• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Cinatacatanic

Cinatacatanic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 06:56 PM

Picture is of Pan Troops from spore works.
Growing them, Goliath's and Thia Cubensis.
The tub is from the wire rack.
The mono tubs of the pans are on their fourth flushes.

The pans only do well when you don't mix them up with manure. It's simple, put down thin layer of manure inbottoms of tubs or trays and it really only needs a light sprinkling of your pans spawn, grain or cakes. Now put a inch of manure layered on that. The pans grow linearly and are much stronger. Strong enough to throw out flushes from mono tubs. Only cased with whole verm and I don't think the needed cased to fruit.
I'll get more pics of them in monos tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

• 23431.jpeg
  • IMG_20180925_124017926.jpg

• coorsmikey, Samwise, MycoAnt81 and 2 others like this

#2 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:12 PM

Awesome! I was going to try Sporeworks but went with thesporedepot just because the shipping from Canada is a lil more $.

Edited by Billcoz, 30 September 2018 - 10:16 PM.

#3 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:34 PM

Beautiful job! 

#4 Cinatacatanic

Cinatacatanic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:10 PM

Here are the Tropicals in mono tubs. The culture does not produce spores.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181001_123247248.jpg
  • IMG_20181001_123300890.jpg
  • IMG_20181001_123318889.jpg

Edited by Cinatacatanic, 01 October 2018 - 03:11 PM.

#5 Cinatacatanic

Cinatacatanic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:13 PM

And the cubes.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181001_123547408.jpg

#6 essrocks

essrocks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:23 PM

So many shroomies! Awesome job 

#7 Cinatacatanic

Cinatacatanic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:55 PM

Thanks
I'll do a log spawning mono tubs.
Got Goliath's and the trops on wbs/hpoo jars all ready to go.

This time I'm adding a layer of sterile vermiculite at the bottom of totes. Think the inert layer at the bottom will prevent the substrate stagnating.

Substrate is mostly cow manure that's been composted with shreded hay. We collected the manure pretty fresh from the fields. The hay well it's just whatever was raked from a mowed field.

We pasturize in a barrel on a wood fire. It gets boiled and stired at 180f for hours.
We just squeaze it by hand to remove exess water.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181001_155656633.jpg

Edited by Cinatacatanic, 01 October 2018 - 03:57 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#8 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:43 PM

Thanks
I'll do a log spawning mono tubs.
Got Goliath's and the trops on wbs/hpoo jars all ready to go.

This time I'm adding a layer of sterile vermiculite at the bottom of totes. Think the inert layer at the bottom will prevent the substrate stagnating.

Substrate is mostly cow manure that's been composted with shreded hay. We collected the manure pretty fresh from the fields. The hay well it's just whatever was raked from a mowed field.

We pasturize in a barrel on a wood fire. It gets boiled and stired at 180f for hours.
We just squeaze it by hand to remove exess water.

Did you clone those? How did you get cultures from SW,, don't they just sell pan. cyan. spores? The description of "tropicalis" says they produce transparent or opaque spores, 2 spores per basidium-

Panaeolus (Copelandia) tropicalis : Spore Syringe Microscopy Kit
TropicalisIndiaThumb.jpg

Habitat: Manure, Enriched soils
Climate: Tropical

Strain Origin: Andaman Islands, India

Previously documented from the Central African Republic and Cambodia.  This new collection's location fits neatly between these two countries just above the equator.

Comments: The rare Panaeolus (Copelandia) tropicalis has been a troublesome species for the Spore Works for many years.  The published descriptions are vague, conflicting in some details (see notes below) and in French and German.  After examining dozens of mislabeled collections, we were beginning to suspect that P. tropicalis wasn't even a real species and just a variety of P. cambodginiensis.

The acquisition of this collection has answered many of our questions about the species and confirmed that it is indeed distinct from P. cambodginiensis.  The key feature that distinguishes P. tropicalis from all other species is simply stated below by Gerhardt (1996).

From Gerhardt: (translated from German)

Quote:
Panaeolus tropicalis is mainly characterized through the typical form of its Metuloids. Their thick-walled shape and the conical top, which is later completely filled with wall material, are unique within the subgenus.

See the Spore Works Gallery for details of the microscopic features of P. tropicalis.

Notes:  Stamets (1996) indicates that this is an exclusively two spored species (two spores per basidium) which is incorrect according to all other sources. Gerhardt's (1996) key to the Copelandia implies that it's a darkly pigmented species which conflicts with the actual description in the same document (which is based on Ola'h's (1969) original description). Ola'h (1969) gives great importance to the internally granulated transparent spores of P. tropicalis, but Gerhardt's (1996) examination of Ola'h's herbarium deposits notes only opaque spores. Gerhardt instead gives importance to the form of the pleurocystidia, which are dark with the cone-like tips entirely filled with material.

Selected References:

Gerhardt E., 1996. Taxonomische Revision der Gattungen Panaeolus und Panaeolina. Bibl. Bot. 47, Schweizerbartsche Verlagsbuchhandlung, Stuttgart.

Ola'h, G.M., 1969. Le genre Panaeolus: essai taxonomique et physiologique. Revue de Mycologie, Memoire Hors-Serie 10. 

Stamets, P., 1996. Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World. Berkeley, Calif.: Ten Speed Press.

* Spores intended for microscopy and taxonomy purposes only. Images provided for informational and educational reference only and originate from cultivators and labs outside the US. Cultivation of this species is illegal in many countries including the United States. Please check your local regulations.

#9 Cinatacatanic

Cinatacatanic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:00 PM

I bought syringes from spore works.
So maybe they do produce spores if they are translucent.
I been keeping the Tropicalis going by inoculating agar with Gill pieces or cloning tissue.
For pans I think these might be the most potent. They turn dark blue almost black once dried and they dry quick.

So photos are off mono tubs we just made.
Put layer of sterile vermiculite down then a layer about 1in pasturize d manure, spprinkled one quart in all of four tubs and put another inch of manure and pressed the sub down lightly.
I expect them to be colonized in a week.

Well I am gonna try printing some again. If the spores are opaque.
Thanks for finding that Bilcoz.
  • Billcoz likes this

#10 Cinatacatanic

Cinatacatanic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:03 PM

Used 1/4 quart grain spawn per mono tub. Did not mix the grain into sub just sprinkled it on the first inch of manure and covered that with another inch of manure.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181001_203547485.jpg
  • IMG_20181001_202034546.jpg

Edited by Cinatacatanic, 01 October 2018 - 11:05 PM.

• coorsmikey and Billcoz like this

#11 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:03 AM

I bought syringes from spore works.
So maybe they do produce spores if they are translucent.
I been keeping the Tropicalis going by inoculating agar with Gill pieces or cloning tissue.
For pans I think these might be the most potent. They turn dark blue almost black once dried and they dry quick.

So photos are off mono tubs we just made.
Put layer of sterile vermiculite down then a layer about 1in pasturize d manure, spprinkled one quart in all of four tubs and put another inch of manure and pressed the sub down lightly.
I expect them to be colonized in a week.

Well I am gonna try printing some again. If the spores are opaque.
Thanks for finding that Bilcoz.

Awesome, can't wait to see how you do! That was a huge coincidence beleive it or not I happened to read that a couple days ago and thought it was cool that the spores would be transparent and tonight I saw your post and was thinkingwow, maybe he tried to print em and couldn't see the spores or maybe you had cloned a fruit that actually didn't produce them lol! If that's even possible, IDK. Good luck man!

#12 Cinatacatanic

Cinatacatanic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 03:15 AM

There are spore less varieties.
Now these pan viet's I grew from a spore print. Thoes bad boys didn't drop spores on one isolate.
So yeah spore less strains exist.

Now I must have had a pan aus or Jamaican get mixed up as one of these pan Tropicalis tubs did drop blacl spores and thoes spores were inoculated to the jar that's in the totes I just made.

Now the rest of the Tropicalis totes have more of red gills and no sign of black spores. Just put some caps on foil and we'll see if I can start a culture off the foil. Lol.
Time to buy a microscope.

#13 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:53 AM

Now these pan viet's I grew from a spore print. Thoes bad boys didn't drop spores on one isolate.

Now I must have had a pan aus or Jamaican get mixed up as one of these pan Tropicalis tubs did drop blacl spores and thoes spores were inoculated to the jar that's in the totes I just made.

Now the rest of the Tropicalis totes have more of red gills and no sign of black spores. Just put some caps on foil and we'll see if I can start a culture off the foil. Lol.

I didn't know that, cool. If you tried to print those tropicalis and just couldn't see a print, did you toss em? Maybe they were transparent. Seems like youd see a print though, so IDK. I can't wait to move on from my first grow with brf. Just cuz I got a buncha jars I'm gonna sacrifice some to try a coco bulk tray.

#14 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:00 PM

I didn't know that, cool. If you tried to print those tropicalis and just couldn't see a print, did you toss em? Maybe they were transparent. Seems like youd see a print though, so IDK. I can't wait to move on from my first grow with brf. Just cuz I got a buncha jars I'm gonna sacrifice some to try a coco bulk tray.

I was fucked up when I said that lol. I forgot, Albino cubes are sterile. 

#15 Cinatacatanic

Cinatacatanic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 01:06 AM

After letting them mature another day or two till the caps turned all the way up and i have gotten nice prints. The tubs in the Martha really like a constant fog from the pond foger I got in the bottom and some plumbing and CPU fan pulling air from top to bottom.
Need a coolmist for the mono tubs.

I kinda want a microscope to check them out with.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181003_144422192.jpg
  • IMG_20181003_130414005.jpg
  • IMG_20181002_195124539.jpg
  • IMG_20181002_191028868.jpg
  • IMG_20181002_191016742.jpg

• Billcoz likes this

#16 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:14 AM

After letting them mature another day or two till the caps turned all the way up and i have gotten nice prints. The tubs in the Martha really like a constant fog from the pond foger I got in the bottom and some plumbing and CPU fan pulling air from top to bottom.
Need a coolmist for the mono tubs.

I kinda want a microscope to check them out with.

Sweet! I like good news. I have a cake with a lump, apparently verticillium, so shit. Looks like your happy tho!

Glad to here the "Martha" is working, I plan to make something similar, or just buy the $25 greenhouse from Wall-Mart.

Edited by Billcoz, 04 October 2018 - 03:15 AM.

#17 Cinatacatanic

Cinatacatanic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:49 AM

My Martha is just a wire rack wrapped in plastic, got a pond fogger in a tub in the bottom and a dryer vent running from the top to bottom. The bottom outlet of the dryer vent has a CPU fan blowing towards the pond fogger tray. It gets it foggy.

Bulk cow or horse shit subs in mono tubs are the way to go. And with the pans just don't mix them whole sale. For the pans just put a inch of sub in tub and sprinkle your grain or broken up cake on that and put another layer of substrate over that. Any time I tried mixing pan grain spawn with sub it re colonizes weakly and they usually just die. Now if you sterilized your manure sub in spawn bags inoculate with pan lc grain or whatever you don't need much inoculant. But once the manure is colonized in the bags you could just dump the sub in a mono tub case water and fruit. So long as you leave the myceliated manure in clumps..
  • coorsmikey, Billcoz and k5h like this

#18 Cinatacatanic

Cinatacatanic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:31 AM

Here is a link to microscope photos of various Pannaleous spores.
And yeah look to me they are all dark spores minus Reddownunder.

https://sporeworks.c...llery.php?cid=5
  • Billcoz likes this

#19 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:12 AM

Here is a link to microscope photos of various Pannaleous spores.
And yeah look to me they are all dark spores minus Reddownunder.

https://sporeworks.c...llery.php?cid=5

That was a quote directly from sporeworks.com that says tropicallis has transparent or opaque spores. Were your prints dark?

Edited by Billcoz, 04 October 2018 - 11:14 AM.

#20 Cinatacatanic

Cinatacatanic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:39 PM

The spore prints are black. Just had to let them mature a few more days and the turned all the way up then I got prints.

So here is one tub from my log in this thread.
The other three we applied another centimeter of manure to.
The tub pictured was not cased. And you see the pins.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181012_130730.jpg

• bezevo and Billcoz like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!