• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 essrocks

essrocks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:59 AM

I ordered these off wish, and they came with really weird instructions, apparently it is strictly forbidden to direct the Sun. I attempted to direct it, it did not listen. Oh well. 

Anyway, I have no clue how to plant these. It came with a small bag of what appears to be vermiculite, and a whole lot of super tiny seeds. So does it only need the verm, or do I need to add something to supplement them? Also, how many seeds should I plant at once?

20181018_104848.jpg

My girlfriend is getting antsy, and really wants me to get the fly traps going. I also have some bigger seeds, that I think are Aloe Vera variants. Any help would be appreciated. I've looked through a few threads but some of the terminology discouraged me, as I am in no way an experienced plant grower. 

20181018_105002.jpg

And for humor, here are the instructions I was given.

20181018_104900.jpg

Here are the only two planters I have available. 3D printed them a few months ago, and been needing something to put in them. 

20181018_105031.jpg

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:04 PM

"straight out of salem"  :thumbs_up:

• onediadem and essrocks like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:48 PM

Venus fly traps are a bog plant, and nitrogen rich anything kills them. The soil is a mix of peat and perlite, which is good. 

You will do best if you plant them in a smaller pot with drain holes, and place that in the container that holds water.

Use distilled water, or rain water only. 

Fill the pot with the soil mix, and soak it through. Place that in a pot or bowl that holds water and keep some in there. Don't let it go dry.

The seeds are sprinkled on the surface and left uncovered. Either use a humidity dome, or cover with a plastic wrap to get them to germinate. Bright light, but not direst sun yet. Once they get going, slowly go to more air exchange, and when they are producing the first true flytrap leaves, you can acclimate them progressively to full sun.

Succulents are not as picky. Use a cactus soil and plant them shallow.

• onediadem, coorsmikey and Juthro like this

#4 essrocks

essrocks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:43 AM

Thank you Skywatcher, I'll hunt down the peat and cactus soil and get started right away!
  • Skywatcher likes this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:13 AM

Thank you Skywatcher, I'll hunt down the peat and cactus soil and get started right away!

That bag of soil that came with the seeds is peat and perlite mixed. I have gotten enough to recognise it with various carnivorous plants I have bought over the years.

#6 essrocks

essrocks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:41 AM

Oh, the bag came with the succulent seeds though, should I use that for the fly traps, and get some cactus soil to use for the succulents? I mean, I would definitely need more than they gave me in order to use my 3d printed plant holders. I wanted to use both of those for succulents and I'm going to print a separate one for the fly traps, probably a Medusa head :D

I'll keep your pointers in mind when designing it, I can make an outter shell for the water, and then the medusa head planter can have drain holes in it also, but I plan on it being fixed in there. 

#7 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:08 AM

I misunderstood. If that came with the succulents, you can not use it for the flytraps. I use a 50/50 blend of peat and perlite for all carnivorous plants. I use double pots, interior with bottom hole, and exterior non draining to keep a well of water so the pot never dries out. (bog environment)

Most people think the flytraps and the pitcher plants need low light and high humidity. In actuality a bog has no shade. Mine do the best and have the full coloration when they are out on the patio table with full sun. I also like that they can feast on any mosquitos or flies that like to come around. They get all the nutrition they need from insects so don't ever try to give them any plant food. (sudden death)

Its pretty amazing how many bugs a single pitcher gets loaded up with.......

Seeds are always an exercise in patience.

• essrocks likes this

#8 essrocks

essrocks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

I have plenty of perlite from my first mushroom grow chamber, I bought WAY too much, but I'm sure it'll come in handy as I start venturing out onto other types of plants. My yard has a perfect spot to build a grow bed for sun-loving things, but they have to be able to survive some pretty harsh winters. Therefore, most of my grows will be indoors. 

Peat and cactus soil are the two things on my shopping list, and to get to work printing the medusa head double planter. 

• Skywatcher likes this

#9 essrocks

essrocks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:50 PM

3.5 hours into the print, 5.5 hours to go. I love using this to make practical things, rather than just little figurines to put up on shelves. I've never made one to hold water before, hoping it doesnt have any leaks. It might though, because I'm printing it sideways (would have been harder to trim supports off if I printed it right side up). so all the grain flow is vertical, I feel like it's going to seep through the lines but maybe not. 

20181020_153154.jpg

and here is the 3D rendering of it

HJmYORN.png

Hoping that it works out and holds water, if not, I might just spray the bottom and outside of the bowl with a few coats of flex seal, that should work. 

#10 essrocks

essrocks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:24 AM

Well, I wish I had made the head a little bigger, or paid more attention to the depth of the hole in the head. It is only 6.3mm deep and 33mm in diameter. Don't think I'll be using it for anything, I'll just go simple and purchase the pots but it was worth a shot. 

I would have cleaned it up more than I did if I was going to be using it, but here is a pic of the final result. 

What size planter pot would you recommend? And how many seeds should I put in there for the venus fly trap?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181021_121030.jpg

• Skywatcher likes this

#11 coleman318

coleman318

MycoStudious

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:36 PM

Your aloe Vera could survive in that pot if seeds are germinated with plastic wrap or so stated above. Would not be ideal but I’m sure if you want it to work a shallow dish would work. At least until it outgrows it.

#12 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:33 AM

What size planter pot would you recommend? And how many seeds should I put in there for the venus fly trap?

I would use a 2" pot , and probably put 6 or so seeds in there. I would set that pot in a 4-5 inch pot that has no drain hole. If there is a big depth discrepancy between the two, I often use a layer of aquarium gravel in the bottom of the bigger pot, to raise the lip of the inside pot to the same level.

• essrocks likes this

#13 essrocks

essrocks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:26 AM

Perfect, thanks! 

I planned on putting the Aloe in the oddish planter, since it most closely resembles the oddish leaves, and the succulents in the bulbasaur planter. I thought Medusa was a genius idea for the fly traps, perhaps I'll print it out again with better dimensions sometime. 

• Skywatcher likes this

#14 Trich

Trich

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:32 AM

These are one of my favorite plants, hope you get plenty of joy hanging out with them like I do!

• essrocks likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!