#1 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,564 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:54 AM

I brought my cacti in to hibernate the other day as we have had fairly severe frost as early as September 15th in my recent memory here and it has been getting chilly here lately. They put on some good growth this year as I had transplanted most of them into much bigger pots and they appreciated it. They seemed very disgruntled to be brought in and left in the dark. I found myself talking to them and fondling them between their spines and trying to comfort them. They did not bite me at all, and I felt like they heard my positive intent. Suddenly I became concerned for the other plants that were brought in with them. Quite a few weeds had sprung up in their pots and I had neglected to remove them. I felt guilt that they will die as I let my cacti go into hibernation and go dry. I felt like they had concern for their companions, but I really don't know how to keep them and the weeds alive and thriving at the same time. Priorities matter here I reckon and my cactus are very high on my priority list. 

They need to hibernate in order not to etoliate and get too tall in the winter. In order to do that they need to go dry. I have genuine empathy for their weed companions but I feel the lives and spirits of my cacti are more important, but maybe only to me...

Am I the only one who is put to this level of discomfort by their empathic feelings? I am truly bummed over it all, but I know how it goes trying to keep them under lights and stuff, it rarely works well through the winters. Just some thoughts I have to deal with my friends lol These cactus have been with me for a long time now, especially 4-5 of them that are almost chest tall and thick and healthy. 

Much love ya'll

• Myc, Skywatcher, wharfrat and 2 others like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:00 AM

I talk to and "communicate" with my cactus all the time. Never needing to hibernate them, only move them to dryer ground in winter is where we vary.

That said, the weeds that grow in the pots with them I consider opportunists, and I remove them, (or in the case of with Bridgesii spines, just thin them down). They are fast turning cycles as compared to the cactus, and have had their day. I don't just trash them though, I toss them onto bare ground where they may seed or even continue growing some times of the year. At the very least, they go back into the ground enriching the soil for future generations.

On the occasion that the "weed" was a small tree from seed, they got repotted as I felt like they wanted to be allowed to be their own star in the shadow of their parents.

No, you are not the only one my friend...................................................

• Coopdog, wharfrat, OldBear and 1 other like this

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:35 AM

Funny, I bond with the plants I raise too. 

I once lost all of my trichos to frost one year. Best to be a little vigilant than to be a couple of hours too late. 

Since I typically top-dress the pots with coarse aggregate there are usually not too many volunteer "weeds".  I do have to be careful not to bring in a black widow as they like to nest in the spiny forest created by the cacti. I tend to notice the arachnids as being companions - or inhabitants of the forest. 

It's fun to watch the hummingbirds robbing nesting materials from the spider webbing which gets strung between the columns. So there turns out to be a small microcosm arranged even around the cactus pots. 

Gardening sure lends some perspective. 

• Coopdog, coleman318, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#4 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,564 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:06 AM

I used to think of weeds differently than I do now. My Lakota friend once showed me a garden that looked like a big field full of weeds, at the end of the year the plants he loved and cherished thrived above all of the so called "weeds". Since then I have come to think of weeds as that which you do not love... and they have a right to live just the same and they all thrive together. I sure miss my old brother who passed last year, and I sure learned a lot from him. 

• Myc, Skywatcher and OldBear like this

#5 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,564 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:10 AM

Myc, last fall I lost a few too, and damaged all the rest that survived. That is why I bring em in early now. I posted the pics of the damage. I got frostbit once BAD on Sept 15th growing a shitload of marijuana. I won't risk my cacti after mid sept since even if it is in the 50's at night now. The Bridgessii's took it harder than the Pachanois did. 

Edited by Coopdog, 17 September 2018 - 02:10 AM.

• Myc and Skywatcher like this

#6 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:33 AM

I think of weeds as soil amenders helping build up a healthy fungal and bacterial community below the surface of the dirt. Yes, they steal some of the nutrients the cacti might use but cactus roots can always break up some more granules of minerals to keep growing.

Unless they're shading short cuts or columns I let them live until they're 6 inches tall or so then shear their little heads off.

When it's time to bring the columns in for the winter all the weeds get pulled. Don't need the seeds etc getting all over the basement. Allergies ya' know.....

• Myc, Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#7 T0them00N

T0them00N

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:10 AM

Life is an amazing thing, yes. Certain plants thrive in soils deficient in one thing or another. I view "weeds" as a soil amender as well. I use them as a sign of something lacking in one way or another ... if I amend the soil and pull the weed there is no purpose for the weed any longer. It served its purpose in letting me know what needs to be done with the soil. So they do have a significant value to me. I even use some "weeds" as cover crops and living mulch for other plants in a symbiotic relationship.
  • Coopdog likes this

#8 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:09 PM

Maybe it's time for a "Of Mice and Men" moment - take them all to the lake, cap 'em with a Luger, and make a sick batch of syrup?

Ok - wait - that's horrible. 

I am a truly horrible person.

Not a LAKE, but maybe, like ... a really dusty, dry spot? 

I'm not a cactus guy.  Just trying to help.

:)

soliver

• Coopdog likes this

#9 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,564 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:58 AM

Soliver I am not above that sort of thing either. I love them all but would not hesitate to sacrifice them and let them take me into the stars. The nice thing about them though, is that you don't have to. You can simply take a hunk and go on enjoying your growing relationship with the spirit you have bonded to. :)

• Soliver and Skywatcher like this

#10 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:44 PM

Soliver I am not above that sort of thing either. I love them all but would not hesitate to sacrifice them and let them take me into the stars. The nice thing about them though, is that you don't have to. You can simply take a hunk and go on enjoying your growing relationship with the spirit you have bonded to. :)

I've always wanted to try the cactus, but my house / property is the opposite of ideal ... it's dank AF in the summers and cold AF in the winters, and I've heard cacti don't do well with wood heat & the hot / dry / cold cycle ... alas. 

Cool that you can chop half off and keep the rest going.  Wish they'd make a cow like that ...

:)

soliver

#11 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,564 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:42 AM

I don't heat my house for the most part, but winters here are fairly mild compared to most of the country. I bring mine in in the fall and leave thenm in my unheated bathroom with some styrofoam insulation over the window to cut down on the light coming in, and they hibernate fine. It DOES sometimes get down close to freezing in there in the colder parts of the winter, but it is the actual frost from the Dew that damages them I think. No frost in there and they do fine since I started putting the styrofoam over the window. The light from the window was making them etoliate and grow too tall and skinny in the winter before I did that. If you ever wanna give it a shot let me know. 

• coorsmikey likes this

#12 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:08 PM

I started looking in the nurseries when I'm in Lowes, Wally World, etc and have found quite a selection of active cactus named by their scientific true calling. They don't seem to know or care what they have for sale as long as they disappear and money replaces them. They do amazingly well in my area, desert like hotter than hell until now then it's nice until Mar and it's hotter than hell again. Mine grow tight and small but lots of babies and spreading occur. It's not like I talk to them much, they have filled my hands with really nasty spines that are almost impossible to remove, or see for that matter. I like that they can go weeks without water, cuz that's the norm around here. Nothing else grows like that.

• Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#13 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,564 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:35 AM

Damn nice to see you around Brother Happy. Glad you are still kicking and doing well as I had not seen you around in a long time. Your cacti will do better and grow faster if you water them weekly. The Trich's are not like other cacti in that they thrive with some ferts and regular watering. They are probably more potent if you let them grow slowly, but they will grow pretty damn fast if you wet em from time to time. I watered mine a lot this summer as they really took some damage in the spring when they apparently got a pretty good frost. They put on a lot of girth this summer with the extra water. 

Peace brother and I hope you are still rocking regularly! 

#14 JustinAskin

JustinAskin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:42 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about I grow weed... And hopefully mushroom soon. 

I find my self talking to the plans all the time while touching them and smelling them.

I will also smoke a join and play guitar for them LOL.... i know it sounds weird but i think they appreciate it.

Happy Growing!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!