6 replies to this topic

#1 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,764 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:28 PM

My propane grill used to leave grill marks and char meat in a hurry.

Now it gets pretty damned hot but not hot enough to do the charring

I've replaced the regulator and no change in the char-ability

Guesses as to what else might be behind this sub par performance???

Are there different "sizes" of regulators? Like maybe this new one is somehow downsized?

or what?

Thanks

#2 majormillet

majormillet

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:13 PM

Check the burner and see if it needs cleaning.

• Myc likes this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,001 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:42 PM

I would also start by disassembling and cleaning the burner of any rust and scale, and making sure the venturi is clear of spider webs, and mud dobber nests.

When it's lit  does the flame burn a clean blue color, and leaves no soot?  If its yellow or orange and leaves soot, then your not getting a good air/fuel mix.   A leaner fuel mix will burn hotter, and cleaner.

Edited by Juthro, 20 September 2018 - 02:43 PM.

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:32 PM

Subscribed.

#5 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:02 PM

I would also start by disassembling and cleaning the burner of any rust and scale, and making sure the venturi is clear of spider webs, and mud dobber nests.

When it's lit  does the flame burn a clean blue color, and leaves no soot?  If its yellow or orange and leaves soot, then your not getting a good air/fuel mix.   A leaner fuel mix will burn hotter, and cleaner.

Both Juthro and majormillet are right on the money. Its almost always the burner assembly. I just dealt with this problem last night with a crab ring. The burner was so rusted to hell it was beyond saving. Couldn't even disassemble it for cleaning it was so rusty.

Most propane regulators that come with bbqs are factory set ( at 10PSI I think, it should be printed on the regulator). The parts responsible for what pressure you are getting are enclosed in the regulator so unless its been sitting out in the rain or has been getting dropped pretty hard its very unlikely that is your problem.

You can get adjustable regulators (look for hose fittings stores in your local industrial area) but your decrease in performance is much more likely due to the burners/air intakes plugging up with rust/charred stuff.

I'd check the o-ring on the fitting that attaches to your propane tank (the one that connects to the BBQ itself is usually a metal-metal gas tight fitting. No o-ring required)  while you are at it. Its not the source of your problem but if the rubber is starting to degrade you'll want to replace it.

#6 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,558 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:16 PM

There are 2 types of common regulators since you asked. High Pressure and Low Pressure regulators. I'm pretty sure that a grill would use the low pressure regulator which are the most common. High pressure ones are for crazy large and jet type propane burners.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#7 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:38 PM

There are 2 types of common regulators since you asked. High Pressure and Low Pressure regulators. I'm pretty sure that a grill would use the low pressure regulator which are the most common. High pressure ones are for crazy large and jet type propane burners.

I have an adjustable 0-20PSI (maybe 30?) regulator for the venturi forge burners I built : D

Edited by 425nm, 20 September 2018 - 07:38 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!