#1 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,245 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:57 PM

Over a month now................

I fall asleep without issue, but staying that way for a decent amount of hours...........

There is the issue...... 

Midnight’s not bad, I wake, and can go back to sleep. One or two’s not bad, I may toss until I drag it out of bed and make a bathroom run, but I will still sleep again.

If I make it until five or six in the morning, there’s hope, for dawn’s just under the horizon, and getting up does not seem so desperate. 

But three, three A.M.! Doctors say the body’s at low tide then. The soul is out. The blood moves slow. You’re the nearest to dead you’ll ever be save dying. 

Sleep is a patch of death, but three in the morning, full wide-eyed staring awake, is living death! You dream with your eyes open. The mind races. It's a limbo with not quite the strength yet to rouse up, or I'd slaughter these half-dreams, while wishing I could drift backward into a blissful quiet abyss!

But no, I lie pinned to a deep well-bottom that’s burned dry. The moon rolls by to look at me down here, with its frozen face. It’s a long way to sunset, and an even farther way on to dawn, so you summon all the fool things of your life, the stupid lovely things done with people once known so very well who are now so very dead, and then rehearse the worst case scenarios of things to come as seen through a distorted fisheye lens.

Wasn’t it true, I read somewhere, that more people in hospitals die at 3 A.M. than at any other time...

Four AM has been when I give up and climb out to find the coffee pot, hopefully without waking the dog or anyone still sleeping.....
I have been stuck in this cycle for so long now I have seen the constellations move a full 8 week turning.

The pre-dawn hours are quiet, and somewhat enjoyable once I am awake, but I will be dozing through the day, anytime I sit still for long enough.....

Any other insomniacs out there? 
Any advice for staying asleep for more than a 5 hour night? I am beginning to question my own thought and perception................
and dulled to perception's I am used to feeling, which makes me feel vulnerable somehow.....

• onediadem, Juthro, Cigarsam and 1 other like this

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,521 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:01 AM

I was taking melatonin to sleep better, as I wake up to pee so many times through the night.   I was up to thee hits of it, and it wasn't working.   I heard a sleep expert on CtoCAM say that the proper dose was one sixth the dose size you buy.  I started chopping the tablets into tiny pieces and I find I am sleeping much better.   I did wait for a couple of weeks not taking any before I came back on at the micro dose level.

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,245 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:09 AM

I've tried melatonin. I even attended a sleep study course which discussed the lower doses, which resulted in an additional list of herbs and blue block glasses to counter the blue light for a few hours before bed. Falling asleep is not my problem. I doze off quickly once I hit the pillow. I just can't stay there.

My biggest concern is this three AM shit has become the norm. Its like a buzzer goes off in my head, a demented little voice saying "Wakey wakey ! Time to sift through all the ashes of the day, what was and what will be. Time to go stare at the stars while the world sleeps. 

I am about ready to start looking for something like seconal, just to get a full night of oblivion, but the knowing that a fog will chase me through the day after stops me...........................................

• Cigarsam likes this

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

I've tried melatonin. I even attended a sleep study course which discussed the lower doses, which resulted in an additional list of herbs and blue block glasses to counter the blue light for a few hours before bed. Falling asleep is not my problem. I doze off quickly once I hit the pillow. I just can't stay there.

My biggest concern is this three AM shit has become the norm. Its like a buzzer goes off in my head, a demented little voice saying "Wakey wakey ! Time to sift through all the ashes of the day, what was and what will be. Time to go stare at the stars while the world sleeps. 

I am about ready to start looking for something like seconal, just to get a full night of oblivion, but the knowing that a fog will chase me through the day after stops me...........................................

Maybe you should consider changing your username on Mycotopia....  I think your subconscious is waking you up because it feels you need to justify the name "Skywatcher" by taking "Time to go stare at the stars while the world sleeps."!!

I am no doctor, but a different Username may do you some good: "Shut-eye grabber", "Pillow Hugger" (Not Pillow Biter), "Snuggle Monkey", "Over Sleeper", "Nap Negotiator", "The Dashing Dreamer", "Dream Dominator", "Lullaby Listener", "Snore Virtuoso", "Captivating Cuddler", "Sheep Counter".... 

I think any of these could aid your situation... I accept many forms of payment... Will you be paying with cash, check, money order, crypto currency, or indentured servitude? 

Edited by PJammer24, 19 October 2018 - 10:02 AM.

• Skywatcher, Alder Logs, OldBear and 1 other like this

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,521 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:40 AM

I find when I nap during the day, I will be wakeful at those hours too.  If I want lots of sleep in the night, I can achieve it by working my ass into the ground for long hours during the day, and not drinking fluids after 8:00PM.   If my last pee comes before two AM, I might sleep ten hours this way.  Of course, the next night will revert.   I have to go now, but I will have more ideas that likely will be useless.

• Skywatcher likes this

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:09 AM

If, like Alder, getting your ass worked into the ground is a good solution.... Indentured Servitude with PJ may be just what the doctor ordered!

• Skywatcher likes this

#7 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:50 AM

Really sorry to hear about your troubles SW, insomnia is truly a waking nightmare. I've suffered from bouts since I was a teenager, sometimes lasting for up to two months. Thank Morpheus it's been over a year now since the last episode.

For me it was the same thing, I'd pass out easily but I'd be up again around 2:00am, mind in high gear. I got a lot of unnecessary thinking and worrying done during those delirious hours. Like Alder said, small doses of melatonin could briefly help but it was a bandaid.

Looking back on all of these episodes, I can easily see that they came during times of transition and peak stress. Most of my anxious thoughts were focused on my responsibilities and all the little semi-conscious dramas taking place in the daylight hours. All of these stressors were just begging to be strategically resolved, and when I accomplished this and passed through them, sleep returned like a river breaking through a dam.

I think my success avoiding insomnia recently is due largely to reducing all sources of anxiety and stress in my life. Excercise goes a long way (I jog every other day). Eliminating caffeine was a must for me. If your bowel is troubling you at night, I suspect it's because it's either inhibited by tension during the day, or it may be necessary to modify your diet in some way. Fiber, hydration and fermented foods go a long way to improving the ol' compost factory. Also, I never drink liquids less than an hour before bed.

I inevitably have to piss in the middle of the night, but I keep a big Mason jar beside my bed so that I don't have to walk to the toilet and wake my brain up with bright lights. I'm attempting to re-civilize the chamber-pot. I have a very dim light I can turn on so I can at least see where I'm aiming, then I put the jar well out of the way and pass right out again. Just don't forget where you put your jar and knock it over when you get out of bed... not speaking from experience here or anything.

Edited by DonShadow, 19 October 2018 - 12:23 PM.

• Skywatcher, Cigarsam and whirledpeas like this

#8 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

Also, a tea with the following herbs knocks me out every time. It's great for resetting the sleep cycle and getting your system back on track. I drink a strong cup two hours before bedtime and it brings on this amazing full-body melting feeling. Won't make you groggy in the AM either.
IMG_2930.PNG

Edited by DonShadow, 19 October 2018 - 12:11 PM.

• Skywatcher, Juthro and Cigarsam like this

#9 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,334 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:17 PM

I hope relief is on the way. Have you ever been to a hypnotist? One can help if you can be hypnotized.

• PJammer24, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#10 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,245 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:45 PM

Looking back on all of these episodes, I can easily see that they came during times of transition and peak stress. Most of my anxious thoughts were focused on my responsibilities and all the little semi-conscious dramas taking place in the daylight hours. All of these stressors were just begging to be strategically resolved, and when I accomplished this and passed through them, sleep returned like a river breaking through a dam.

This virtually hits a nail in my head. Unfortunately the biggest stress points for me at the instant, are things I can't fix.I have a partner who is in constant pain and has been getting worse, and now dealing with depression and new pains.... and pets that are dying or suffering , not from any lack of attempts to do near anything to help.

Activity is not an issue as at present I am the housekeeper, animal tender, cook, washer, gardener, medical appointment scheduler and medication control, chaufer, banker, bill juggler, and full time therapist. I'm not complaining, its the way it is.

My nature is to fix what's broken, and I don't give up easily. 

I have my own health and pain issues, but these are pale shades in my priority scale.

I accept (when its daylight and I am awake) that I cannot fix much of this, but it does not halt the flow of fear, worry, and anxiety, or the "Illogical" dissection of the nuances of the day that comes upon me unwelcomed during those between hours in the night.

I would appreciate any more detailed directions as far as the measurements of the tea recipe. I don't seem able to break this cycle on my own.

I have never successfully been hypnotised, although quite a few attempts have been made.

Edited by Skywatcher, 19 October 2018 - 02:48 PM.

• onediadem and Juthro like this

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,500 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:57 PM

I feel for you Skye,  I am in the same boat with frequent bouts of insomnia.  Mine is mostly from pain issues in my back, and I have yet to find a magic bullet that works consistently.  Sometimes I go weeks on end without more then 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night.  It can get so bad that I'm not safe to drive, as I tend to nod off with little to no warning once i get that badly sleep deprived.

I am following along, with hope that you find something that works for you, so that there may be a chance it will work for me too.

Edited by Juthro, 19 October 2018 - 02:58 PM.

• onediadem and Skywatcher like this

#12 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:07 PM

I second this :- "I would appreciate any more detailed directions as far as the measurements of the tea recipe."

Whilst thankfully insomnia is not currently a big issue for me I have had regular extended bouts in the past. I can empathise with your current torture. I did find Melatonin helped but only for a few weeks, then it would stop being effective. Hope you'll find some relief :)

• Skywatcher likes this

#13 r36r0w7h

r36r0w7h

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:33 PM

Sorry you are having sleep issues Sky. I have a similar problem, but not as drastic. I usually fall asleep around 10-10:30PM every night unless I'm just that tired, then a bit earlier. I have to wake up at 4ish for work during the week. But I'll be damned if I don't wake up at 3:30 most every single morning. Drives me nuts. I could really use that extra 40 or so minutes, lol. And this has been happening for the last 2.5 months. Although this last week I think I've been sleeping until my alarm goes off, which is nice, but that extra 40 or so minutes doesn't really help me :rolleyes:

Hope you get things figured out.

• Skywatcher likes this

#14 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,245 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2018 - 06:08 AM

I am starting to suspect there is more to this than just insomnia...........................

Last night, my cat who has been at deaths door, but is having an at least temporary recovery after having masses of fluid drained from around his heart and lungs, came in to sleep with me for the night. He has not done this for months, and I had honestly missed his company at night.

I was sleeping with prince valium, trying to get a full night, yet at 3: 03 I woke up like instantly. No going back to sleep when the mind is racing along. As I opened my eyes I saw it was too bright in the hallway. Way too bright. Wondering what this was from I got up. The dresser light from the bedroom next to me was on. This was my Mother in Laws room, and that light never gets turned on. I actually had to hunt for the remote button we kept by her bed so she could turn it on with a button push. She had sundowners at the end of her dementia and often got up in the middle of the night unless I caught her and marched her back to bed.....

We lost her in December last year. I would not feel threatened by her presence, but had not really been feeling her around, I have been questioning many of the little occurances around here. I don't so much feel a presence, yet there is something......

Yes I know, I have just proven the reason for this thread being in Twilight Zone.........................................

I do not know if this is the first inkling of some energy around the house, or its source yet. I do not know if I should feel concern or not, I am no stranger to cohabitating with spirits or entities. I usually am more perceptive to their origin, but seem to be drawing a blank.

I also wonder if the prolonged time with limited sleep is making me delusional. I don't feel delusional, just tired and frustrated. I also don't want to be too quick to make any assumptions.

Well, this just turned into a 4 o'clock non-sleep journal......................

Edited by Skywatcher, 20 October 2018 - 06:48 AM.

• Cigarsam likes this

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,521 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:28 AM

Remember, being on daylight savings time, 3AM is 2AM.    Maybe try some hot castor oil packs on your liver for a while.  I would expect the valium to work against getting that better.  But also, fried foods would not help. 

Waking up at the same time each night? The Chinese medicine "body clock" explains why.

• Skywatcher likes this

#16 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:33 PM

Hey SW and Cuboid, unfortunately I don't know the precise ratios for the tea as I buy a premixed loose bag from a local herbalist. The owner of the shop is very friendly, I'll send her an email to ask about the recipe and get back to you as soon as I get an answer.
  • Skywatcher and Cuboid like this

#17 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:05 PM

No probs, I did wonder about going to a local herbalist and just asking them to produce the mix in an appropriate ratio. Would still be interested if you do happen get details though. :)
  • Skywatcher likes this

#18 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,245 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:16 AM

I have now had two nights in a row of 7 hours, and am feeling more "with it ". I used a cocktail of benadryl and low dose vicodin the first night, more out of desperation, taken 1 hour before bedtime just to try and re-set my sleep cycle. Last night I was dozing from 8pm on, but tried not to give in as I want my regular pattern set, and tried a valerian root tea before bed. 

I am supposed to see my doctor this week, but am not confident he will help on this issue. He has already declined to refill my anxiety meds for undetermined reasons, although I don't consider 15 times in a 3 month period excessive use.

I prefer more herbal based assistants, and have found some blends with most of the same herbs as in the blend show by DonShadow. I would have to order it and that takes a while so I am holding off.

I also plan to totally "cleanse" the entire house and yard, and re-charge all my grids and crystal tools in the moonlight to clear out any residual negative energy. The house always feels so fresh afterward, and some of these home grids have gone a while now without a good re-boot.

Hopefully I can continue to re-set the sleep cycle clock until it is repetitively stable again at regular hours.......

Positive vibes appreciated..........................................................

• Juthro likes this

#19 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,521 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:47 AM

Now that the nights are getting longer and I am inside more hours, I think I am going to do a regime of hot castor oil liver packs again.   These are in the record back to Ancient Egypt, I believe, and they were frequently prescribed in the Edgar Cayce readings.   If that Chinese medicine stuff about the liver function being connected to waking at that time has anything in it, it couldn't hurt.  When I started with this Chinese medicine doc, this was one of the first things he had me do, insisting that the body will heal itself when all the organs are functioning as they are meant to.   He set out first to address this idea.

I remember I had much the same sleep disturbances you described when I was drinking.   I had a keg of IPA in the fridge, for crisakes.   I was drinking whiskey too back then.   My neighbor has complained of waking every night and rarely getting back to sleep for friggin years.   I have suggested she stop having her couple of drinks every afternoon, but that pattern doesn't change.   And everyone knows, I think, that this is why we even have livers.   Her liver is 75 years old and has never had a break.   I hate to say it, but the liver has the same job to do when we take most pharmaceuticals or eat food cooked in hot oils.   

So, I'm putting castor oil on my list for this weeks town trip. 

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#20 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,454 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:04 AM

I'm living this same problem.

Some things I've noticed - getting out of bed and getting on the computer is bad news and most likely worsens the situation

like Alder said, working to exhaustion usually over rides whatever is causing this

a nap mid day feels good but might be THE cause of the cycle of not sleeping at night

But I'm right with you - I fall asleep for as few as two minutes and wake up so awake that sleep isn't an option for another couple hours.

Fortunately getting up to drain the vein doesn't result in not being able to get back to sleep

At least for myself, it appears that  the nap habit and late night computering are the villians

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!