Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Camping with psychedelics; advice needed.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 coleman318

coleman318

MycoStudious

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:09 PM

It seems ever since I was a teenager I had wanted to go on some psychedelic camping trip with close friends, and all of my close friends all agreed it would be a very good idea. But as time approaches for a friend and I to do just that the details are kind of bothering me and I was looking for wisdom.

I was thinking since I would be going into the woods with only one other person a gun would be nice to have, but getting a gun would be possible but time consuming as the only person that would understand (I believe) likes 45min away each direction.
So why not be true Americans and create our tools from the land. Spears or what not lol.
Then it dawned on me, what if when I was tripping I thought it would be a good idea to make a sacrifice to the gods and slice my hand in the middle of a full blown trip.

How do people protect themselves, I know I have sharp objects, knives, etc at home but they aren't nearby in case I need them. I just don't have to live like that at home thinking about defending myself (besides the blunt objects near my bed in case someone broke in) I'm aware of those when I go to bed at night. But that's about it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Tazer / mace / bear spray / staff? Lol.

This could possibly be a thread on objects that can hurt people w/ much lower chance of hurting oneself. Eg. A staff.

Thanks mycotopia. I plan on going Sunday and Monday so not much time!
  • Coopdog likes this

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:19 PM

Do you often think of cutting yourself with a knife in sacrifice to a god while tripping ? I think I’d try my luck with the bear If I was your friend lol

I would suggest camping in the area first before tripping

Maybe a quiet state park or local camp ground would be better for a first time

I would be more concerned about activating and discharging a can of bear spray the wrong way or not in time consindeing motor and sensory skills will be twisted

Bats have been used for zombies countless times

Read up on bear safety. More concern at night when your asleep then while your awake and making noise. Attach fairy balls to robins and sparkley things and sing the theme to the smurfs while hiking or dancing round the camp fire and you should be fine

Edited by PsyBearknot, 21 September 2018 - 09:22 PM.

• coorsmikey, Coopdog and Cigarsam like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,444 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:42 PM

I have taken the majority of my psychedelic experiences in the woods, and various deserts. My main "must haves" are water, and something to eat. When staying overnight, the makings for a campfire and enough wood to last all night, and sometimes a light shelter. 

I have never carried more than a utilitarian knife.

You did not say what you would be taking, but it sounds like you have not been in the embrace of the woods before under these circumstances. Are you going to need to hike in? Is the area one you have been to before and have some familiarity with?

Depending on how deep you plan to go trip wise, I can tell you my own experience with a full on journey, is if I have a campfire, I tend to stay reasonably close, but even so, I have many times returned to this reality missing most everything I had with me including clothing, So I strongly recommend setting up a camp to call your space.

I think the idea is to get closer and immersed in the natural living world. I personally would not enter that without some idea where I am, and have never felt a need to be armed to the gills. 

• onediadem, Coopdog, Juthro and 3 others like this

#4 coleman318

coleman318

MycoStudious

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:12 PM

No hike in off a relatively busy road where you can drive to the campsite. Definitely not deep woods but far enough out to be slightly concerned.

#5 coleman318

coleman318

MycoStudious

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:13 PM

I have never been but my best friend has who made the suggestion based on a few concerns I had.

#6 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,444 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:23 PM

Would this be a campground? Will you be with a bunch of other overnighters with tents or campers?

Not IMO an ideal location if you get wild and have neighbors who aren't cool. Maybe there is someplace accessible thats not so public?

If you are not well familiar with firearms, I would say leave the gun at home.

Edited by Skywatcher, 21 September 2018 - 10:38 PM.

• Coopdog, Juthro and T0them00N like this

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,852 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:57 PM

You WILL NOT NEED A GUN! I own several guns and would never consider having one present while tripping in nature with most likely the best company youll ever meet. Even grizzly bears wont eat you while you're in the spirit world. Fuck that idea and just get rid of it. You ARE much safer tripping out in nature than in the city. If you feel you need protection the you need protection from yourself. What would you so if you did have a gun? Would you truly want to inflict injury or death on another? That I guarantee will be a horrible experience!

Ok enough of that shit. Get out in nature and trip! You will be truly enlightened and amazed with what you encounter. It is nothing to be compared with as such as watching netflix with incandescent lighting. I am not trying to be a dick, but if you haven't tripped with nature you haven't tripped yet. Unless one of the tripee's do something stupid (like bring a gun or act like and idiot) you will be peace with nature. Maybe even have a bear or coyote sit with you and stare at the stars.

• Coopdog, Skywatcher, Alder Logs and 6 others like this

#8 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,685 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:46 PM

Definitely no weapons, period. Especially for first trips. I would recommend a trip sitter to keep logic in this equation. After that, your next trips you will know what to expect. I so don't want to read about a maniac tripping balls in the woods shooting bears, or rangers for that matter on the news.

• Coopdog, Skywatcher, Alder Logs and 3 others like this

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,940 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:14 AM

There is no place for a gun, or any any other weapons on any trip. 

You need a place you can feel safe and comfortable BEFORE you trip.  Find a good spot where no one will bother you, and you wont bother no one else.   And for a first go, take One's advice and bring a sober sitter that can handle the crowd that he is dealing with.

Bring some light sticks, flashlights, plenty of liquids, and munchies.   Bring good music, and bring firewood.....  But don't bring no weapons, there is no need for that.   If there is, you shouldn't be tripping there.

If they (weapons) aren't there, they can do no harm to anyone, 'ya dig?.  (If I was Canadian I could have said,"'eh?")

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, Alder Logs and 2 others like this

#10 coleman318

coleman318

MycoStudious

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:19 AM

No guns, no weapons outside of a normal folding knife and a Swiss army knife. Never manifested about weapons or hurting myself or anyone tripping or sober at baseline. I will not want to be at a location with "neighbors" persay unless they happened to be far away and or on a psychedelic camp trip as well lol. Thanks for the feedback everyone I appreciate it.
  • Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#11 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:26 AM

Lest I say anything rude I will keep this brief.
Please see this helpful guide made by the government of British Columbia regarding bear encounters. Frankly if a bear encounter is a serious concern where you're planning to camp I would not take mushrooms. Everything you need to do is the literal opposite of what your fight or flight response wants from you. Mushrooms will make that very hard to do.

If I am reading your post right. Your friend suggesting weapons as a solution to your bear anxiety/possible reality exhibits extremely questionable judgement regarding not only drugs but also safety in the woods. If they were at all serious I would not camp with them.

Trying to fight a bear is a terrible idea. Doesn't matter what you are using. Doesn't matter if its a black bear or a grizzly. People that manage to kill bears either get extremely lucky (but probably also mauled) or they've shot it from a distance.

• Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#12 T0them00N

T0them00N

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:36 AM

If you're scared of going to the woods without a gun or protection you might not wanna trip balls.... I doubt you will enjoy it. I reccomend NOT going to an area where there is a need to protect yourself. I've been camping, a lot and have never taken a gun with me. Im still here to tell about it, and I've ran into the occasional bear too. Another point, guns aren't allowed in state parks in America. Most wildlife will be scared shitless of you. Pots and pans should be enough to scare a things away don't leave food around Good luck
.. remember set and setting
  • Skywatcher likes this

#13 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,499 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:27 AM

OK I will play the devil's advocate here, as I have tripped literally hundreds of times with a gun close at hand. Never a single time picked one up or interacted with one when I was tripping. That being said I am a strong 2nd amendment supporter and I never go out in the deep woods without one. Like a fire extinguishe it is better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it. I do not suggest huddling around your firearm all night in a paranoid delusion, and pray that is not your mindset too. I have went way deep and never even entertained the thought of picking up a gun to deal with the spirit world. My mindset is that if I am impaired by anything that the guns are not to be touched, but I certainly take one along any time I go out into the woods. Not afraid of animals, but I have been fucked with by two leggeds out in the woods before, and that is scarier than any animal experience and sometimes they won't just go away. Call me a paranoid fuckhead all you want to, I will never be caught in that sort of situation again. If you are the type to get carried away and trip the hell out, kindly disregard this message. I am not that kinda guy. If drama comes up I come back to reality like the turn of a switch no matter what the hell I am on. Just saying...

Edited by Coopdog, 22 September 2018 - 04:31 AM.

• Skywatcher and MycoAnt81 like this

#14 Pipeline

Pipeline

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 08:26 AM

I’m going to assume a few things:

It sounds like neither of you is currently a gun owner.

It sounds as if neither of you are avid campers / outdoorsmen (or women).

I get the feeling that neither are seasoned psychonauts.

I would not want to start a trip with an adversarial tone towards my environment in the first place. I would not want to feel like I was venturing into a place that I needed to prepare to do battle and then try to enjoy an experience that is going to take me to an altered state where I may need to be receptive to hallucinatory stimuli.

For me, I am never comfortable around someone with a weapon that they are not completely and utterly comfortable with. Most of my friends and I carry concealed daily and you would never know it because it is no different than putting our shoes on. With that being said I still put the sidearm away when I take a trip.

Please listen to what Mikey and others are telling you. This is possibly the single worst idea I can think of. I will literally get on my knees and beg you to please rethink this idea. I gather from your post at 2am that you realize the gravity of such a course of action. I am just late to the party and hope I am not pilling on.

Honestly I hope you are safe and have an outwardly appearing uneventful camping trip and a great trip experience. Be safe. Use common sense. Get close to nature and remember the most dangerous animal has two legs.
  • Coopdog, Skywatcher and T0them00N like this

#15 coleman318

coleman318

MycoStudious

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:53 AM

I don't know where I went wrong but I definitely need to clear things up. I am the one concerned about safety. I'm the one that entertained the idea of bringing protection. I trip all the time. I have owned plenty of firearms in the past. I go in the woods a lot. I just have always tripped at home, friends houses in the woods, bowling alleys, downtown, funerals, you name it. I was just figuring out what people thought since psychedelics and guns sound bad, but also going out in the woods with no protection is the exact opposite of what I was raised to do.

Edited by coleman318, 22 September 2018 - 10:03 AM.

• Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#16 coleman318

coleman318

MycoStudious

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:56 AM

Two conflicting beliefs just wanting some opinions. I have had plenty of experience camping, using firearms, and psychdelics just not all at once. That hopefully will make people feel better that some guy doesn't go kill a bunch of people in the woods.

#17 coleman318

coleman318

MycoStudious

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:00 AM

Do you often think of cutting yourself with a knife in sacrifice to a god while tripping ? I think I’d try my luck with the bear If I was your friend lol

I would suggest camping in the area first before tripping

Maybe a quiet state park or local camp ground would be better for a first time

I would be more concerned about activating and discharging a can of bear spray the wrong way or not in time consindeing motor and sensory skills will be twisted

Bats have been used for zombies countless times

Read up on bear safety. More concern at night when your asleep then while your awake and making noise. Attach fairy balls to robins and sparkley things and sing the theme to the smurfs while hiking or dancing round the camp fire and you should be fine

Thank you bear for the advice.

#18 Pipeline

Pipeline

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:08 AM

You have my sincerest apology. I did not mean to offend. Please be safe whichever you decide to do.

#19 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,852 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:12 AM

This actually a pretty good thread. Good topic to be discussed and very informative for others to come.

The point about having a gun has been hit pretty hard. I want to reiterate though the part about nature. If you are not the freak out kind of person when tripping or in general. Tripping in nature will bring you closer to nature and as one with it. I have had several animals on many different trip act if I was just part of their normal surroundings. That they could sense I was tripping and that I would be no threat. I have had deer come up and sniff me and continues grazing while standing next to me. Families of racoons come up and play with our glow sticks and other psychedelic toys. I'll say that is a pretty cool feeling and definitely strengthens my bond with how I respect other life.
  • Coopdog, Skywatcher and T0them00N like this

#20 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:36 AM

You have my sincerest apology. I did not mean to offend. Please be safe whichever you decide to do.

Coleman
I think with your post count you have been around to see how our members and staff work. We care deeply about the safety of our brothers and sisters and of our recreational and spiritual pursuits. Typed text is difficult to read into the emotions. So some times some one being passionate about their response can come off strong (not a
In reference to pipeline ).

If you do go on this journey consider a trip report after so we can share in the journey you took, if you feel comfortable at that time
  • Coopdog, Skywatcher, Juthro and 2 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!