Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Grating cakes for bulk, 3 jars each of 2 different strains, will it work?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:24 AM

Eh, my tubs are struggling cuz of temp/humidity fluctuations and FAE probs. I had left the humidifier in the room on for 24 hrs when I forgot to shut it off & I had to work all night the other night. 

I usually  only run it for an hour or so 2-3 times a day because of the furnace drying everything out. Also there's no vents in the room(big walk in closet) and I gotta run a heater sometimes at night so It got really cold and humid the other night, so I'm pretty sure that was the problem. 

A few pins started to get light brown sorta color like bruising on the stipes and split(around, not down), like the cap started separating early and the biggest one's cap is pre-maturely opening. Also the same color on a patch of myc on the sub.

I normally don't run a fan in there cuz there's good air movement but I put one in there to dry it a bit, the walls even felt sorta damp, and I ran the heater also.

Now, if a fruit drops spores on the substrate, does it really signal others to do the same? I kinda noticed they don't do as well after a spore mess and googled it, and found people on these forums saying exactly that. Is this true? Is it like a hormonal signaling or something? It's interesting.

I let a lot of my cake fruits sporulate all over, and the second flushes were kinda crappy, then a few had big thirds, but some only gave one or two flushes. Is the spore mess on the cakes/substrate causing this?

These tubs did start pinning really early and are taking a while to grow, I'm still dialing in FAE, replaced polyfil with microprore on one to see if there's much difference. They both seem to keep slight condensation on the top tub and they do seem to be recovering with the added tiny fan across the closet blowing towards the wall.

The pics are the same, but oh well I took em.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181113_035947.jpg
  • IMG_20181113_035933.jpg
  • IMG_20181113_035918.jpg
  • IMG_20181113_035849.jpg
  • IMG_20181113_035818.jpg

Edited by Billcoz, 13 November 2018 - 04:25 AM.

#42 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:03 PM

Somebody would have to show me some high level science before I believed that about spores triggering more spore drop. That's of no benefit to the organism at all.

Tiny mushrooms maturing early are likely just bad genetics, but stress could be a factor, poor growth conditions, or competitor fungus. At a base level the mycelium wants to procreate, produce spores. Stress it too much, it fella its dying and will race to produce spores.
  • Billcoz likes this

#43 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 05:07 PM

Lol, your probably right, but it was convincing cuz I thought of it myself after having small flushes, then searching around I read something saying that the spores dropping on substrates/cakes causes genetic competition, like the spores from a set of genes land and taint the ground so other genes can't fruit/propagate, sounded more convincing when I read it(on shroomery).

What about the theory that when fruits are left to sporulate too long, it signals all the rest of the pins/fruits to drop them too, even small ones, is that true? I have noticed that seems to happen to mine as well, though I don't know that that's exactly why. 

Hey, I just got my PC delivered, sweet.

#44 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 05:17 PM

This is some of what I had read-  https://www.shroomer...Number/19370418

There was more I just can't find it. In this one the replies are back and forth, yes and no.

Look at the bottom in the related threads, there's more threads about this.

Edited by Billcoz, 13 November 2018 - 05:20 PM.

#45 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,464 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:03 PM

Must be hard science if  it came from there. Have you asked RR if its true? Sorry I'm done being a dick now.

Spore dropping on your colonies can inhibit future pin development but doesn't mean it will. Best Practice is to avoid it. It won't ruin a grow no matter how much is blame something like that than something controllable. Spores dropping do not make other spore drop prematurely. That would be like saying if you dropped mature mushrooms on a fresh sub that would give you a canopy of fresh mushrooms. But hey shroomery has some good folks in there pocket, maybe Rockafeller could shin some light on the subject, other than the few good one they have, the info is much like Reddit.

They small mushroom is a result of genetics or poor hydration, maybe even a hidden competitor robbing its resources. 

• Soliver and Billcoz like this

#46 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:30 AM

Iv'e had trouble keeping the environment dialed in so that is more likely the problems I've had. And yeah, I think I remember R.R. chiming in somewhere in that thread lol, It's really old.

#47 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:23 AM

Well, I seem to have gotten BOTH forms(B+/Blue Meanie)of cubes COOPERATING, fruiting in these tubs! 

The B.M.s have a tendency to have lighter/honey-brown colored caps as pins as opposed to the B+ with darker brown/reddish pin caps though some are more similar or exactly the same. The BMs tend to pin smaller/ narrower, with less bulk in the pin stipe.

FAE problems caused the first pins to look small/a litl shitty, but I seem to have dialed it in for the most part, they got a small amount of condensation on the walls, but the sub doesn't have any droplets, and is not bluing(IDK if bulk subs go blue like cakes from dryness) but is still brownish from being wet.

They were pretty wet when I first opened em up, then got dried out and then over-humidified alongwith the whole grow room. I had polyfil in loose and it was too wet still, so I've tried a couple different types of tyvec material/tape, and now I think I got it dialed with a couple layers of plastic transpore tape.

There's a row of 1/4 inch ge/co2 holes an inch & a quarter above the sub, spaced 2 inches apart(the sub came up to within a half inch when I first mixed and spawned). The 1 foot FAE holes on the sides of the bottoms are closed, with the ends being taped, while the top 1 inch holes are taped and the seam between the tubs is taped shut.

I will charge my phone today and take pictures of the two forms of cube, with the BM & B+ tendencies, it's fascinating, they seem to've eaten up a lot of the sub, it shrank.

Finally bought a PC!

Edited by Billcoz, 14 November 2018 - 11:25 AM.

#48 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:02 PM

So much myth in the hobby - it's hard to wade through at times, as most of the theories make sense to the casual observer.

Hopefully, some day in the far future, the powers that be will at least de-criminalize all this mess so someone's turtle farting in the room isn't blamed for massive (or shitty) pinsets . . .

Stay clean, clone good fruits.  These are two of the bedrocks of the hobby . . . a lot of the rest of it is conjecture and wishful thinking.

:)

soliver

#49 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:52 PM

Must be hard science if  it came from there. Have you asked RR if its true? Sorry I'm done being a dick now.

Shit, I re-read this and now I can't stop  laughing about this RR comment lol, that's funny as hell!

#50 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:06 PM

So here's one of the tubs, notice BOTH sub-strains, B+ usually has darker, fatter caps, BMs are more honet-brown, the fully open cap os a BM, which are smaller overall on average-

IMG_20181114_185633.jpg

Oh BTW, I see what they mean when they say to cut mushrooms from a bulk substrate if you don't want holes, it's more fragile than I thought.

Oh, here's my new toy, this should make things esier on me-IMG_20181114_192948.jpg

Edited by Billcoz, 14 November 2018 - 07:34 PM.

• Soliver likes this

#51 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:28 AM

Cut mushrooms from a bulk sub?

Sounds like bad news bears to me - you'll end up leaving stumps in / on your substrate which will rot, inviting nasties.

A light twisting & pulling motion seems to work best for me - after a good flush, I pick off any remaining shroom material & spray it down in the sink, soak overnight, drain well, dust with verm & back to the FC ...

Holes in the sub is par for the course IME ..

soliver

• rhizobove and Billcoz like this

#52 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:33 PM

Cut mushrooms from a bulk sub?

Sounds like bad news bears to me - you'll end up leaving stumps in / on your substrate which will rot, inviting nasties.

A light twisting & pulling motion seems to work best for me - after a good flush, I pick off any remaining shroom material & spray it down in the sink, soak overnight, drain well, dust with verm & back to the FC ...

Holes in the sub is par for the course IME ..

soliver

A lot of guys say that if you don't want holes in the sub or if multiple scrooms are connected at the stump and they're not finishing at the same timeand you don't want to completely harvest then cut em as flush as possible.

It would just be a personal preference, I thought about it and I'll probly just twist & pull them, but it did surprise me how easily a chunk of the sub came up with the stump, I'll just be careful.

The FAE problem seems to be all dialed in and there really getting bigger, check it-IMG_20181115_182358.jpg  

B.M.forms-IMG_20181115_182545.jpg IMG_20181115_182715.jpg

I think the bigger ones are B+, someare too similar to tell.

Check out my new toy going to work on some agar, I'll post about it, I came up with a sweet tek(lol) that I haven't been able to find anyone doing yet-IMG_20181115_181236.jpg

Edited by Billcoz, 15 November 2018 - 06:50 PM.

#53 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:25 AM

Ah - the multiple shrooms / one stump makes sense, as long as the stump comes up before it goes black ...

Congrats on the harvest ...

Agar is the next level - keep on keepin on!

soliver

#54 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:18 AM

When you cut, make sure you do take off a tiny bit of the sub with it. It does rot. Shrooms will grow from the holes or freshly opened substrate but not from rot lol.

Made that mistake recently. Ended up having to cut /shave of the entirety of the top of a tub. Worked fine after that.

#55 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:47 AM

Like so...

Leave no stumps.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181116_103048.jpg
  • 20181116_103415.jpg
  • 20181116_103439.jpg

#56 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

Okay, this IS my first bulk grow so I don't always know what to expect, now I can't see why all those guys say not to twist, I think one of em was this dude called "Willie Myco", ya heard of him lol? I heard him say not to twist(with a heavy Boston accent).

I get that casings will need to be patched, but that's not what they were saying, anyways, I got the FAE dialed good, these are gettin FAT, I see why everyone says that with pf you'll get smaller fruits, these are short but the fattest I've had. 

My phone is dead so I can't post pics but I just pulled the two biggest, I'm pretty sure their B+, they're short and FAT.

Are they short because of the short tubs? can they tell? Lol, prolly genetics right? 

And jesus, they su5re do shit out the fucking spores! I wanted to get em early and didn't expect em ta drop that quik. I like seeing the caps open and I feel like I should wait every time, then it's a mess.

Edited by Billcoz, 16 November 2018 - 04:58 PM.

#57 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 01:35 PM

That pic of the sub is after I cut them off, no patching. Just wanted to show you how deep to go.

About 1/8in under the shrooms will do, and no holes, see?

PFs may be short, but put them side by side to say, Hawaiians of the same heights. The PFs will weigh twice as much.

I think PF is one of the most underrated strains. The professor worked on these genetics for years and years, and he came up with a wonderful strain. People seem to forget that. They want to pin so badly no matter the conditions.
  • Billcoz likes this

#58 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:57 PM

Cool, I ditched the theory of not cutting, I immediately saw it was dumb and got the hang of twisting, barely any sub comes up now though I imagine with a casing youd need to patch.

I was JUST reading about PF classic on fanaticus.com 

Check out the new pics from these tubs/"shoeboxes"(not fucking big enough for shoes), notice the two color characteristics-IMG_20181115_182358.jpg IMG_20181116_110626.jpg IMG_20181117_101236.jpg IMG_20181115_182545 (1).jpg IMG_20181117_160856.jpg IMG_20181117_160924.jpg

Hey, so is it detrimental to have the sub completely covered in spores? They all dropped while I was sleeping goddamnit.

Oh , and there's a few pins left in one of the tubs, when should I call it a first flush and soak? Anyone NOT recommend dunk/soak of bulk subs? Iv'e read some don't some do, I wasn't going to until there's no pins..

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181115_182715 (1).jpg

Edited by Billcoz, 17 November 2018 - 05:38 PM.

#59 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:43 PM

Check 'sout-IMG_20181117_180314.jpg IMG_20181117_180526.jpg

It's a DIY inoculating loop. I used my exacto-knife handle and a bread/twist tie with the coating burned off then bent it into a U shape then stuck the ends int the knife handle blade slot and tightened it down.

I used a 1/8" drill bit, put it through the loop and pulled it tight and started twisting until it was down to the base. 

When I stuck the ends of the twisty-tie in the slot I made it wide so the ends weren't in the middle, I figured it's more stable, a wider pinch, whatever.

I was gonna use one of these-IMG_20181117_182642.jpg to add to the easter theme, It's an Easter egg holder for dipping in the dye, but it was too thick of a wire and that's pretty lame anyways lol. I wanna still use it to make like a cradle for caps that I want to print from, either by making a little stand, or hanging it on the inside rim of a jar to hold the cap off of the surface(foil/bottom of jar), possibly reducing 'tams, whaddya think 'topia?

Right after I made this I googled "DIY inoculating" loop and a bunch of teks came up and some were the EXACT same method and the excacto, but I chose twist-ties.

It's just barely stiff enough(she never said that) to scrape a speck of spores and rub it on the media, worked great.

Still planning to post about how I knocked up those agar dishes.

Edited by Billcoz, 17 November 2018 - 06:55 PM.

#60 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:07 PM

Repeated knowledge says spores on a sub is bad.  I've never really wrapped my head around that one, as I always pick mine sooner than later, but ... that's repeated knowledge, which may or may not be true.

How un-helpful is that?

Either way, after a good flush, I rinse the whole sub with the sink sprayer, dunk, drain, and go again. 

That said, I also have a hard time "calling a flush."  It's up to ya.  You can let those pins form and grow, or call it a flush and move on . . .

I've had subs with pins that I floated in the tub overnight with water, and they kept on truckin' after it drained.  It's a funny world. 

soliver

• Deleena24 and Billcoz like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!