Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Camping with psychedelics; advice needed.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,929 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2018 - 11:11 AM

A staff may come in handy! :deadhorse: May also be used a walking stick  :chucks: Help you balance while wondering through the woods :ph34r:

• onediadem, Coopdog, coleman318 and 1 other like this

#22 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,029 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

This thread made me think of a funny bumper sticker:  Warning: I brake for hallucinations.

Another thing occurred to me, would I want to have a long gun or a short gun when a wounded and angry bear decided to shove it up my ass? 

This is a very good thread.

gallery_131808_1351_20272.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 22 September 2018 - 11:22 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#23 coleman318

coleman318

MycoStudious

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:17 PM

You have my sincerest apology. I did not mean to offend. Please be safe whichever you decide to do.

I respect this board immensely. Yes maybe it struck a cord but you do bring up a good point. Obviously one post isn't enough to know me so you must draw conclusions based on me asking for feedback. Even though I felt upset, at that moment, I understand what you are saying and the concerns.

Edited by coleman318, 22 September 2018 - 05:18 PM.

• onediadem, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#24 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:30 AM

Oh an in response to someones words on here, I never go anywhere to be combative, but I am not there as a victim either. Just sayin'! I would never suggest that anybody carry a gun, but I would never suggest that they don't either, unless I know them personally and see in real life that it is not a good option for them. Being SAFE is the most important thing said here in all of these posts. I bet you are going to have a good time regardless...

• onediadem, coorsmikey, PsyBearknot and 1 other like this

#25 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,859 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:04 AM

If you're going to go camping to trip, the #1 rule is don't forget the drugs.

After that it's location, location, location. I cannot trip at a site that I can drive to. If I can drive to it, others can too and the mere possibility of that happening is too distracting/anchoring and makes for a generally unpleasant time (for me, at least).

A car-camping campsite would be my base camp, and I'd hike around for a while (as long as it takes) scouting for both good spots and potential 'issues' with the area. You might think you're way out by yourself, but unless you peeked over any nearby ridges or otherwise explored your surroundings you won't really know for sure. And that certainty can be very helpful later. It's prudent to do this any time you're camping, tripping or not. I also like to pick a spot where I can have a fire at night that no one else would be able to see. If I can't find a spot where I feel fully at ease, I won't trip.

Anyway, after scouting a good trip spot, I bring the basics up from my base camp (water, blanket, ground pad) taking care to not to use (or create) an obvious trail. I say "up" because I generally prefer high ground. This way, if weird shit happens then engaging with it would be my choice since I could just hunker down in my stealthy spot until the weirdness passes or wait to return to baseline and deal with it as a relatively sober person.

Night tripping near water (especially in places with relatively little water) can get interesting as whatever lives in the area drops by for a drink. I've heard some pretty freaky sounds of stuff scraping over rocks, uttering low guttural grows, or heavy (and clearly non-human) breathing accompanied by disturbingly-large sounding four-legged footsteps during night trips in camps I made close to watering holes (and that shit went on all night long, lol). My gf and I built our campfire up a lot bigger than usual that night, lol.

If it's cold, I go where there's good Sun exposure (for a day trip) or protection from wind, depending. My feet went completely numb and were on their way to frostbite on one trip when I fasted for 24 hours and the temp got to ~20F during the day (that was the high) because I picked the wrong spot (in shade) and tied my boots too tight. I moved to a sunny spot that didn't have any snow on the ground (it looked like a warm beacon of salvation from my icy perch up the hill) and loosened up my boots; it was all good after that (the condition of my feet had been starting to scare the hell out of me). So even moving a mere 100' (and retying your footwear, if necessary) can make a HUGE difference in the nature of one's experience.

I've hiked all over the place in California, Arizona, Colorado, Tennessee, Alabama, Hawaii, plus a few other places and I have never carried a firearm. I would sometimes go in for over a week at a time, and often off-trail with just a map and compass. I only wished that I had a weapon on two occasions (though I didn't truly need one either time, fortunately); once when my gf and I encountered an off-leash pit bull that came on us out of nowhere but turned out to be friendly (though I wasn't very friendly to the owner when they caught up to their dog) and the other was when we hiked through what turned out to be a fake cattle ranch where large volumes of drugs were likely stored after being smuggled into the US (this was outside Tucson). They saw my car and sent out guys on dirt bikes and pickup trucks with AK-47's on their backs to look for us, but we managed to slip away unseen (it's quite a story since we'd brought my gf's mother along for her first trip ever that time). So maybe don't cut through really sketchy private property on your way to trip. :tinfoil: Note that both of those encounters took place while we were on trails (actually a dirt road in the case of the ranch).

Oh, and take great care if tripping anywhere near the US/Mexico Border. We had two helicopters show up and hover over us for a while when myself and two friends dosed on the sand dunes in California near Yuma (we were 1/4 mile from the border). They turned off their spotlights (I was watching them flying a grid pattern along the border with the brightest spotlights I'd ever seen) when they spotted me and flew straight to our campsite, and I could see the dim red light of the infra-red illuminator on the pod under the helicopters lighting us up in IR like a glowing red eye in the sky so I knew they could see us plain as day. They left after I pulled my driver's license out of my wallet and held it up to show them, along with flashing a 'peace' sign, lol. It was kind of surreal. So maybe avoid international Borders when tripping, too.

And of course don't forget to have some tasty snacks/food waiting for you back at your base camp (or in the car, depending).

TL;DR: Listen to your intuition/gut feelings/Inner Vision (whatever you prefer to call that inner voice that we ignore at our peril).

• onediadem, Coopdog and Alder Logs like this

#26 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,166 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:42 PM

Hey!

Holy shit you're scaring me.  I don't know if you're a kid, or just someone experimenting with fire, but step back.  Way back.

Guns?

First off, 

Let me say unequivocally that no differently than wild animals have defenses against predation, so too can human beings.  We live in a complicated world, and there are real threats pretty much everywhere.  I have been involved during an event of, shall we say... vulnerability?  I would blame my attacker, but no more.  I see it somewhat like a scientist does now... there is pressure like a gas, seeking to expand into the vessel that contains it.  In that way, I was a weak spot that something found.  No more.  Not only do I carry a .38 everywhere I go, but I am also armed with my wits, experience, and common sense.

So, that being said, take that gun and leave it at home if you're going shrooming.  Notice I didn't say "camping."  Now, if you're going camping, and you're out in the great white north full of lions and tigers and grizzly bears oh my, let someone else who isn't going to be involved whatsoever in the mystical arts handle that side of the equation.  Don't even leave it to yourself to know where the metal object is, nor even think about it, not that it would happen anyway if you're in the right frame of mind.

If you feel in any way that you're under some kind of threat, now is not the time to go shrooming.

As far as that blood stuff goes, I have no idea what you're talking about there.  If it were me, I would let that idea go, drop it to the ground like a hot potato.

Unless you think that threat is beyond immediate, something you can't put your finger on, that kind of thing.  Of course, assessing threats is what we do as living beings, but it's important not to get paranoid.

Your camping trip sounds fun.  Do it!  Get out, have a great time.  Talk with friends and whatever.  Have a blast!

Gonna shroom?  Be ready for things to get heavy and kinda wacky.  My advice is to feel it out long before, waaaaay before whether or not you feel safe enough already to do such a thing.  You gotta know already if things are cool, safe, and right for something that can get heavy and wacky.  If it doesn't feel right, if defense (as you've described it) is an issue, you're in the wrong place/time.  Leave it at that.  Let a good time and place present itself when it does.  Don't push the issue, force has a kind of side-effect.

Anyway, make right with things best as you can.  And first and foremost, honesty within yourself, honesty to others, and eventually the wrinkles iron out and the knots come untied.  I guess this is what you're looking for?

It's even ok if you do it "wrong" ... we and everything learn to be flexible.  Life uh... finds a way?  If you know what I mean.

Be safe,

Darci.

Edited by darci, 05 October 2018 - 07:45 PM.

• Coopdog, Skywatcher and Alder Logs like this

#27 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,029 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:56 PM

Thanks, Darci.

I know for myself, in relation to the world I seemed to leave behind on shrooms, I have come to some really weird judgments and made some really stupid decisions when thwacked out.    Shooting the wrong thing for unbelievable reasons would not be out of the realm of possibilities.   Set and setting gets way too shaky if there's a .357 or 9mm remote control layin' about. 

• Coopdog likes this

#28 oldmushmellow

oldmushmellow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:31 PM

Trippers can't read guns, I mean maps. Any way how did the camping trip go? My wife and I dropped some blot on labor day weekend and went camping. What a colorful campfire but that's another story. The best defense we have found for bears is the jingle of car keys. Now humans and mooses well that's another story too.

• Boebs likes this

#29 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,166 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:41 PM

Thanks, Darci.

I know for myself, in relation to the world I seemed to leave behind on shrooms, I have come to some really weird judgments and made some really stupid decisions when thwacked out.    Shooting the wrong thing for unbelievable reasons would not be out of the realm of possibilities.   Set and setting gets way too shaky if there's a .357 or 9mm remote control layin' about. 

Let me remind you of the terror you would feel if you saw a drunken/high misunderstood/abused/neglected girl partying around a bonfire, carrying a fucking loaded revolver around.

You'd wanna get that thing away from her, or get her to drop it at least, but then you'd have to talk to her, which means you are now the focus of her attention.  Now you're asking yourself how the fuck you got yourself into this situation in the first place, and only that if that girl hasn't shot you dead already!  Don't talk to her!  Run!  Jeeeeezus!

Of course, I'm talking about me.  Glad I'm not that person anymore.  Talking to myself.  Ahem..  

Life is precious.

[Direct Link]

Edited by darci, 05 October 2018 - 08:42 PM.

• Coopdog and Alder Logs like this

#30 oldmushmellow

oldmushmellow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:43 PM

Fisher cats will attack you, even if you have a gun. Take it from me, I lived it.

• TVCasualty likes this

#31 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,029 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:55 PM

The only drug Wheezy Joe was on was his huffer.   He got fucked up with a 50/50 chance.

[Direct Link]

• oldmushmellow likes this

#32 oldmushmellow

oldmushmellow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:16 PM

See what happens? It happens every time! Guns= problems.

#33 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,859 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:07 PM

Fisher cats will attack you, even if you have a gun. Take it from me, I lived it.

I would like to hear more about this, if you don't mind. Especially stuff that can help me assess their intent or likely behavior, and what induced it to attack. That kind of info might help if I ever need to channel Dr. Doolittle while being confronted by an angry mustelid.

• Coopdog likes this

#34 Boebs

Boebs

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:44 PM

Camping and tripping go great together, get a nice fire set up as you dose, relax as the sun sets and the noise change and the camping trip really sets off:)
I pretty much always have a gun.. but never touch it while under way. That is somthing i dont even think of.20170211_184140.jpg
  • Coopdog likes this

#35 Boebs

Boebs

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:45 PM

My fav spot:)

#36 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,029 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:19 PM

I think I put the odds of my dying because I haven't got a gun at any particular moment to be pretty far out.  

Far out, man, far out.  

• Coopdog and Boebs like this

#37 Boebs

Boebs

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:25 AM

I think I put the odds of my dying because I haven't got a gun at any particular moment to be pretty far out.  

Far out, man, far out.

I would love to believe that feeling, but the areas i camp have alot of meth head rednecks wondering the woods late at night.. hate for someone to come give me a hard time and not be able to give it back.
  • Coopdog likes this

#38 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,029 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:24 PM

I guess I would start by avoiding those woods.   Set and setting can fuck up even sober time.  

• onediadem and Juthro like this

#39 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:36 PM

I agree with Alder, you need to find a new place to camp :)

• onediadem likes this

#40 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:53 AM

Having read the responses here, I have never been so far out of reality that I would use my gun irresponsibly. I have the innate ability to split in two, two of me, one who is tripping balls and one who is watching disconnected from the first. Multiple personality or whatever, it involves a higher level of discernment. Deep in my psyche I KNOW what is right and wrong. I KNOW if someone is fucking with my mind, I KNOW if I am responsible or not. And I know when I have not been, usually alcohol related rather than psychedelic related. Just my two cents worth...I will always have a gun handy. Just sayin' Anyone who has met me has seen me with a gun, did it give you any trouble? Did you even know? I kinda doubt it, unless I told ya so. 

Edited by Coopdog, 12 November 2018 - 01:56 AM.

• Boebs likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!