I'm about to do an experiment, I was told in an email from reps from Zoo Med, a huge coco coir company, that their bricks of coir are sterile when packaged, so I don't really see how anything "beneficial", that's still alive in it when it's being hydrated/pasteurized.
So since I found a tiny green spot on the substrate in the one mini-bulk tub that I had soaked, I wanted to use the tub again, and I wanted to use some loose bagged coco coir that I have for my weed grow and I do not trust that microbes fron soil additives haven't gotten in, actually I know a little bit of powdered mycorhizae dust had fallen in when i was transplanting a clone(weed).
I mixed one quart of that, and one quart of verm and addedwater until it was field capacilty and put it in pint jars with PF style lids(4 holes, 4 jars), covered em with foil, and PCed them for an hour, remember, I didn't trust the coir, it had been stored open in a very micro-life rich climate, so I didn't trust that pasteurizing would be sufficient.
The next day(today) when opened, the coir/verm mix was still damp, but seemed dry, drier than the last batch was, but that was a lil wet, so I imagine it will be moist enough, also, every time I say a sub seems a little bit dry in a post on here, someone replies and sais dryish rather than wettish is better, and I very lightly misted the sub surface before putting the tin-foil cover on.
I used 2 grated up BRF cakes, colonized with B+, and mixed it with about 3.25 quarts of the coir/verm, 50/50 sub, and before I filled the 6 quart tub(lined with black plastic), I put a thin(1/4") layer of spawnless sub down, cuz last time, when I tossed the contammed sub and saw the bottom of the "cake", there were lots of small, dead, rotting mushrooms that didn't make it out.
I don't know why they grew underneath, it had the black plastic liner stuck to it, but there were a lot of em, I tried to save some, but they were gross, and I figure if there is an un-colonized layer of sub between the bottom surface of the substrate and the tub, maybe it wont pin underneath.
No pictures right now, my phone is not charged, but I think you all get the point, I'll get some pics and post results here in 10-14 days!
Edited by Billcoz, 27 November 2018 - 10:55 PM.