#21 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,159 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:50 PM

That filter system has over a years worth of use on it now, and it is still supplying my cooking and drinking water on a daily basis without any problems. 

We probably run 2 or 3 gallons a day through it, and around two or three times that amount on days we are canning or brewing.

https://mycotopia.ne...y-water-filter/

Edited by Juthro, 16 October 2018 - 10:54 PM.

• onediadem likes this

#22 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,030 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:21 PM

I kind of figured the conversation here would be in line with our taking control of our medical / mental well being.

This whole forum is based with conversation of our medical/mental well being. It is an understatement to say that we that are participating in this thread and don't have that part figured out. But to help direct the conversation in the right direction, I will reiterate in the case of infrastructure failure I am well prepared as long as its not a Volcanic or worse disaster. Mostly to what I've learned here and continue too. When the OP starts with comments of oil lamps and wall heaters it leads to a different suggestion of topic. I do think "How are you prepared for ************** Medical/Mental well being wise?" would be a great topic!

Edited by coorsmikey, 16 October 2018 - 11:22 PM.

• onediadem and Juthro like this

#23 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,907 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:40 PM

I think that is a great idea. 

• coorsmikey likes this

#24 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,881 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:55 AM

Fat huh? Well, I store a bit of that as well.. and carry it with me wherever I go.  :tongue:

• onediadem and Alder Logs like this

#25 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,141 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:22 AM

I'm not afraid to die, and give little thought to hypothetical threats, as there are too many that are too varied.   I do have, from old habit, Peterson's Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants.   If the nine point plus, overdue, subduction quake hits, I will probably have a hard time finding it in the wreckage of this cabin, if my body gets out of this better mousetrap alive and at all functional.   If the left edge of the continent subsides three hundred feet or more, I may very well be lost at sea for a time.   It will probably be cold, and I wouldn't like that much, but hey...  this is in Recreational Pursuits, eh?

Edited by Alder Logs, 17 October 2018 - 11:24 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#26 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,881 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:14 PM

That filter system has over a years worth of use on it now, and it is still supplying my cooking and drinking water on a daily basis without any problems. 

We probably run 2 or 3 gallons a day through it, and around two or three times that amount on days we are canning or brewing.

https://mycotopia.ne...y-water-filter/

By the way, for $157 USD you can get a combo of 2 Berkey Black filters with attachable Fluoride filters - highly recommended if you have city water. 

https://www.amazon.c...=8-4&ref=sr_1_4

• Juthro likes this

#27 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,159 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:57 PM

From a mental standpoint, the thought of 'the big one' bothered me some when I was living just outside of Hammond Oregon, right at the mouth of the Columbia river.  I was in an RV park right on the river bank, and when the big quake does hit, the bridges that you have to go over to get out of that tsunami zone will likely have been compromised.   

That entire area will be scoured clean by a large tsunami (so will the Long Beach Peninsula to the North), and if its caused by a big quake from the cascadia subduction zone, there will be no time for emergency aid to help evacuate before it happens.   I don't see the possibility of any survivors from that little NW corner of Oregon.  There are no hills to climb, and if the bridges are out its just a waiting game.

So what did I do? I moved to one of the most seismically active parts of the planet, within sight of two active volcanoes, lol.   I don't lose any of sleep over worrying about it, what will be, will be.  

#28 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,161 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:15 PM

From a mental standpoint, the thought of 'the big one' bothered me some when I was living just outside of Hammond Oregon, right at the mouth of the Columbia river.  I was in an RV park right on the river bank, and when the big quake does hit, the bridges that you have to go over to get out of that tsunami zone will likely have been compromised.   

That entire area will be scoured clean by a large tsunami (so will the Long Beach Peninsula to the North), and if its caused by a big quake from the cascadia subduction zone, there will be no time for emergency aid to help evacuate before it happens.   I don't see the possibility of any survivors from that little NW corner of Oregon.  There are no hills to climb, and if the bridges are out its just a waiting game.

So what did I do? I moved to one of the most seismically active parts of the planet, within sight of two active volcanoes, lol.   I don't lose any of sleep over worrying about it, what will be, will be.  

You could have taken cover in Fort George.... Fort Astoria...  I think I might be dating myself a little here...  :cool:

• Juthro and PapMyc like this

#29 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,159 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:18 PM

You could have taken cover in Fort George.... Fort Astoria...  I think I might be dating myself a little here...  :cool:

Lol, and there was a time I almost did live there.  They make some damn fine beer that I was sometimes overly fond of......

• PJammer24 likes this

#30 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,161 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:43 PM

Lol, and there was a time I almost did live there.  They make some damn fine beer that I was sometimes overly fond of......

Considering I was referring to the actual fort that was retired sometime in the mid 19th century and not the brewery.... You are REALLY dating yourself... or else it is some really old beer!

• Juthro likes this

#31 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,159 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:33 PM

The brewery is in on the old Fort Astoria site.   

https://fortgeorgebrewery.com/about/

• PJammer24 likes this

#32 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,161 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

The brewery is in on the old Fort Astoria site.   

https://fortgeorgebrewery.com/about/

I knew of the brewery but did't realize it was actually on the fort's site! That's super sweet!! Thank you for the historical tid bit! You made this historian smile!

• Juthro likes this

#33 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,141 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:54 PM

Until my doctor put me on the No Having Fun Diet, I always had a big keg of Fort George Vortex IPA in my fridge.   Funny, I always had more friends for company back then. 

Did I just see an admission that Juth is nothing but fall-away trailer trash? 

Edited by Alder Logs, 17 October 2018 - 03:55 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#34 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,159 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:07 PM

Until my doctor put me on the No Having Fun Diet, I always had a big keg of Fort George Vortex IPA in my fridge.   Funny, I always had more friends for company back then. 

Did I just see an admission that Juth is nothing but fall-away trailer trash? 

I'm alright with fall-away trash, I just didn't want to be float-away :)

• Alder Logs likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!