#1 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 934 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:07 AM

SO!!

This weekend I attended a masquerade music festival with a buddy of mine who recently moved back to the area (kinda)... He had been on the opposite side of the country for so long that 3 hours away seems like next door... Shortly after he pulled up and got situated in the camper, we started talking about where I was living these days and how I was back at my house in the cut... 

One of the first things he says to me after finding out I was back at my place was that we needed to build an aquaponic setup... For those of you who are not already familiar, aquaponics is a system where you farm fish and use the waste and nutrient rich water produced by the fish to feed the plants while using the plants to filter the water for the fish... Symbiotic to the fullest!

Symbiotic happens to be one of my favorite words, just ask the girl I recently stopped hanging out with... (She didn't have a good grasp on the meaning of a symbiotic relationship)

I have wanted to do this for a while and now have someone equally as excited about it as I am... I will keep you posted as to our progress... There are still some kinks to werkout and nothing will likely happen before spring but my interest is certainly repeaked...

• onediadem and OldBear like this

#2 GLP

GLP

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 141 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:03 AM

Congratulations PJammer24, not sure how large of a system are you talking about. Residential areas especially in colder climates consider a system that can be movable into garage during winter months or into greenhouse. The fish selection also takes some consideration as to the climate. Attached is a barrelponics system that fits well into residential areas. Working systems based on this model are currently running in the Chicago area. The fish used were for teaching, so edible species were not used. Suitable substitutions would be white perch, yellow perch, crappie and bluegill. Keep us updated on your project.

GLP  :tinfoil:

Attached Files

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 934 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:28 AM

Congratulations PJammer24, not sure how large of a system are you talking about. Residential areas especially in colder climates consider a system that can be movable into garage during winter months or into greenhouse. The fish selection also takes some consideration as to the climate. Attached is a barrelponics system that fits well into residential areas. Working systems based on this model are currently running in the Chicago area. The fish used were for teaching, so edible species were not used. Suitable substitutions would be white perch, yellow perch, crappie and bluegill. Keep us updated on your project.

GLP  :tinfoil:

Perch is what we were initially considering.... I am less certain that it is going to happen now than I was when I posted that unfortunately... I have know the guy with the experience for years but my Dad, who lives down the street, can't stand him... I think I may nix the project rather than cause friction with the old man.

I am out in the country... space is not a real concern.., I have concidered doing this for a while so it may still happen but it is not as likely as it was before Pops and my buddy started butting heads.

#4 GLP

GLP

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 141 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:07 PM

Sorry to hear that, but if my Dad had the same opinion I would side with him also. Just let us know if and when you proceed, we will be there to help.

Regards

GLP   :tinfoil:

#5 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:01 PM

Hate to say it but parents are usually correct in saying that a friend is bad news...
not mine... But most of my friends parents told me Straight up about some kids that I hung w that were no good.

If you're really interested in doing aquaponics start small. There are a few good mini herb kit(I know, I know! Non kits - but they're great for the super beginner who isn't quite sure yet, an you can always resell it on eBay) setups that you can grab (Craigslist freecycle dot org) and start a tomato plant. It's similar to the herbus superbious. ;)

I grab buckets and carpet cleaners and things like that from food places or the garbage for usable free materials

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 934 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:08 PM

I have known the guy for two decades... He isn't bad news... My dad is just really conservative and proper. The area where I grew up is like that and my buddy is a little two pushy for him.

My Dad doesn't like most of my friends... lol

#7 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 399 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:31 PM

HUMMM I will look for it someone recently posted some great vids on a guy in western nebr that heats his  green house his home and producess for eklectricity than he can use with a solar , wind a

uquaponics  combo all done super thrifty

• PJammer24 and GLP like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!