47 replies to this topic

#41 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:41 PM

Not being there and all........sounds like you've been pretty thorough. 

The way I read the spot test is like this:

If one were testing for LSD - the LSD would have to be laid out on some type of filter paper - or blotter paper in order to see the reaction.

I wasn't sure if you could test the mushroom flesh itself

OR

If one would have to do an ethanol extraction of the fruitbody to create a suspension which could be "laid out" on filter paper or blotter paper. (Like one would "lay out" liquid LSD)

I dunno. If you can perform an extraction, it would be another cool test to perform - just to see if you get a different result. 

Just throwing out ideas.

I'm curious. How much reagent did you purchase and for what amount?

Does it have an expiry or shelf-life?

• OldAndMiserable likes this

#42 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the comment!

It was $40 and change for a small vial that can do 50+ tests, according to the description on Amazon. Not too sure about expiration... 

I've been looking into getting a 'scope... just waiting for my millions of dollars to come in  :tongue:  haha! Found some decent ones.

The extraction idea sounds pretty neat, actually. Wondering if I should give that a go.... hmmmmmmm... Would it give different results, tho? It would still be the same chemicals... research time!

I tested small pieces of some caps, both dried and "fresh" (fresh as in picked today, but they were pretty rubbery), but got the same color results... 

Oh! Results!

Saw this today! 

20181025_1849021.jpg

20181025_1849561.jpg

I saw this, and I gasped!!! Keeping fingers crossed!!!

20181025_1849251.jpg

This jar is from the batch I made with the whole wheat pasta/white rice/quick oats flour... It's been a while, but I'm finally seeing something!!!

The corn, however... 

No pics, but it turned brown/black.... unless that's supposed to happen...? 

#43 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:51 PM

This extraction tek should get you some reliable results.:

https://mycotopia.ne...alcohol, +still

If there are any indoles in the test materials they will be extracted into the alcohol.

I just read an account by soliver where the alcohol itself contains the indole in suspension. (Drinking the extracted booze without evaporating it down - is still very active. -- This is proof that the indole is in suspension and you should be able to "lay out" some of the alcohol onto a white coffee filter. Wet the whole thing with the extracted alcohol. Let it dry or evaporate. Try a few test blots to see if you get different results from those observed by just testing the mushroom flesh itself.)

You've got me curious now. Just for the sake of it. If you've got some clear booze laying around and some dried fruitbodies............

#44 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:28 PM

That is an awesome tek! Thanks for this!

Tomorrow is grocery day, so I'll see if I can slip over to the liquor store! 

FINGERS CROSSED!

PS: What do people think of the recent pics?

#45 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:39 PM

BTW...

I still have Amanita Muscaria Var. Guessowi caps (4 caps about 2 inches across)... Would the extraction tek work for these, as well? I've been reading through stuff I found online ('Brief History of Vice', 'Amanita Muscaria: Herb of Immortality'), and they talk about soaking the mushroom in water instead of alcohol...

#46 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 389 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 05:00 AM

There is a Hamilton episode where some folks living in the hills collect Amanita Muscaria for magical/healing use. Amongst the many ways we see them being used was soaking what looked like fresh material in what looked like Vodka then drinking the Vodka for psychoactive effect. Unfortunately the Wikipedia articles on Ibotenic Acid and Muscimol don't seem to mention solubility in alcohol though. Perhaps a kitchen chemist can chime in?
  • Pipeline and OldAndMiserable like this

#47 cubesRAbore

cubesRAbore

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:10 PM

These look like  gymnopilus luteofolius to me. They have a bright rusty spore print.post-156352-0-04018900-1539703137.jpg

#48 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the post, cubes!

I posted 2 pics of the spore print back on page one of this thread, and they seem pretty rusty...

I've been scouring the net (a lot of stuff from here, as well), and I am still mostly convinced that I have found Gyms... as for the variety, I still am unsure...

I bought an Ehrlich reagent (in my research, I found some people recommend it) and upon testing dried and recently picked samples, I got a yellow-green coloration. However, the info card that came with the reagent says (while it is primarily used for testing LSD, it does say it can react to other indoles such as psilocybin and psilocin) that the color should be purple. That might just be for LSD and related chemicals...?

On one site I visited, someone mentioned that the Ehrlich reagent does NOT test positive for Gymnopilus or Pluteus species... Well, the yellow-green is not a positive test result, according to the info card.

All signs point to a HELL YEAH!!!, as far as I can tell...

Edited by OldAndMiserable, 29 October 2018 - 10:28 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!