• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 spakk

spakk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:05 PM

Prepared twelve twelve jars of substrate (per Magic for the Masses). Made a glove box by cutting 5 inch holes in one side and putting a piece of weather stripping along the cover edge. Cleaned out the inside with 70% alcohol and inverted it. Put in the foil-topped jars and sprayed Lysol into the holes. Waited a bit, placed alcohol soaked paper towel in box along with spore syringe. Donned tyvek arm sleeves and alcohol cleaned nitrile gloves then opened the needle and flamed it on an alcohol burner set outside the box (tip cherry red). Small air bubble already in needle syringe, so agitated, held needle up to get air out and cooled needle with small amount of solution. Wiped needle (with ETOH towel in glove box) between jars. I started with about 11cc, but only got as far as 8 jars before exhausting my supply. Tried for 1/4cc per jar hole, but the early jars may have exceeded that slightly. Now I wait.

Edited by spakk, 16 September 2018 - 04:04 PM.

• Sidestreet, T0them00N, Cuboid and 2 others like this

#2 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 593 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:02 PM

welcome  ! good luck !

• spakk likes this

#3 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,907 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:30 AM

Sounds like you did a good job. All my hopes for a successful go!

• spakk likes this

#4 T0them00N

T0them00N

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:35 AM

Good vibes to your grow spakk, it sounds like you covered all your steps from the info provided. Good job on doing some research. Keep us updated

Edited by T0them00N, 18 September 2018 - 12:50 AM.

#5 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,570 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:48 AM

You dont need to blast your still air box with lysol or alcohol. The lysol may lead to mutation and it's all totally unnecessary. You can put some mild soapy water in a spray bottle and simply spritz the inside of the box with the soapy water before inverting it, then wait 20 minutes and get to work. It's a still air box not a sterile air box and not a chemical air box. Also I highly recommend you do not wipe the needle with alcohol, although some fine characters around here seem to do this it's not a good practice. Flame needle and dribble out solution to cool needle.

• Sidestreet, Da-1 and DreamingRaven like this

#6 spakk

spakk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:27 PM

You dont need to blast your still air box with lysol or alcohol. The lysol may lead to mutation and it's all totally unnecessary. You can put some mild soapy water in a spray bottle and simply spritz the inside of the box with the soapy water before inverting it, then wait 20 minutes and get to work. It's a still air box not a sterile air box and not a chemical air box. Also I highly recommend you do not wipe the needle with alcohol, although some fine characters around here seem to do this it's not a good practice. Flame needle and dribble out solution to cool needle.

Thanks. The signal-to-noise on this topic is pretty high, so it's good get some clarity.

• sandman and Soliver like this

#7 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,476 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:44 AM

I'm with Sandman 100% on the lysol.  That stuff is nasty and it's dangerous to concentrate it in a box while there is fire nearby. 

I don't know if I would want to do agar work without a spritz of dilute bleach water in the air inside and outside the box, though.  Maybe it's just what I'm comfortable with but...

If I'm just doing PF jars, then yeah, I'm not so worried about the bleach.

As far as alcohol, what I used to do with PF jars was flame sterilize the needle one time and then wipe with alcohol in between every jar and even for refills from the spore water until I was done with that particular syringe.  Worked great.

Edited by Sidestreet, 19 September 2018 - 04:44 AM.

• spakk likes this

#8 spakk

spakk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:34 PM

My celium

Things are looking up.

• onediadem and Cuboid like this

#9 spakk

spakk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:08 PM

My celium plus20a

Twenty days later at about 69-70 degrees average. Will try to boost temp a bit. What's a good method in a closed cabinet (periodically opened)?

Also, the longer it goes, the more I wonder about moisture availability in the substrate. Does that become an issue?

• Amanita Versicula and ShroomyTravellerFromAfar like this

#10 spakk

spakk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 05:46 PM

Well, made a heat bomb with an old 50W submersible fish tank heater. Put it in a SodaStream bottle filled with warm salt water. Sealed by using a black rubber stopper (about a #8) with two holes. Sliced down through one of the holes - to the outside diameter - a few times to create a slot for the power cord to pass through. The other hole fit down partially over the temperature adjuster knob. Pressed down into the bottle, it keeps the heater aligned and away from the sides. Pre-set the temp to about 85 degrees and set it in the center of my glove box, cord running out one of the hand holes. Covered the hand holes with clear shipping tape (easy to remove with little residue). Set the top on loosely and am monitoring the temp/humidity (humidity not really an issue yet) with a BlueMaestro 'pebble,' set to check temp every 10 minutes.

#11 Newmusher

Newmusher

New

• Free Member
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:04 PM

85 is a little high, imo. Remember, mycelium generates its own heat as well, so you might be cooking the centers of the jars at that temp. The insude of the jars will be a couple-few degrees higher than the ambient temp around them.

Personally, i never felt the need to incubate, but id probably set it closer to 76-78

#12 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,028 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:42 PM

Ha Heatbombs and parachute pants bring backs some memories for sure. Was that the same decade of big bangs?

#13 spakk

spakk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:23 PM

85 is a little high, imo. Remember, mycelium generates its own heat as well, so you might be cooking the centers of the jars at that temp. The inside of the jars will be a couple-few degrees higher than the ambient temp around them.

Personally, i never felt the need to incubate, but id probably set it closer to 76-78

The thermostat setting may insure the water in the bottle gets to 85 degrees, but the air temp in the box is another story. Since it went in it has dropped from 69.3 to 66.3 degrees - and that was starting with water from the tap warmer than 85 degrees. I've moved the jars closer to the bottle now and fully closed the top of the container (which was only open about 1/2" along one edge).

I had moved the whole shebang from a first floor cabinet to the somewhat cooler basement - so there's that.  I may have to relocate it again to the first floor.

#14 spakk

spakk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:28 PM

Ha Heatbombs and parachute pants bring backs some memories for sure. Was that the same decade of big bangs?

I like parachute pants.

I'm going from Magic for the Masses among others. Is this a case of, 'it it ain't broke, don't fix it'?  If you have a suggestion - I'm mostly ears.

• onediadem and Amanita Versicula like this

#15 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:37 AM

Incubating is one of the things that went from a requirement to unneccesary. High temperatures can speed colonization, but also speeds up contamination as well. I usually don't even check temperatures as long as it's 68 or higher.
  • spakk likes this

#16 spakk

spakk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:23 AM

Incubating is one of the things that went from a requirement to unneccesary. High temperatures can speed colonization, but also speeds up contamination as well. I usually don't even check temperatures as long as it's 68 or higher.

That was my concern as it's starting to get cooler as the seasons change. With the heater in the tub, and a couple of small bath mats over the top, it has stabilized at about 69-70 degrees.

Edited by spakk, 09 October 2018 - 11:24 AM.

#17 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Sanity Within

• OG VIP
  • 256 posts

Donator

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:02 AM

That was my concern as it's starting to get cooler as the seasons change. With the heater in the tub, and a couple of small bath mats over the top, it has stabilized at about 69-70 degrees.

Depending on how many i have- i sometimes use the heating pad in a small box.

My house is NOT warm-by far.

NOT like most people live. And most other chicks would be moaning that it's too cold.

Don't like it COLD-but i get to pay the bills. Yippee+

Good luck~

• onediadem likes this

#18 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,907 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:41 AM

I annoy everyone around me because I love it cold. The colder the better. I am still running my air conditioner and everyone is wearing jackets lol.

#19 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:10 PM

For PF jar innoculations, I don't use a SAB or glove box or anything - hell, it can't hurt (well, the lysol actually could, I guess) but a small closet / room with zero air flow (or as close as you can get - close the door) spritzed with a good misting of dilute bleach is as far as I go.

Sometimes I'll put on rubber gloves, as they make me feel cool, like I'm about to perform a body-cavity search at the airport.

Heating your jars artificially can make them sweat on the inside, and that's not what you want - you want that moisture to stay in the substrate.  Reasonable temps are all you need.  If you can comfortably sleep in the room, so can your mushrooms IME.

If your room seems a bit cool, put your jars in a cardboard box on top of your fridge - that'll boost the temps a few degrees without much fuss.  If it's really cold in the house, put 'em on top of your stereo receiver (if you still have one) or behind some other electronic doohickity.  Modern houses have all kinds of warm crannies  these days.

:)

soliver

• spakk likes this

#20 spakk

spakk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:25 PM

Two or three of the more advanced jars are getting closer to being fully colonized. However, I'm seeing a slight discoloration. Any reason to be concerned?

My celium5

• ShroomyTravellerFromAfar likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!