• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:13 AM

Guh, so I keep getting pins on the brick but they keep aborting after getting a few mm high :/ They start off white stalked and beige capped then their the cap or the stalk starts to blue and turn to mush.

These photos are a few days old but more or less what the sub has looked liked consistently. I've sponged up some of that surface moisture with paper towel.

IMG 20181120 231007

IMG 20181120 231016

IMG 20181120 231025

Edited by 425nm, 24 November 2018 - 12:13 AM.

#82 AsidDragon

AsidDragon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:50 PM

What a pity on the aborts. I found surface moisture to cause contams. Tons of FAE was a key for me. How often did these babies get fanned?

I'm using a TubInTub incubator with a fishtank heater being in the bottom. Have a steady tem of 82°f.

Really happy today as I noticed growth in 2 jars and 2 on agar.

Maybe someone who knows Pans can chime in on the aborts.

Good luck and peace out

#83 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:57 PM

Guh, so I keep getting pins on the brick but they keep aborting after getting a few mm high :/ They start off white stalked and beige capped then their the cap or the stalk starts to blue and turn to mush.
These photos are a few days old but more or less what the sub has looked liked consistently. I've sponged up some of that surface moisture with paper towel.

How are they getting FAE? I don't see holes in the tub.

#84 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:21 AM

How are they getting FAE? I don't see holes in the tub.

Its a dubtub situation so there are no holes. Just a tub on top of another tub just ever so slightly askew to allow some FAE. I also fan it manually like four times a day.

Maybe its still not enough? I'm sort of starting to wonder if the spawn was bacterial in the first place?

Edited by 425nm, 26 November 2018 - 02:28 AM.

• Deleena24 likes this

#85 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:45 AM

I may be wrong, but Pans need lots of FAE, way more than cubes, which will pin /grow fine with that method.

I'm guessing you need at least some holes to go along with the fanning. I have ready they need new air something like 4-8x per hr for best results. That's pretty much constant.

#86 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

I may be wrong, but Pans need lots of FAE, way more than cubes, which will pin /grow fine with that method.

I'm guessing you need at least some holes to go along with the fanning. I have ready they need new air something like 4-8x per hr for best results. That's pretty much constant.

Hmm, well that's makes things trickier. Guess I stick it inside a monotub? Maybe even pop the brick out of the tube that its in to sit on a lid inside the mono so CO2 can't pool around it as readily.

Consulting my copy of "The Mushroom Cultivator":
Pan. cyan.

2 air exchanges per hour is recommended during cropping

Cubensis

1-3 exchanges per hour is recommended during cropping

Edited by 425nm, 27 November 2018 - 02:51 PM.

#87 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:36 PM

Alright I have re-tooled:

IMG 20181127 162620

#88 AsidDragon

AsidDragon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:24 AM

Yo that new setup looks more promising. I'm sure ppl use a SGFC which is ok for FAE. I personally use pc fans attached to a timer. Fanning has always been a prob working away from home.

425nm dude.. you seem to be improving your game. Great stuff. All the best. You should have fruits with that setup.

CO2 falls to the bottom of the tub so having holes there makes sense to me.

Good luck man.

#89 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:25 PM

Definitely better, but is that standing water on the bottom of the tub?

Your RH looks good but standing water is a recipie for contamination.

That book is great, but some of the info is a little outdated.

For instance, we know we can grow cubes invitro now. They are way more tolerant than ever expected. I get huge perfect mushrooms without ever opening or fanning a bag. The 1-3 per hr is definitely not necessary, just a single filter patch.

It is a fact that nobody grows pans with that method. Anybody who is successful will tell you Pans need the extra FAE. It's not optional almost, like cubes.

#90 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 426 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:26 PM

@AsidDragon - thanks, I've had spotty luck with fans. Though that's mostly down to me not taking the time to find a setup that works best for me. Right now I'm home a lot so I can fan manually.

@Deleena24t - It is standing water. What would you recommend in lieu of that? I could salt it. Just misting the sides?

True, it is old. I mostly use it's nutrient tables for subtracted and for a ball park when it comes to species specific info.

Edited by 425nm, 30 November 2018 - 03:31 PM.

#91 AsidDragon

AsidDragon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:43 AM

To be honest I use a tub of standing water with a dash of bleach bleach heated with an aqua heater. That goes in the bottom rack of my martha setup. I place all my trays above that tub. I had no contams in my last B+ grow which yeilded monsterous fruits. I would use a SGFC with another shallow tub inside the base for the same result. Thats with perlite.

Myc like to take its own time. Hope you get pins soon. Fan everytinme you remember ;)

Did you put a casing on this one?
Peace and mush love.

#92 AsidDragon

AsidDragon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:48 AM

Sorry I forgot to mention that I only use perlite in my SGFC. Everything else in my tent doesn't need perlite when I use a tub of water on the bottom rack. This setup gives me an RH of about 99% with perfect temps. ✌

#93 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:18 PM

If it works for ya that's fine.

Yeah salting is a good idea. Bleach works, too.

#94 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

Well I guess we shall see if it works. Its the same block as before, haven't re-cased it or anything. TBH I'm surprised it hasn't contaminated give the amount of abuse its been through : P

Looks like my new LC is ready to roll though! Onwards to new spawn!

IMG 20181201 120133

#95 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:49 PM

Probably shouldn't have said that. The brick contaminated. Ah well, it did its best and mine wasn't good enough.
I've got more spawn cooking so on with the waiting game!

#96 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:14 PM

I've been doing alot of reading on Pans bc my spawn is about ready, and I think your substrate may have been too thick.

Shoot for 1.5 to 2in next time. Everyone seems to get better results with the thinnest possible substrate.

#97 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:05 PM

I've been doing alot of reading on Pans bc my spawn is about ready, and I think your substrate may have been too thick.

Shoot for 1.5 to 2in next time. Everyone seems to get better results with the thinnest possible substrate.

I came to the same conclusion several posts back actually :P

• Deleena24 likes this

#98 Cinatacatanic

Cinatacatanic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:32 PM

Get horse and cow manure. Sterilize it in spawn bags and inoculate them with your grain spawn. Canning jars work too.
Any time i tries bulk spawning like cubes the pannaleous mycelium dies back. Now throwing pasturized manure in a tub and lightly sprinkling grain spawn over the top of sub worked much better. Even better if you keep them dark. Any pan i grew qould pop up quick if given light at spawn but to fast for great colonization.

They love manure and i seen invitro pans in spawn bags or canning jars of manure. The spawn bags just dump them in mono tubs one colonized and the grew great.

I have a thread where i grew pans like cubes in monotubs. Got a pound dry off like eight large mono tubs. Im my thread though ended up with verticilium contamination

#99 Cinatacatanic

Cinatacatanic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:35 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...-pan-tropicals/

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!