Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

:-( Distraught... Bad news... Not yet sure of the wreckage...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:26 PM

Well... The news was bad folks... The old man dropped the ball... Pops, who has been taking care of my house just informed me that he threw breakers at my house while doing some work and forgot to throw some of them back...

Everything in the basement fridge... cooked... bye bye super sweet Euro PE clone et al...

The sump pump breaker... Not thrown back... Flooded basement... = super extensive clean up needed when I get back most likely.... Fog the whole space? It isn't small... Prob have to remove the drywall, framing etc...

Not sure what else was damaged  but everything was down there...

I think I am in shock... Can't be mad though, Dad's always got my back, it was an honest mistake while he was trying to do something nice for me... I haven't been back to the house in months and he has taken care of everything including mowing acres of grass every Sunday... Well... Maybe I am a little mad... IDK how I feel actually.

Fresh starts are cool!! Will have to take stock when I get back and see where we stand...

:tinfoil:  :mad:  :angry:    :ohmy:  :wacko:  :unsure:  :confused:    :thumbs_down:  Lots of emotions right now... Gonna get some sleep soon and come back like this ---> :chucks:  :chucks:

#2 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:49 PM

:sad: My heart goes out to you... I know it's not much, but I am so very sorry for your loss.

I've only just begun my journey into this world of mycology, but already I can tell the amount joy and passion people can invest into this. I can't imagine how you must feel...

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know! 

#3 T0them00N

T0them00N

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:43 AM

Wow PJ, that does suck. Can't fault the Ole man for an honest mistake, trying to help on top of that. I've made some mistakes ... I'm sure your pops feels bad about it too. The good thing about mycology is you can start over. I'm sure it will be enjoyable. Yes it may take some work but that's half the fun right. Some things might be lost.. but they were just an Avenue for what you have ultimately gained overall.
Stay positive
Good vibes your way *
Peace

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,477 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:01 AM

Daaamn I'm sorry Jammer!  Insurance might be able to help with the water damage.  Try not to be mad at dad, it sounds like he has been helping a lot!  I'm sorry you lost your cultures but T0them00n is right--you'll have fun starting over.

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:42 AM

Daaamn I'm sorry Jammer!  Insurance might be able to help with the water damage.  Try not to be mad at dad, it sounds like he has been helping a lot!  I'm sorry you lost your cultures but T0them00n is right--you'll have fun starting over.

I hadn't though very far into it last night... I contacted the insurance company this morning. They will be sending an adjuster. We will probably do most of the work ourselves but once I have it gutted, I will probably have a professional handle the water damage... Then I'll probably handle the water damage again... I'm going to be heartbroken if mold becomes an issue in this house... Now that I have it back, I will be disappointed if this becomes an issue.

I can't be mad at pops... I think he is more upset than I am... 

I had just started to move back to that house after renting it out for the better part of 10 years. The tenants trashed the upper level with holes in the walls etc... Pretty much everything I own was either in the basement in boxes waiting to get moved upstairs once it was fixed up or down the street at my parents... I'm not 100% sure what was in the basement and what is at my folk's place so we will just have to wait and see...

The house already needs a new roof before winter and a renovation so at least I won't be sitting around with nothing to do this fall and winter!!

It's kinda ridiculous... When I bought the house it was 11 or 12 years old with a dry basement... I put in french drains and a sump pump to ENSURE that the basement stayed dry... Figures...

It will be a project filled Autumn! 

#6 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,891 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:05 AM

Damn. That's some very bad luck.

I wouldn't want that disaster on my conscience and I'm sure your dad doesn't either. Mind your words for the next few weeks to be sure no harm is done. Sounds like you and dad have a good relationship already, this could make it better.

From my comfortable distance that appears to be the priority now, house repairs second.

Edited by pharmer, 11 September 2018 - 10:05 AM.

• PJammer24, Skywatcher, Juthro and 1 other like this

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:29 AM

Pops and I are cool... He was working on my house, he didn't have too... He has a  lot on his plate taking care of a 90+ acre farm and adding my little place on top... I am amazed at what he does now that he is pushing 70.

As long as my prints are dry, things will be just fine. Everything else will either dry or can be easily replaced. Fingers crossed that the box with my print binder wasn't on the floor... Zip lock baggies aren't always full proof. I don't think they are in the fridge but I have put them there in the past... I am feeling like a dope for not vacuum-sealing them... This is why they say "plan for the worst and hope for the best" I guess!! If they are in a box, there is a 50-50 chance that box wasn't on the floor, and a much better chance that some or most stayed dry even if they were.

After getting the news from Pops, the details have been coming through Mummy... I think Dad is mad at himself. I may go home next week, dunno yet. Gonna play it by ear. Either way I will be home in a month at longest... 

#8 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,271 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:23 PM

I am up for donating some prints should the need arise. Hopefully, the mold will not be an issue.

• PJammer24, Juthro, PinkMenace and 1 other like this

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,581 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:55 PM

That sucks PJ, sorry it happened to you.  I feel bad for your dad too, I'm sure he feels just as frustrated as you do.  And probably more then a little guilty for it happening on his watch.  I agree it was an honest mistake, and I am not laying blame, but had I done the same thing in the same situation, I would still feel some guilt, no matter what people told me.

I also agree with whats been said above. Whats done is done, and what is damaged can be repaired or replaced. 

Moving on with that process will likely be therapeutic to letting go of the frustration of the situation.  

Godspeed, and good vibes to your repair, and recovery operation.

• PJammer24 likes this

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:14 PM

I am up for donating some prints should the need arise. Hopefully, the mold will not be an issue.

Thank you... I really appreciate the offer! I hope to mitigate the situation without charity... I have a hard time believing my luck is sooo bad that this will be a complete reboot!

If the mold does become an issue, i can park the camper in a carport, park my vehicle in the driveway, and insulate my attached garage... It would take time but I have considered turning part of the garage into a climate controlled positive pressure space... Some of the framing in the basement was intended for a similar space before getting soaked... 

I blame global warming... We surpassed the record for annual precipitation this weekend... Global warming sucks!!

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,590 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

Can you get Pops to put a dehumidifier or two in there?   

Edited by Alder Logs, 11 September 2018 - 04:04 PM.

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:41 PM

Can you get Pops to put a dehumidifier or two in there?   

Already done...

Here is a photo Mummy sent of a canceled festival nearby...

rain

• Alder Logs likes this

#13 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,271 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:16 PM

Holy shit! What a huge bummer! I had a similar experience happen to my home in Tn. While away for 6 months, my roof sprung a pretty bad leak and ruined almost everything in my home. It was all covered in trich and there was no recovering from it as far as grows go. It took me months with pretty heavy face masks to get it livable again. Unfortunately, mycology took a back seat until I moved back to Cali.

#14 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:03 PM

Seconded.

• PJammer24 likes this

#15 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,271 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:28 PM

When a situation like this arises, it is not charity, as we would rally for family any way we could, because I know the family would for me in a heartbeat. This is what makes us the best community on the net.

• pharmer and Pipeline like this

#16 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 448 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:07 AM

Seconded.

Thirded! Tripled? Neither quite rolls off the tongue. I'd be happy to send some spores your way once you're ready for them/if things are truly good and pooched.
Water damage is a nightmare.

#17 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:05 PM

Thank you all for the support!

I will keep you posted as to any new developments...

#18 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:58 PM

update...

By the time I got back to the house it was relatively mitigated... Just finished cutting out some drywall that absorbed a bunch of water. The dehumidifier has been running so it is now really dry. The flow hood got soaked and I am not 100% sure how that effects the filter but it will probably need to be replaced. The flow hood's wood got pretty wet but I think it will be fine.

I just ordered new sterilizer gear that I may or may not trade with my friend to get my others back. I placed an order with Unicorn. It looks like I have a few prints that should be fine, though I may order some more for variety.

All that's really left to do is wait on things to get delivered and bleach the living hell out of things to be safe... And shelving, I may have to get some shelving....

• OldAndMiserable likes this

#19 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:55 PM

Sounds like things turned out to be better than expected! 

#20 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:35 PM

Things were damaged that can be repaired and a shit ton was lost outright... There are things that were lost and can not be replaced. There are things that were lost and will take time to replace. I am a glass half full kinda guy and will be making the most of it...

Things could have been a lot worse... I have good people around me who have helped to make this as painless as possible...

I have had friends at the house for the passed week and a half cleaning and getting things back to where I can relax a little.

• Alder Logs, Pipeline and OldAndMiserable like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!