47 replies to this topic

#21 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,871 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:34 AM

Am I the only one with issues of photos being about twice the area of my 32 inch computer screen, and have to scroll up and to the side to view the whole thing?  I also have a crappy DSL connections and some of these take quite a long time to load.   I'd like to view them all, but quickly run out of patience.   Sorry.

#22 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:03 PM

Alder Logs, sir, I apologize for the pics being so large. I'm using the camera on my phone... maybe if I play with the settings...

*fiddle, fiddle*

Well, there's really nothing I can see to change, except for the resolution, but I doubt that would help... hold on...

Here's some pics at the default setting of the camera (20mp):

DSC_0318.JPG  

DSC_0322.JPG

DSC_0319.JPG (substrate that was clumped to the ones I brought home today)

And a couple from a reduced setting (8mp)

DSC_0323.JPG

DSC_0324.JPG

How did these turn out?

• Myc likes this

#23 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:48 PM

That was a monstrous help. Thank you for the detailed photos. 

They're a little blurry up close but I think we may be able to manage at least a stab at ID. 

• OldAndMiserable likes this

#24 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:53 PM

Am I the only one with issues of photos being about twice the area of my 32 inch computer screen, and have to scroll up and to the side to view the whole thing?  I also have a crappy DSL connections and some of these take quite a long time to load.   I'd like to view them all, but quickly run out of patience.   Sorry.

You've mentioned that before Alder. I'm guessing "yes". 

Dial-up is not conducive to large image sizes. And smaller images lack the necessary detail which is captured in the 15-20 mega-pixel range. 

Most of us have "smart" phones. Often, the lowest possible setting still results in an enormous image - 5 mega-pixels is HUGE to dial-up. 

#25 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

That was a monstrous help. Thank you for the detailed photos. 

They're a little blurry up close but I think we may be able to manage at least a stab at ID. 

I fiddled with some of the settings at higher resolutions, but I cant seem to get any closer without blur... I have a new phone coming with an awesome camera (Note 9), so hopefully I can get better pics then.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I've been collecting more and more as I'm out and about, in the hopes that the already discussed possibilities are true! 

I leave it to the experts and await a final call!

#26 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,033 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

It would only help with the download, but there are internet providers via satellite dish. You get really fast downloads through the dish but your upload speeds are limited because they are still through the phone line...

Would be better utility than what you are currently dealing with which resembles 2400 baud dial up....

• Myc and coorsmikey like this

#27 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:30 PM

If it helps with the decision, this evening I checked on the mushrooms I have drying, and gave one a sniff. It took a bit of inhaling, probably due to being partly dry, but there was a faint peppery smell to it.

#28 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,771 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:53 PM

It would only help with the download, but there are internet providers via satellite dish. You get really fast downloads through the dish but your upload speeds are limited because they are still through the phone line...

Would be better utility than what you are currently dealing with which resembles 2400 baud dial up....

Wuch ya mean satellites? Its a consipiracy.......everyone knows the earth is flat!

• PJammer24, Pipeline and OldAndMiserable like this

#29 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,871 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:02 AM

Here's an image I shot that's 94.48 KB, and 640px × 480px.   Can you tell me what kind of mushroom it is, and what kind of beetles they are?  Is it clear enough?  Big enough?   FYI, this mushroom had a little jelly tip that the beetles ate, so you might have to picture it there.   But as a bonus, there's the spore print on the blade of grass.  Hey, you can see my reflection on the backs of a few of the beetles.

gallery_131808_1351_76769.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 17 October 2018 - 12:04 AM.

• cubesRAbore likes this

#30 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,033 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:13 AM

Here's an image I shot that's 94.48 KB, and 640px × 480px.   Can you tell me what kind of mushroom it is, and what kind of beetles they are?  Is it clear enough?  Big enough?   FYI, this mushroom had a little jelly tip that the beetles ate, so you might have to picture it there.   But as a bonus, there's the spore print on the blade of grass.  Hey, you can see my reflection on the backs of a few of the beetles.

Some type of Mycena seems likely, which specific, I am not sure

#31 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:45 AM

I see your point Alder.

If you could go and take photos for all of the future ID requests, it would be most helpful. As with a handful of others, your skills and abilities are unusual and unique in this world. Your attention to detail nearly un-paralleled. Your experience has tempered your expectations to be proportional to what you've put into the project.

Have you ever noticed that the ID requests are often the WORST photos we ever see on this site?

It seems as if the camera was put on "time elapse" and then swung like a pendulum prior to some of the images being taken. And then folks, credibly and honestly, expect a positive identification from said photos with all of the tracers, smudges, lack of color, fog, image wash-out, etc..... Might as well be tripping or drunk while trying to ID. 

But our up and coming nannies know this about cameras and their inept operators - that's why images can be so huge. Not so we're each carrying a high-quality camera - just so we're each carrying a high-resolution monitoring device which doesn't need photography skills to capture at least some detail within an image. 

Here we go. Case in point:

https://mycotopia.ne...tion/?p=1381975

I nearly SHIT MYSELF at the clarity of the image in this ID request. 

Then, I learned the guy was a professional photographer and wanted to have a correct ID for his stock image collection. 

One of the BEST IDENTIFICATION REQUEST PHOTO I'VE EVER SEEN - but not really an ID request - and we'll likely not see the guy as a regular. Which is a shame because his images are awesome. 

• coorsmikey and OldAndMiserable like this

#32 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,871 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

Some type of Mycena seems likely, which specific, I am not sure

Nope, Psilocybe semilanceata, shot with my cheapy Cannon, set for 72dps and 640 by 480 pixels.

This is funny, but I have never noticed that beetle on the lower right margin before.   Not being an entomologist, I haven't the slightest idea what these absolutely tiny beetles are.   I've never seen them again, never saw them before.

The liberty cap is probably not more than an inch across.

Edited by Alder Logs, 17 October 2018 - 11:11 AM.

#33 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:51 AM

That is a fantastic pic! 

Just goes to show ya, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! You don't need big and fancy tech to get a great picture!

When my new phone shows up, I hope I have a ton of options to play with in the camera!

#34 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,871 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

Those phones, of which I have never had one, are ruining the internet for these old desktop computers.  My monitor is a cheap Samsung 32 inch teevee.  My cheapy tower,  I bought from a small builder has Linux on it.  Now that I have some fancier new cameras and am taking larger sized snapshots with huge file sizes, I got a freeware program called, "Simple Image Reducer," and all I have to do is open it and drag the file to it and click, "execute." 

I got these two Kodaks for $5 each at a rummage sale.  I know it was an incredible score, but then, I hit every thrift store and garage sale every Friday when I go to town.   I picked the one with the slightly better zoom (30X) and gave the other (26X) to my neighbor.   (These pics were shot with my little Cannon with the 4X zoom.)

post-131808-0-11798300-1530323509.jpg

post-131808-0-97065000-1530323528.jpg

Here's a sample of a pic from the Kodak after the drag and click resizing to 800 by 600 pixels for a total of 276KB. 

post-131808-0-95853300-1538196092.jpg

• Myc and OldAndMiserable like this

#35 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:20 AM

My new phone is in!

Hopefully I can get outside again soon and try out the camera. There are a lot of options, so my pictures should get better!

Any word on the id of the possible Gym.? I can get more pics, if necessary. Got a bunch dried completely, just waiting to go! :P

#36 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:28 AM

Just so you know.......I'm not an expert at ID. 

I once ID'd a poisonous mushroom photograph as an edible gourmet.

DON'T TRUST ME until you've done a full-spectrum microscopy workup. Spores, basidia, various stains, etc. 

But I'm writing to congratulate you on the new camera!! Woot!

Use a tripod or use something to rest the camera upon and your images can be sharper at high resolution. 

Play with the thing. Take loads of photos and discard all but the best one - the days of developing and previewing film are over. Practice framing the subject within the image frame.

There's a photography thread around here somewhere.

#37 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 01:14 PM

I appreciate the comment, Myc! One nice thing with the Note 9 is its stylus has a button that can snap pics while in camera mode, allowing for the camera to be motionless for pictures! Looking at travel tripods right now!

And I know that, unless all the proper microscopic work is done, there are only guesses and assumptions that can be made at this point. 

Setting aside the lack of said work, and adding the fact that I am sure you know WAY more than me in this subject, based on the information so far documented, what would your verdict, or anyone's, be? 

My results still point back to the Gym. id. 

Also, how would I, a bearded old Canadian grizzly man-bear, go about obtaining a microscopic workup, short of buying a professional microscope?

#38 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2018 - 03:02 PM

Ordered in something called an Erlich testing reagent. Supposed to be able to detect psilocybin and psilocybin, among other things.

Anyone ever use this stuff before?
  • coorsmikey likes this

#39 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:06 PM

Sorry I missed this. Been super busy. 

I cannot comment as to the specifics of the stains - I am just a humble construction worker. 

In the past, I relied heavily upon the microscopy advice of a member called Workman. He knows his stuff. 

Perhaps a search-engine search could help?

A quick read through the above link suggests that the reagent can be used as a "spot test" to check for indoles. It might just work. You'll just want to find out the proper procedure for a "spot test"

If you keep an eye on ebay, you can run across some really nice equipment for cheap. I have an older Japanese microscope that I got for $150 - shipped. Works like a dream. You'll want an oil objective for viewing spores at high magnification and regular "dry" objectives for other work. I use mine all the time. It's cool for pest identification in horticulture, you can look at trichomes and other plant materials, all kinds of crazy, cool stuff. Probably the best $150 I ever spent. 

I like taking samples of "compost tea" to look at all the critters running around in the water droplet. 

Trust me, at any age, you'll have a blast with a decent 'scope. 

#40 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:26 PM

I did research the reagent, which is why I ordered it. It arrived today, and I did 2 tests... got blue-green...

The info card that came with it said to look for red-purple...

Guess I don't have the good stuff, after all? 

I've never used this stuff, so I have no idea about it. Anyone have any xp?

• Myc likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!