• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Appy

Appy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

I gave my husband 2g of shrooms (2g for me too) and we were just going to chill and watch a movie. He has mentioned before that the coming up part always makes him grind his teeth a little. He seemed to handle things well the week prior (same amount) so I thought we were all good. Now, this time he did smoke a little weed beforehand - I don't smoke weed anymore so I honestly don't know what effect it has on shrooms but the first hour he wasn't doing so good.

We were watching Legend (that old fantasy movie with Tom Cruise and Tim Curry) and he kept saying, "Wow this is some nightmare shit." I had forgotten how dark that movie was, to be honest, or I wouldn't have suggested it. Anyway, I could start to see that physically he wasn't doing well and he wasn't sure exactly what was happening. I recognized it as an anxiety attack because I've been dealing with those for years (shrooms really help me with that). He wanted something to help him come off it, but from what I understand, most of these "methods" are junk science and I didn't want to get his hopes up so I was honest in telling him that we're gonna have to ride it out and that it won't take long.

By this point I turned the movie off and let him decide how he wanted to use his space; whether or not he wanted me to hold him or lay on the couch alone. I also coached him through breathing in through the nose and blowing out like through a straw or like he was trying to cool soup. I avoided saying things like "calm down" or "relax" because lord knows what that shit does to me when I have anxiety lol. I also didn't try to coddle him or act overly concerned, which can also make things worse.

I put on some music (Dead Can Dance) and just kept talking. He would ask me questions as I was talking so I know he was focusing on that. I told him about the time I rappelled 10 stories even though I had a fear of heights - I leaned back off the face of the earth went for it and just focused on feeding my rope and getting to the bottom (it was for a class so I wanted that grade + I don't really like to reveal my fears in front of people I hardly know). The girl who went after me freaked out halfway and hung there for an entire hour, crying. She had gotten halfway so she already knew how to do it, she just let her fears stall her. All she had to do was resume the rhythm and her feet would be on the ground in no time (eventually she did get down). 

This is where I told my husband that weeks after getting my grade, I started having anxiety attacks about rappelling. I would revisit over and over and over again coming off that mountain but I would have something go wrong with my knots or my harness and I would fall 100ft and go splat. This would plague me for years and I even went to a therapist about it (EFT tapping). It suddenly fucking occurred to me that all I needed to do in my thoughts was to "trust my knots" because I was the one who tied them and that I no longer needed to worry about intrusive thoughts of falling. It was a huge revelation to me and my husband found it helpful as well. 

By this time he has calmed down a lot. He was still a bit scatterbrained but he was definitely in a better place. He wanted to finish watching the movie and was able to handle it better lol. I just really liked talking with him for a few hours. I just hated that the front end was so nightmarish for him. I don't think I'll be taking him to meet Gaea anytime soon. 

Do you think the weed might have set him off? Or is there something that will make the coming up a little more manageable? I have the opposite effect when the shrooms kick in; I am totally mellowed out.

I just don't want to see him like that again :(

• Xerces and Skywatcher like this

#2 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 513 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:51 PM

I use the lime juice tek. Really fast come up and down. That movie would’ve fucked me up too. Some strains have made me anxious though, couple good strong drinks always helped me. Peace.
  • riseabovethought and Appy like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:47 PM

Mind set, and setting, are the most important factors (IMHO).   Toys, glow sticks, or some good music are all good things to focus on if your (or someone else's) trip is starting to go somewhere you dont want to go. 

I like to have some of these things already set up and ready for use before I trip, as it can be challenging to do so when tripping balls.

• riseabovethought, Skywatcher, whirledpeas and 2 others like this

#4 Appy

Appy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

I use the lime juice tek. Really fast come up and down. That movie would’ve fucked me up too. Some strains have made me anxious though, couple good strong drinks always helped me. Peace.

Is lime different from lemon (tek wise)? I did soak the shrooms in lemon juice for 20 min. A shorter trip is definitely my preference. 

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#5 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 513 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:23 PM

Same difference. Citric acid is citric acid. I do throw a half a shot of vodka in the mix.

Edited by MycoAnt81, 21 October 2018 - 07:23 PM.

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:29 PM

Is lime different from lemon (tek wise)? I did soak the shrooms in lemon juice for 20 min. A shorter trip is definitely my preference. 

If your looking for a more intense, but shorter trip, you might give tea a shot.    The amount of time for the dose to take effect is much shorter, as is the trip, but the time that you are tripping is more concentrated, and more intense.

Personally, tea is my favorite method of flying the psychedelic skies.  As a bonus, many folks say it lessons the body load considerably as well.

This is faverite method of doing tea... https://mycotopia.ne...hoopin-tea-tek/

• Oam, MycoAnt81 and Appy like this

#7 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 778 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:52 PM

In my opinion for the anxiety, I wouldn't watch a movie and I'd give the mushrooms all of my attention. I often don't feel like music works well with it, but at other times it does. It needs to be felt out. With some of my worst fearful experiences in trips that Beatles song about LOVE was absolutely necessary! And, lower doses aren't a bad idea. 

Edited by Guy1298, 21 October 2018 - 09:57 PM.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,489 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:27 AM

I think different people react differently. Weed has always been an intensifier for me. This being true for not just mushrooms, but cactus and LSD as well. For me personally it adds a dream like quality which I find more  soothing, but I have seen people where that combined with a body load sets off a panic state.

I don't do alot of mushrooms, but prefer the lemon tea tec when I have to reduce the body load. I have also found it is better for me to not smoke any weed for the come up, and wait until the peak has passed. If I use it then, I get a second peak with a more mellowed mental state.

Combos on any mixture seem to affect people differently so I would consider doing it strait up next time.

• riseabovethought, Juthro, MycoAnt81 and 1 other like this

#9 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

Cannabis will kick it back in for sure. I can attest to that. Everything Juthro said was spot on. Setting a mood is very key.
  • Juthro likes this

#10 elfstone

elfstone

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 250 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:45 AM

As an inveterate pot smoker in the mid 70s, growing up to 50 of my own selectively bred strain of Columbian/Mexican Sativa Haze plants in an outdoor organic garden, thus living a “wake and bake” Rastafarian lifestyle for several years, it came as quite a shock to me when, in 1978, while exploring the effects of 5 dried grams of the McKenna brothers’ Amazonian strain while floating inside a Samadhi Isolation Tank that I had purchased just for this purpose, that the spirit in the mushroom, Los Santos Niños, straight up directed me to give up weed and all other intoxicants with the promise that the deeper visions would only be vouchsafed to me if I took loving care of my body so as to assure my health and increase longevity for the work they were calling me to take up for the good of myself and humanity.  I dutifully followed this advice, received some 40 years ago now, and have been deeply grateful that I chose the course that had been laid out for me by the spirit in the mushroom.  The mushrooms are not a “drug” in the sense we Westerners use that word, they are medicine that when taken into the body in sufficient quantity, effect profound healing and transformation.  Mixing them with alcohol or weed or any other "intoxicant" seems antithetical and pointless to the purpose of eating them.  I friend of mine for over 22 years has recently been called to take up the work of training with a Mazatec curandera who is guiding him in how to effectively work with the mushrooms in a traditional velada ceremony.  She will present him with a banana leaf heaped with derrumbes (Psilocybe caerulescens) and expect him to ingest it and then stay present and aware through the whole experience, directing attention to the traditional altar and focusing the mind on the candle flame and the act of chanting/singing/prayer.  This is in direct contrast to the passive approach taken by the JH and other research teams where the subject is blindfolded, has headphones put on, and surrenders to the unfolding of the experience.  Although potentially transformative, the Mazatec elders refer to this as the "lazy" way of working with the medicine.  The potential within the mushroom is immense and profound, if you persist and learn how to work with it.  Yes, some experiences are easy, some difficult, some even terrifying, but it is important to realize that we are not taking the medicine for ourselves alone, but for humanity.  I am about to begin a series of intensive trainings with my friend using the traditional approach.  The last time I worked intensively with the mushrooms, doing one 5 dried gram experience with a small group of fellow explorers every Friday night for a full year, I learned an immense amount.  I have much more to learn and am looking forward to taking the plunge again with my good and trusted friend.  Through the work of my friend and others deeply involved with the Mazatec elders, they will soon be provided a platform for bringing their traditional knowledge forward to the world, which is in such need of this medicine path, speaking directly to us without intermediaries.  My friend now realizes that he has taken up the work of a lifetime.  This is, in my humble opinion, the most important line of work being done in the field to date.

Edited by elfstone, 22 October 2018 - 11:50 AM.

• Oam, OldBear, Appy and 1 other like this

#11 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:46 AM

I have had really crazy experiences on mushrooms myself and have watched others have very different but in someways similar experiences...

I had a "freak out" may be more like a pass out at a Peach Melba show where I fell and hit the back of my head on the pool table... I quickly came to and the first two times I tried to get up, I hit my head on the under side of the pool table. I realized I was under there and tilted my head to get up saying, "I'm ok".... To my chagrin, the hippie in the corner said (in facetious tone) "Ya, Your ok..."

I grabbed on to my friend's shirt as she led me through the crowd to get some air...

I have also been with friends where we were all having a blast... Slowly Jimbo got weird. He put on his winter jacket despite it being warm and every time you would hand him the pipe, he would sarcastically jab outward to grab it... Eventually, he jumped out of his seat, left without saying a word, and was MIA until the next day...

Everyone can be effected differently and those effects can change from experience to experience... It isn't all that hard to get your mind moving in a negative direction and not be able to turn the ship around. I think this is more common with boomers than with L... I prefer Love myself and think it is easier for me to control, it is a longer experience but that touched by an angel feeling is incredible!!

• whirledpeas and Appy like this

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:57 AM

sarcastically should read spastically, which isn't a real word... I hope you get the point.

#13 whirledpeas

whirledpeas

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:16 AM

I've only had one bad trip, and i feel totally responsible for it.   .. I made a snap decision to do them after a bad night at work. I was very fatigued and frustrated over a bout of insomnia... so no preparation, and careless attitude about taking them (i usually have some reason, not just recreational). .. Went straight into a bad deal and i knew it was bad and that i had messed up. So i talked to myself and said "Okay you are just having a bad trip, this is not real, but you will have to just ride this out." 

I did put on a positive talk from utube, (music was intensifying the negativity, even very upbeat music).. the monotone talk helped me relax a bit and bring in some "normal" tone to the room.  Other than that it was "this will pass". And i think i was drinking water? 

It was a learning experience for me.   Not to take this too lightly, not taken for granted. These things have some power to them. They are the essence of a living thing we are ingesting, interacting with our mind. Respect. ... And to really have prep time and watch carefully what one puts in their environment. 

That's just my thoughts on it anyway.

Edited by whirledpeas, 12 November 2018 - 04:18 AM.

• Appy likes this

#14 Appy

Appy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:47 PM

So New Year's Eve I munched on some mushrooms (same batch from Oct). I only did 1.5g cause I just wanted to mellow out a bit to be more talkative with company. However, I might have gotten the odd one my husband got in the OP; I started having heart palps, which has never happened before. My husband said he was having heart palpitations back in Oct & I thought it was just his anxiety at the time... but wow, I felt what he felt. Since I'm used to anxiety attacks :( it was no big deal for me and I was able to keep my cool until the fluttery feelings subsided. But... How common are heart palpitations when eating shrooms? The most I experience physically are annoying ear pops.

Edited by Appy, 23 January 2019 - 09:47 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!