. Works so perfect.

• onediadem and white threads like this

#5 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,763 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:42 PM

Nice! I have never heard of that and it would be much easier for me considering I have lots of that growing. Even better than willow for me.

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:58 PM

Try a youtube search for cannabis clones aloe vera ...quite a few videos. Enjoy !

#7 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:17 PM

Have never heard of using the willow or aloe for cloning. I will definitely have to try the aloe, have some at home, but also have access to willow so will have to try that also. ALTHOUGH, the cloning powder I bought will prob last FOREVER (big jar).

The difference in how the cuttings react to the cloning agents is what I was really wondering about, and if anyone else had seen similar results. Like I noted, every time I have used the gel, the oldest leaves tend to die off, or at least turn yellow rather quickly. I have use the gels for at least 10 years, and all of the cuttings have reacted pretty much the same. With the powder, every leaf survived and thrived no less. That was a first for me. In either case (gel or powder), I will gently scrape the surface of the cutting to expose the lower layer a little, and I always mist the clones a couple times a day, or more, until they start getting their roots going. So there was no difference in the approach except for the powder.

This site and its members never fail to amaze. Thanks again for the additional info on alternative cloning methods!! Experimenting is where the fun is!!

ILAL

wt

#8 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:04 PM

Ideally you'd soak them overnight in willow-water and then dip into fresh aloe-gel and then into your cloning medium of choice.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!