• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 coleman318

coleman318

MycoStudious

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:25 AM

Hey everyone! I thought this would be the best forum for this type of question, I am growing various cacti and plants in my garage and it’s near the garage door. I use LED lights so it does not heat up very well and to prevent the cacti from going dormant I would like to heat the area. I bought two 250 watt heat lamps at big box store and I have s few concerns. The socket I am using can handle these bulbs output but the plastic sockets get so damn hot. Also I don’t know if these bulbs are meant to be on for 8-14 hours straight. Here are some pictures. Anyone have a better idea in how to heat this small space? I’m wanting something that can handle being in for long periods of time or I guess I can set a timer for it to interval. I know if I buy a MH or HPS bulb it will help with heat but I’m trying not to waste the lights I already own.

Attached Thumbnails

• D28BEA2F-8184-41D8-A3B1-F650A98CF41A.jpeg
  • A1F5B2A6-5FAB-4B87-B8A5-F9D1E81DBB9C.jpeg
  • 0DDDD345-E0C1-41E0-9974-890F5079C543.jpeg

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,362 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:04 PM

I am not as well versed in cactus cultivation as some of the other guys but for heating I would consider some of the following:

Register style electric space heater. I prefer these too the blowing units in most situations.

Heating cable/rope can be effective in keeping the grow medium at a desired temperature.

Heating solutions designed for terrariums may also be useful.

I am sure some other people have some good solutions...

• Skywatcher likes this

#3 PapMyc

PapMyc

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:40 PM

Hi coleman318. First I would try and enclose that area with some plywood or polystyrene insulation. Thos heat lamps are IMO dangerous. I have seen first hand fires started by their use. A personal electric heater with a thermostat is what I use now. They cost less then $50.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!