#1 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:07 AM

An awesome article on "FRB"s - These bursts were first detected in 2007, and what is odd, is that all of these bursts relate to each other by a common factor of 187.5, all are along the Elliptical plane of our solar system, and are circularly polarized - as if they were being beamed at us on purpose.

Very interesting!

https://www.reddit.c...een_repeatedly/

But if you want the hairs on the back of your neck to stand, then listen to what they sound like:

[Direct Link]

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 16 October 2018 - 11:09 AM.

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:14 PM

All this hubbub over 24 one millisecond blips?  

I have a hard time understanding what you're saying.   Reading the link was frustrating to no end, trying to find something coherent.   I gave up.  You say these are from points in line with the ecliptic?   They say something about something three billion light years away?    I find that strange.

What does "circularly polarized" mean?

Edited by Alder Logs, 16 October 2018 - 12:16 PM.

#3 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

Radio waves can be polarized in various ways - your typical "whip" style antenna is vertically polarized - hence the antenna is vertical.  A TV antenna is horizontally polarized.  A circularly polarized antenna may have a spiral shape and the radio wave does the following:

Specifically, given that this is a circularly polarized plane wave, these vectors indicate that the electric field, from plane to plane, has a constant strength while its direction steadily rotates. (Wikipedia)

This is somewhat unusual for radio waves from distant stars or rotating pulsars and the like (according to the article).

Astronomers are divided about what this all means, with some (the author of the article I linked to) believing that the source is much closer than the radio shifting would indicated (that they are not 3 billion light years away but perhaps only a few thousand, or a few hundred, or just outside our solar system).

This is stuff you don't usually hear about and I thought it was quite interesting.

Here is another more recent story on the subject: https://www.newscien...close-to-earth/

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 16 October 2018 - 02:44 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:48 PM

As it was my job at one time to analyze radio frequency pulses, and sort these out from spurious noise, I am a little dubious about 24 thousandths of a second, out of all the noise that's out there, all the time.

#5 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:05 PM

That's nothing to a computer when you're talking in the gigahertz range. That's easily within data speeds on wifi.
  • Cuboid likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!