Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Grating cakes for bulk, 3 jars each of 2 different strains, will it work?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:03 PM

Thanks a lot Soliver, Ive read posts you made on here, I'd consider you an expert(compared to me at least) so it's an honor.

I'll take yer answer as a "go find out yerself",  but I do appreciate knowing how an experienced grower does it and I'l copy it, er at least try.

I'l pull the bigger ones and leave those tiny dick-looking things, I've hear others say that tiny pins recover and even swell during a soak, but  a lotta mine die and if I don't get em off they rot, it's gross.

I read something abou pinning the pin back in place if you get what they call "floaters", when they get knocked off in th water, I had one that lived but grew a mutant lol, it was just set back onwhere it fell and covered wth verm.

Thanks for the pro-tip, good to kinda meet you!

Edited by Billcoz, 17 November 2018 - 11:05 PM.

• Soliver likes this

#62 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:48 PM

Shit, I didn't realize that one of these tubs had a gap between the black plastic liner and the wall and there was a bunch of fruits growing in-vitro style, all ugly as fuck and a couple popped out, I was afraid to lift it all the way out to check but there might be more shrooms on the bottom of both tubs.

I carefully tried to lift it out carefully without breaking but a 2x2 inch chunk came off. I tossed it without really considering maybe it would re- attach and crefully tucked the plastic back onto the broken sub.

The sub in that tub has shank a lot more than the other one, it was the first on I opened for a few mins 3 days early and it's fruited a lot more with fat 3"wide, short 3 1/2 inches tall fruits, it's a bit lighter in wieght, I'll pick the last couple and dunk it today.

I'm just gonna fill the tub up to the 1/4" holes and weigh the sub down, then dump it later,

How long do 'yall recommend it stays submerged? THX

EDIT- PICS-IMG_20181118_140051.jpg IMG_20181118_140126.jpg IMG_20181118_140830.jpg -Ugly as fuck.

So, if I may ask one more question, and I appreciate the help by everyone so far, but should I pick it up and peel off the liner to see if there's more in-vitro fruits? I don't want em to rot.

Edited by Billcoz, 18 November 2018 - 03:57 PM.

#63 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,225 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:19 PM

Subs break - I generally just push the pieces back together - often you'll see great shrooms growing from the cracked space where it's all nice for them to grow  )

I dunk mine from 12 - 16 hours.  I've never had an "over dunk," so there's lots of wiggle room.  That said, I generally float mine, so they're not totally submerged and could, ostensibly, breathe (?) . ..

Keep on keepin' on,

:)

soliver

• Billcoz likes this

#64 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:46 PM

Thanks, i'll rinse it good, I'm bad about picking them on time and I wanted to let all the biggest ones reach max size, more to see it grow than anything, I got plenty dried.

These are the last from the original spore syringes and I got prints from all 4 "strains", I'm working on agar atm, so I got these genetics to fruit in the future, but I think I need to get some type of gourmet lc and fruit those rather than cubes for a while.

Right now I'm gonna practice up agar transfers and deciding if I wanna do grains right away, I have no rye or birdseed, but I got popcorn, I always heard colonization starts a lil bit slower with it but it's sorta contam resistant(?, I'm thinkin bout it.

• Soliver likes this

#65 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,225 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:21 PM

Popcorn is . . . well, it's easy to find and I use it quite frequently.  That said, I get better results from wild bird seed (WBS) than anything else, but cooking bird seed is more difficult to explain than corn.  Go figure.

I'd challenge anyone suggesting any one grain is more contam resistant than any other.  If your prep tek is solid, it's all the same.  All said, I prefer smaller grains than popcorn, but it's super easy to prep and doesn't draw attention, so ...

I've got some oysters from LC to WBS that are fruiting as we speak.  They're sorta fun, but without going super-bulk, it's just a hobby grow . . . a pound of oysters cooks down to a mouthful or two, and there's no mental perks otherwise, so it's hard to think - gram for gram - of why I'm doing oysters instead of cubes, but it is sorta fun, and provides a context for 'normal' hobby growing, I guess.

soliver

• Billcoz likes this

#66 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:28 AM

Ha, thanks, I'm considering p-corn because I have a bag on hand. I meant that I read there might be less endospores in p-corn to begin with, not that it's actually more resistant to contams, some say they sterilize it with steam, but IDK.

These "grated cake" tubs are the only bulk I've done yet & I can see just from this that it's a better way to do cubes, they're fatter but shorter(it's as if they can tell that they're growing in tiny tubs).

I really love seeing em grow I just don't need more, I'm already picking mushrooms and forgetting em around the house, I really have enough for probably a year or more lol, it's a great problem to have! 

I started micro-d'ing just to use some up actually, I have some in honey and I gave some away, I'm thinking lion's mane would be cool to grow, like a 5 gal bucket with holes, I like how they grow out.

I enjoy a good 5 gram trip, but just growing and seeing them is great too.

Thanks for the tips!

Edited by Billcoz, 19 November 2018 - 01:46 AM.

#67 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:26 AM

Eh, I post a lot of questions, just for my first grows to document I'l stop after that If anyone wants to answer another one, well since I have really let the 6 qt tubs go as far as harvesting before they drop spores, and spores are most certainly everywhere in the house(I've had visible spore stains on hands/clothes), I have to move all my FCs out of the room when I need to do clean SAB/inoculating work.

Is there any danger of contaming agar ect? Seems like spores could be on my tyvec sleeves or anything and get innto the SAB while doing work in there. Do alcohol or bleach kill cube spores or should I not worry?

I always spray a lotta lysol and bleach around AFTER I move the fcs into th other room(I keep em out till it doesn't smell like chemicals before I put em back) and spray the walls w/bleach, I wipe out the SAB w/ alcohol THEN bleach(I figure bleach kills more so it's a two-stage sanitizing), and use the top half of a tyvec suit with the goofy hood and sleeves that I lightly spray lysol on and put it in a freezer bag(I let it dry) to store, And that's my sterile cleaning regimen for mycology, lol.

I am gonna observe whether the pins(pictured) will recover after the soak, they look bruised and dark. I put h2o inthe tubs up to the top of the liner, which is suctioned to the sub "cake", I am gonna dump it off after an hour, take the sub out and fill the tub up to the 1/4" ge holes with fresh water, then I'l peel the black trash bag off th sub and put it back to soak for a couple more hours.

We'll see if the pins survive  and also if the spores have a detrimental effect.

I'm hoping this will getmore of the black spore mess off, it bothers me that it looks like shit. I wanna get bulk growing down, this is an okay first =try I guess.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181119_041327.jpg
  • IMG_20181119_041356.jpg
  • IMG_20181119_041523.jpg
  • IMG_20181119_041554.jpg

Edited by Billcoz, 19 November 2018 - 05:41 AM.

#68 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:38 PM

Yes, cutting off the shrooms is only necessary with huge clusters like I showed you. Had I just twisted and pulled that, there would've been a hole 6in wide and prob 4in deep.

I personally like to harvest everything including pins all at once, unless there is a shroom obviously maturing faster than the others, I'll pick it and let the rest grow.

I seem to get better pinsets when all pins and fruits are removed at the same time.

And if you think your substrate wont fall apart, go for the dunk. Only time I dont is if I feel it's not dense enough to survive.
  • Billcoz likes this

#69 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,225 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:23 PM

The reason I haven't moved to agar is because almost anything can / will contaminate it - the joy and pain of semi-sterile agar work ...

I tried a SAB years ago, but just can't stand the arm restriction - it seems like fun until you're doing it.  One of these days I'll make or buy a flow hood.

I'd be wary of spraying too much lysol around - that stuff is not good for you.  Bleach is comparatively benign and works just as well - I probably inhaled enough lysol in my first few years of growing to make my sperm crooked forever, and haven't noticed an uptick of contams since I stopped using it long ago.

That said, the smell of lysol brings pleasant memories, not just potential birth defects  :)

I'm never sure when "enough" is enough.  I took two quarters of shrooms with me on halloween and gave them to random couples who were in the spirit of the season.  The first couple stopped right there and called sick into work then disappeared with 8 grams of GTs and hopefully had a wonderful evening.

If I stopped doing shit like that, I could probably stop growing for years at a time, but being able to lay ten grams on a group of friends on their way off to a week long camping trip?  Priceless, right? 

That said, my friends have no idea.  I'm just a very generous guy who likes everyone to have fun and be connected, and I stock up when I go to shows (I don't stock up when I go to shows). 

Random acts of kindness, I guess.  That's why I grow more than I need - never sell, give give give.

soliver

#70 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,225 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:26 PM

I probably inhaled enough lysol in my first few years of growing to make my sperm crooked forever, and haven't noticed an uptick of contams since I stopped using it long ago.

For clarification, by "it" I mean bleach, not sperm, and by "contams," I mean the ones in the felony closet, not my sperm.

Anyone who knows me well enough could easily be confused by all that.  My bad.

soliver

• Billcoz likes this

#71 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:21 AM

Soliver,

I have read about "rosecomb" being caused by lysol on either spores or myc(can't remember which), a chem in it causes the genetic mutations in mushrooms somehow.

I'm sure I've had this problem, they get inside-out caps with gills that grow on top, there's some pics of some in my other thread (Billcoz's grow log).

Deleena24,

ha, I did get all the way through dunking and draining without cracking, the as I was trying to ease the last one in, iy broke in half lol. I snugged the halfs back up and pached the crack with verm, there were lots of pinns all over the bottom even though the black liner was shrunk wrapped to it from suction, IDK if light still penetrated or if surface sub conditions just weren't as favorable as the bottom/sides.

Edited by Billcoz, 20 November 2018 - 12:31 AM.

#72 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:28 PM

I have broken subs and cakes in half a few times. If the mycelium is healthy it usually fused back together, and lots of pins usually popped up right along the break.

#73 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:45 PM

I have broken subs and cakes in half a few times. If the mycelium is healthy it usually fused back together, and lots of pins usually popped up right along the break.

It was only cracked, it held together by a small piece, I patched the crack with verm, but a day later is when I noticed a white patch that wasn't there before, then like 12 hrs later is when I noticed the white part turning green, that's why I tossed it, I got another mini tub project to start today though.

#74 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:46 PM

I'm about to do an experiment, I was told in an email from reps from Zoo Med, a huge coco coir company, that their bricks of coir are sterile when packaged, so I don't really see how anything "beneficial", that's still alive in it when it's being hydrated/pasteurized.

So since I found a tiny green spot on the substrate in the one mini-bulk tub that I had soaked, I wanted to use the tub again, and I wanted to use some loose bagged coco coir that I have for my weed grow and I do not trust that microbes fron soil additives haven't gotten in, actually I know a little bit of powdered mycorhizae dust had fallen in when i was transplanting a clone(weed).

I mixed one quart of that, and one quart of verm and addedwater until it was field capacilty and put it in pint jars with PF style lids(4 holes, 4 jars), covered em with foil, and PCed them for an hour, remember, I didn't trust the coir, it had been stored open in a very micro-life rich climate, so I didn't trust that pasteurizing would be sufficient.

The next day(today) when opened, the coir/verm mix was still damp, but seemed dry, drier than the last batch was, but that was a lil wet, so I imagine it will be moist enough, also, every time I say a sub seems a little bit dry in a post on here, someone replies and sais dryish rather than wettish is better, and I very lightly misted the sub surface before putting the tin-foil cover on.

I used 2 grated up BRF cakes, colonized with B+, and mixed it with about 3.25 quarts of the coir/verm, 50/50 sub, and before I filled the 6 quart tub(lined with black plastic), I put a thin(1/4") layer of spawnless sub down, cuz last time, when I tossed the contammed sub and saw the bottom of the "cake", there were lots of small, dead, rotting mushrooms that didn't make it out.

I don't know why they grew underneath, it had the black plastic liner stuck to it, but there were a lot of em, I tried to save some, but they were gross, and I figure if there is an un-colonized layer of sub between the bottom surface of the substrate and the tub, maybe it wont pin underneath.

No pictures right now, my phone is not charged, but I think you all get the point, I'll get some pics and post results here in 10-14 days!

Edited by Billcoz, 27 November 2018 - 10:55 PM.

#75 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:04 PM

The bottom will colonize no matter what you do, and you want it to. Fruiting usually wont start until the whole sub is finished.

Those ugly mushrooms on the bottom are perfect for tea, unless they are truly rotten.

They grow there bc the conditions are suitable. Happens to all of us sometimes, despite our best efforts.

Everything sounds great. I dont pastuerize either. It's either PCed or microwaved for me, and I'm a pretty decent grower.
  • Billcoz likes this

#76 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:53 PM

The bottom will colonize no matter what you do, and you want it to. Fruiting usually wont start until the whole sub is finished.

Those ugly mushrooms on the bottom are perfect for tea, unless they are truly rotten.

They grow there bc the conditions are suitable. Happens to all of us sometimes, despite our best efforts.

Everything sounds great. I dont pastuerize either. It's either PCed or microwaved for me, and I'm a pretty decent grower.

They were rotten, black & mushy. I thought lining it with black plastic would keep it from pinning underneath, at least some what.

They never made it to the edge to creep out, and there were a LOT of em, more than what pinned on the surface, maybe too dry? It seemed wet when I first opened it up, and condensation stays on the walls with drier rings around the holes.

That one hadn't fruited as much as the other tub did either, but I got my new one going so it's no loss, also got some popcorn to noc up tonight with a colonized agar dis(B+), and like i said before, I got plenty enough dried shrooms to keep myself happy, probably for a whole year.

• Soliver likes this

#77 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,225 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:15 PM

"UnderShrooms" happen all the time - between flushes I often flip mine, sometimes getting a nice bumper crop from the bottom side . . .

soliver

• Deleena24 and Billcoz like this

#78 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:05 PM

"UnderShrooms" happen all the time - between flushes I often flip mine, sometimes getting a nice bumper crop from the bottom side . . .

soliver

Really? Awesome, cuz ijust picked the last one's from the other tub, now I'm thinking it might have a bunch, I haven't re-hydrated it at all and it's produced more than I thought it would from only 2 1/2 cakes in each tub, maybe it will have as many pins underneath as the other tub, hopefully they're not all rotten.

Would you flip it and re-hydrate it at this point? There's a couple tiny pins on top that look like they aborts, I'm gonna pick em off, so would you re- hydrate AND flip it, or one or the other?

Edited by Billcoz, 28 November 2018 - 06:05 PM.

#79 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:48 PM

I usually keep the smoothest side down...and I rehydrate between each flush as well.

If bottom fruited more than the top, flip it. You can even put it on its side, exposing the most surface area, and putting the worst performing side on the bottom.

Edited by Deleena24, 28 November 2018 - 08:49 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#80 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:17 AM

I usually keep the smoothest side down...and I rehydrate between each flush as well.

If bottom fruited more than the top, flip it. You can even put it on its side, exposing the most surface area, and putting the worst performing side on the bottom.

I guess it makes sense, I flipped some cakes to see if they'd change directions and start growing upright and they even got bigger than the ones that I didn'tflip, they all had started from the bottom and looked the same at first, the flipped ones looked better.

• Deleena24 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!