33 replies to this topic

#1 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 771 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:04 AM

I'm currently reading more deeply into Advaita Vedanta. I think I'll post things here I find interesting. 

#2 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 771 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:12 AM

Gaudapada is thought to be Sankara's teacher's teacher, I think. Sometime around the 7th century I guess. 

Here's some things I liked from what I read of his "Karikas on the Mandukya Upanishad."

"There is no dissolution and no creation, no one in bondage and no one who is striving for or who is desirous of liberation, and there is no one who is liberated. This is the absolute truth." 

and 

"When the mind does not disappear nor again is dispersed when it is motionless and without sense-images, then it becomes Brahman."

Edited by Guy1298, 25 October 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#3 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 771 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:32 PM

I suspect this thread will fall into dis-use. Turns out I'm less compelled to quote Shankara quoting the Upanishads. It becomes very Hindu very quickly.

The first Buddhist monk I came across in my life told me that the we are all one stuff is bullshit. But, then I learned about not-self. So for years insight into not-self of early Buddhism was seen as a means to nirvana, but without knowing what the result of seeing not-self is. The Buddha never indicated that we're all one in the Pali Canon. Seems the idea of the impossibility of happiness is a means to discredit happiness here and now. 

Strangely, I know that we're like children inside. And a child would seek an innocent happiness. What surprises me is that... yes, we do want to be unhappy. Too afraid. But, the issues are around the question, who wouldn't want it when the force of society and its masses is exactly that?

Edited by Guy1298, 03 November 2018 - 12:34 PM.

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,933 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:53 PM

The child, before conditioning into identity; what does he/she seek?  

#5 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 771 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:36 AM

What does he/she seek? 

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,933 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:15 AM

Does the child, before conditioning, seek identity, or is it just in the sched for all of us?   I would say it's just in the plan for the human expression, on this planet, at this time.   Did not one day, Siddhartha Gautama just think, "WTF?"  Like; "enough of this shit?"    Until it's clear, I am NOT that, we live in the dream of being something.  When the something is seen to be nothing, to all the would-be somethings born of conditioning, everything still looks just like a something.   As nothing, it just doesn't compute.   Nothing in body/mind identity can make a space for space.   It is as it is by way of its limitations.   As something, it will suffer by way of changing parameters.   Somethings, with opinions; theirs is a sorry lot.    

For the child before conditioning, before being something, everything and nothing is t/here, so what's to seek?

Edited by Alder Logs, 04 November 2018 - 10:18 AM.

• Guy1298 likes this

#7 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 771 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:15 PM

Yeah, the simplicity of not being, happiness thereof. But I wouldn't tell that to myself. :). Or to anyone else. 

Edited by Guy1298, 05 November 2018 - 03:29 PM.

#8 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,933 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:05 AM

Yeah, the simplicity of not being, happiness thereof. But I wouldn't tell that to myself. :). Or to anyone else. 

Yeah, it's not exactly the coin of the realm.

#9 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 771 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:02 AM

I've said this a few times, that it is so obvious that we're totally fucked should be a clue that we aren't this. Who would submit to being totally fucked? I wouldn't. 

But, I suppose that manifests in various ways. There are people focusing on heaven and all of that. I guess that tries to solve the problem of being totally fucked. 

As for me, it's unsolvable. If I identified with this, I would yell and scream with fear at death. It's nuts to identify with something that dies. I'd rather not be the yeller and the screamer with fear at death. And, I suppose that's the fun of it. If I might come to realize that I'm not... then would I have ever been? It only ever seemed to be the case. 

So, I will yell and scream with fear at death. That's cool because it's not me. What can I do for other people? This is nihilism, is it? I'd say it was, if only it didn't have the feeling of salvation. 

Edited by Guy1298, 07 November 2018 - 01:16 AM.

#10 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 771 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:18 AM

I sometimes wonder about me. Have I tripped too much or some other thing? Haha. 

Edited by Guy1298, 07 November 2018 - 01:18 AM.

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,933 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:36 PM

Am I any of the things I ever have thought I was?  Am I this body?   The questions are a key, even while the answers seem to change.

• Guy1298 likes this

#12 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 771 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:30 AM

I often notice that when I find myself in the strange bliss it usually begins around bodily pain. I'll be considering bodily pain. I'll consider that I'm not the body, then as I'm considering it, very quickly it feels inevitable that I must bear it. I either stop there, where I usually end up doing yoga or something to relieve it temporarily or I take a further step. The step further is to recognize the super-imposition of someone that must bear it. Upon recognizing it, I am not it. I'm upholding the illusion of someone bearing pain... and eventually death. Usually, that gives in to a strange bliss. 

It might just be time for round three of Self-Enquiry. 

Of course, I can't get anything. Thank you. 

Edited by Guy1298, 11 November 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#13 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,933 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2018 - 04:22 PM

For my experience, when it became totally evident that I am not this body, the overall experience seemed to include that the sensations in the body were not me as well.    The seen body still has all its body things, including some serious pains.   The hurts hurt, but in it not being taken personally, the quality of the experience is not the same as it once was.   The witnessing sees the body/mind go for its relief, as it must.  I mean, what's a body to do?   

#14 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 771 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:15 PM

I haven't really gotten to the place you describe (though they say I'm already there). There were times when I knew that pain didn't apply to me and even time. But, I suspect I identify with the mind more quickly than I notice. 

Yesterday I found myself very high as I came to realize again that I don't exist in time. That seems like a less subtle realization than what you experience. For me, realizing I don't exist in time is a part of giving up the mind-made story. It produces happiness because it points to identity with something eternal. Basically, it communicates that I'm strong enough to bear heaven and hell, forever untouched. Bare experience disagrees with conceptually-imposed reality. The disagreement is so obvious and so complete, that one might know that pain isn't real and feel relief in correspondence to that even while seemingly in pain.  

What you describe as the witnessing seems more like what I've noticed in lows while doing Self-Enquiry. I'll be feeling like complete shit, then eventually I step back, or realize that I'm seeing the person that feels like complete shit and taking him to be me. But, for me, the person I'm seeing feeling like complete shit very quickly becomes the person feeling happiness, freedom, and bliss wherein I identify again with it, or appear to.

Edited by Guy1298, 12 November 2018 - 12:23 PM.

#15 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 771 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:21 PM

I'm going to start doing Self-Enquiry as continually as possible. Maybe after tomorrow... but probably today. I have an interview tomorrow and don't want to be strung out in bliss and strange insights for it. 

Edited by Guy1298, 12 November 2018 - 12:21 PM.

#16 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,933 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:39 PM

"The person who begins the inquiry will not end the inquiry, but will be ended by the inquiry."

~Mooji

#17 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 771 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:46 PM

Funny little interview. Coming away from seeing the professional world, I am stricken by the fact that people are brainwashed in it. A job and company becomes their religion. I don't think I'll get the job. I show them hints of my total carelessness... I can't imagine they'll hire me seeing that. 

Suppose it's time to double up my efforts to "be ended by the inquiry." Haha. 

It does seem like I'll end up in some ordained life. I remember a guy mentioning living in meditation huts in Thailand as a theravada monk. Sounds really attractive, especially knowing what I know now. Meditation is one thing, but completely dropping one's mind... bliss. Well, this is aside from the fact that I am not my body or mind. I just want a calm place where I can forget the world. And I know where to find it. I'm about as suicidal as someone can be without being suicidal...

I think this storied reality can accommodate that. It's essentially imaginary. Let it happen... 

Edited by Guy1298, 13 November 2018 - 01:50 PM.

#18 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,933 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2018 - 02:04 PM

There would have to be a dropper, yes?   Doh! 

I remember thinking of some "place" for a "me" to be.  Doh!

It's just like Hedderman says.  The world of now will bring you all your assignments.   The action figure will or will not rise to any occasion.   The non-doer will, as nothing, miss nothing.   The doing will seemingly happen in the seeming happening.   The traveling can be so light as to not carry any weight of that old idea of the doer.    There would be a 'yippee' if there were a someone to say it.    As Mooji might say, that would just be one of the perfumes of True Self.  

Edited by Alder Logs, 13 November 2018 - 02:06 PM.

• Guy1298 likes this

#19 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 771 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2018 - 02:39 PM

I think the last couple days of Self-Enquiry have been having an effect. Flying high a bit. That might explain how smiley the interviewers were. Things are halfway automatic. I had little to no resistance in the interview, basically no fear. Well, oh well. Haha. It's what I was looking for. 

That's how it's been though. Earlier this summer, I remember everyone being transformed around me. The change in me changes everyone around me. Goofy stuff. 

I trust Ramana in this. I'd imagine he'd suggest to rest in the silence no matter what. That's what he's noted to have said at least. 

Edited by Guy1298, 13 November 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#20 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 771 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2018 - 02:47 AM

:biggrin: . Forget all of that. 

Edited by Guy1298, 17 November 2018 - 03:50 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!