• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:45 PM

I was wondering if anyone else does this. Before inoculation I wipe my table and bin with bleach/water, then alcohol, then get all my stuff ready, spray the air above the table with lysol, then flip my clear bin/tote with no arm holes upside down(no lid) and slide it off the table edge enough to get my arms up in there. Then I wipe my syringe(s), arms(already showered), hands then gloves with alcohol, then place the jars and syringe under the bin. It's probably not a big deal since bins are cheap and it's probably more akward to reach up in it but I use mine to keep all my clean growing equipment like extra jars, mycobags, cleaning supplies etc. so I didn't want to put holes in it. I will probably make a SAB before I do some more jarsbut I thought I'd share this as I've never seen this method before. Anybody have thoughts???

#2 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:54 PM

I don't know if that exact variation has been done but good job understanding the principle behind the thing and making it work for you. Doesn't exactly sound ergonomic but if its working for you -shrug-. Even with arm holes cut in it you can still store you're kit in it when you're done. If you do get around to cutting holes know that most plastic bins are on the brittle side of things so either melt the holes with the ever popular hot can method or provide some sort of support (backer board) if you're going to use a hole-saw. otherwise the plastic will crack.

Edited by 425nm, 12 September 2018 - 01:54 PM.

• PinkMenace and Billcoz like this

#3 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 732 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:39 PM

Your process makes me happy.

Probably more ergonomic than my SAB holes which are sharp and cut into my arms, sometimes tearing gloves.
  • PJammer24 and Billcoz like this

#4 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:47 PM

LOL. I just didn't feel like going to Wal-Mart so I thought of that. It is awkward for sure reaching in there but it works for now!

#5 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:48 PM

Probably more ergonomic than my SAB holes which are sharp and cut into my arms, sometimes tearing gloves.

That makes me happy!

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:15 PM

That makes me happy!

I love happy!!

as my 2 year old niece says:

"I Love Fun"  -- I also LOVE fun!

• Billcoz likes this

#7 majormillet

majormillet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:28 AM

Why not get some small diameter plastic tubing, split it lengthwise, and use it to cover the sharp edges.  Might save the wear and tear on your arms, and gloves.

• Billcoz likes this

#8 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:02 PM

Well, it's no longer holeless lol. I needed another FC, will be buying another bin. I think it might even be a better method than an SAB, at least ones with a colored lid that you gotta flip over because the sides slope slightly and dust/bullshit from above could fall into the holes(if your arms are out). With the uncut bin pulled off the edge of the table dust would have to blow up from underneath, Though I realize it probably don't make that much difference. Actually, if the bin is kinda small you don't have much room to work or put jars/supplies and can be a bitch to reach, so IDK lol. It's how I'l prolly do it till I build a hood.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!