• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Pensshadow

Pensshadow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:29 PM

I'm very excited to be a member! I can't wait to get on my probationary.

Attached Thumbnails

• smiley2.png

• wharfrat likes this

#2 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:06 PM

Hi Pensshadow, another newbie here! What brings you here, I have come down to brush up on my techniques and hopefully met some good people and learn something along the way. Anyway all the best and look forward to seeing on the boards!

• Pensshadow likes this

#3 Pensshadow

Pensshadow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:40 PM

Hey there PistolPIPete13! I'm just getting into some indoor growing. Looking to learn some tips and some education. I used to do some back in my old days. Mostly poppies :)

#4 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:23 AM

Nice! Did you ever get past the OPM stage? I have never grown poppies, I ordered some through Izmir farms years and years ago but never got around to planting them... I used to grow shrooms, but I am just getting back into it now (a little more seriously this time).

#5 Pensshadow

Pensshadow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:58 AM

I used to do some marijuana growing when I was in my twenties. I haven't tried poppies yet. So I'm just starting a 4 x 4 grow tent with a thousand watt LED. I've seen some people grow the in here. I found some good seeds hopefully and I'll see what the turnaround is. I would really like to find someone on here with some great heirloom seeds! Mushroom growing huh? I've never attempted to do so! I had some friends that used to do it. I just know that everything had to be sterile. That's cool though! Maybe you can show me some tips on how to grow! I do enjoy morels too!

#6 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:48 PM

As I said I have never grown them, but can tell you years ago Izmir who are still around came highly recommended by people that were growing. I just checked and they have some nice landrace strains dont know if heirloom though, from Burma, Afghan and India. I also do not know if they are still the best of the best though sorry. Also they sell Tasmanian, but the commercial strains have different types (Thebaine ect) and the gm morphine poppies only show those crazy high figures and uniformity for one generation then its back to average potency and wild variance. If you could get F1 tasmanians I would snap them up, but even the farmers have to get new F1 seed stock every year to keep the yields and potency up otherwise yields drop off dramatically in F2.

Morels are my favorite mushroom by far, I would even pick them over white truffles!!

#7 Pensshadow

Pensshadow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:19 AM

Wow, you really know your stuff about strains and everything! I Googled a lot of it last night. I took your advice and put an order in with Izmir last night. People seem to think that they're pretty pricey. But like what you get in the end! LOL! I used to live in Indiana many years ago, and we used to always go out and get morel mushrooms. We had blond ones, and gray ones. And they only sprung up for about 3 weeks. Are you in the US? I'm going to go ahead and get a VIP membership. And that way we can message each other back and forth. Also you can trade and buy in one of the rooms.

#8 JustinAskin

JustinAskin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:30 PM

I'm very excited to be a member! I can't wait to get on my probationary.

I am new as well... I have experience growing cannabis but this is a whole new adventure I am looking as starting. 

Look like their is allot of information to take in.

Waiting on my grow kit to arrive and get the process started. This is post two and cant wait for my probationary period to be over as well!!!

:tongue:

#9 Pensshadow

Pensshadow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:35 PM

Welcome JustinAskin. There is a lot to take in.You said (kit). Are you going to grow shrooms? There's alot of knowledge here and I love how everyone shares.

#10 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:54 PM

Wow, you really know your stuff about strains and everything! I Googled a lot of it last night. I took your advice and put an order in with Izmir last night. People seem to think that they're pretty pricey. But like what you get in the end! LOL! I used to live in Indiana many years ago, and we used to always go out and get morel mushrooms. We had blond ones, and gray ones. And they only sprung up for about 3 weeks. Are you in the US? I'm going to go ahead and get a VIP membership. And that way we can message each other back and forth. Also you can trade and buy in one of the rooms.

Exactly, start off with solid genetics! Then you can select the best quality latex producers to keep seed from, and retain high quality seed stock without having to buy anymore. Also good landrace strains like those above generally do really well when crossed with each other to make a new hybrid from two of your best looking plants from your favorite strains. So if in the future you want to play around with that, you are also go to go!

You were lucky to be able to forage wild morels! I am in Australia and It's very dry where here so there are hardly any mushrooms at all, my choices are pretty much supermarket or grow them.....There is an Australian morel that is delicious that can be found sometimes, it's a couple of hours drive to get there and they can be quite elusive so no guarantee of even finding one!

My whole aim of joining this site was to learn from others, share what I know with others and hopefully meet some good people along the way. So don't ever hesitate to drop me message!

Have heard good things about the VIP room! Apparently they trade spores also, I wonder if they let Australians in ? :eek: 

@JustinAskin don't tell me you ordered a shroom grow kit? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

#11 JustinAskin

JustinAskin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:26 PM

Welcome JustinAskin. There is a lot to take in.You said (kit). Are you going to grow shrooms? There's alot of knowledge here and I love how everyone shares.

I have a grow kit coming. It dose not include spores i will need to research and purchase those first. I am taking a look at growing mushroom but for the purpose of spiritual growth and personal development.

I hear the plant can really expand your mind and I am looking for something in that direction.

Yes i purchased a kit from Mid West Grow Kits. Just waiting for it to arrive.

#12 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:08 PM

Midwest....ouch. There kits are considered a bit of a rip off, in fact most kits are a bit of a rip off. But thats alright depending on which kit you bought it should definitely get you through a few grows before you want to upgrade. You probably did not have anything to start with and just wanted a quick easy start, so I guess its good for that. I have read about some people having to tweak a few things to get midwest kits growing properly on forums, but I am sure you will be fine there are plenty of good growers here that can give you advice! Some people will probably tell you to scrap it and turn it into a better style fruiting chamber, my advice would be to run it at least once and see if your happy with it. If you see other grows doing better and your still interested then turn it into something else and compare(my 2 cents!). So which kit did you end up going with?

#13 JustinAskin

JustinAskin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:18 AM

Midwest....ouch. There kits are considered a bit of a rip off, in fact most kits are a bit of a rip off. But thats alright depending on which kit you bought it should definitely get you through a few grows before you want to upgrade. You probably did not have anything to start with and just wanted a quick easy start, so I guess its good for that. I have read about some people having to tweak a few things to get midwest kits growing properly on forums, but I am sure you will be fine there are plenty of good growers here that can give you advice! Some people will probably tell you to scrap it and turn it into a better style fruiting chamber, my advice would be to run it at least once and see if your happy with it. If you see other grows doing better and your still interested then turn it into something else and compare(my 2 cents!). So which kit did you end up going with?

Thank for the reply bro!

Yes I usually don't go the "KIT" route ,but I am a little busier than normal and just wanted to get this started. LOL.... with the type of person I am, it would take me 2 months to research the materials and set up. I just figured for $55.00 I can see how it goes and everything is set up, all I need to do is inoculate the jars and go from their.

From what I can see, I will have to modify the fruiting chamber to allow for more free air exchange. Other than that do you have any suggestions??

I ended up getting the "Simple Mushroom Grow Kit" and I should be arriving on the Nov 14th.

I have not had time to research strains much adn places to purchase them. I am thinking i will have to use an online vendor (Any recommendations, would prefer to pay with cash and use a Canadian vendor) as the only store in mu city has only one strain and its $55.00 a syringe!!!!

I am going to take your advice and with the exception of possibly needing to drill more holes in the fruiting chamber. I was going to use it "As-Is" for the first couple grows, get some experience, see it this is a plant I resonate with and go from their!

#14 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:58 PM

Yeah for $55 bucks considering it gets you 95% of what you need with no hassle, its really not that bad! Before you drill or change anything, when it gets to you I would dust off your phone camera(or any camera) and start a grow log. There are so many people on here with good experience (probably with that very kit!) they will guide you through everything. The problem with kits is someone may be in Florida with above average humidity and very warm weather and the kit needs some serious FAE built in to reduce the humidity down, but you may be in NY in winter with 0% humidity and may need a little more humidity so less FAE just making sure to manually fan if needed. You get a hygrometer with your kit so you can easily tailor it to your situation so you sit on around 75% humidity. You could tweak it while you wait for your spores to germinate.

"I was going to use it "As-Is" for the first couple grows, get some experience, see it this is a plant I resonate with and go from their!"

Yup thats what I would do! Like I said start running it and if the humidity does become a problem and needs to be addressed, then pull out the drill.

Have you decided on which type you think you will go with? To me there is difference in the experiance, there are how do I say it? more gentle strains, and then there are the more intense strains. With both types there are recreational doses, which you can still function but get slight visuals and uncontrolled laughter ect great for concerts and the like. Then medium doses, which are a bit more full on. Much more visual, much more spiritual sometimes much more scary! Then high doses you will find even the people that take shrooms a lot only take these like once a year if that!!! These are intense (sometimes life changing)experiences, full blown visuals probably auditory hallucinations. You are not going to a party because you are not going anywhere! If you do have a bad trip on high doses, it can be intense! If you have never done them I personally would start low first, get a feel for it. With LSD or any hallucinogen I always try to keep an eye on the clock when I am taking them, and always know how long the drug lasts and its also good to know when the peak usually ends which is usually well before the drug has worn off completely. And if shit gets bad on high doses always look at the clock (c'mon 3 hours and its over you can do it! it helps me a lot). Except when you look at the clock and just see shapes. A quote that has helped me with psychedelics is this I read on a BBS board years and years ago, a guy was giving advice on how to navigate a LSD trip and said something along the lines of:

"Dont try and hold onto the good times,

Dont try and push the bad times away,

Just open up relax and accept it, just roll with it(enjoy the ride)."

That attitude reduced the amount of bad trips I had on high doses, and increased the amount spiritual ones I experienced quite a bit. I think purely because I went into them more relaxed more willing to accept my fate! If I was seeing something I did not like, maybe I needed to see it? Which seemed to reduce my anxiety when occasionally it did get a bit uncomfortable or frightening on very high doses. Also uncomfortable and frightening are vast understatements for what you can feel on very high doses if shit goes south (bad trip), tread carefully brother! But if you respect them start low and slowly work up, I can nearly guarantee it will resonate with you!!!

• JustinAskin likes this

#15 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 345 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

welcome

#16 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:49 PM

Hi bezevo! Sorry to hijack Pens thread but I saw your sig and I was thinking about becoming VIP, but I am in Australia. From your experience would i still find people who would trade overseas ect. I still might just to support the site, but is it mainly a US thing?

#17 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:00 PM

I wrote this above, but I cant edit my posts.

"The problem with kits is someone may be in Florida with above average humidity and very warm weather and the kit needs some serious FAE built in to reduce the humidity down, but you may be in NY in winter with 0% humidity and may need a little more humidity so less FAE just making sure to manually fan if needed."

I wrote FAE but I meant air holes! Should have read like this;

The problem with kits is someone may be in Florida with above average humidity and very warm weather and the kit needs a lot of air holes to reduce the humidity down, but you may be in NY in winter with 0% humidity and may need a little more humidity so you need less air holes just making sure to manually fan if needed.

• JustinAskin likes this

#18 Pensshadow

Pensshadow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:33 AM

PistoPlPete13, that is a good way to explain mushroom trips! I couldn't have said it better myself! I used to know a guy in Orland Park right outside of Chicago and he used to grow in 5 gallon buckets in his basement. That was 25 years ago. But they were very subtle and never had any bad issues with them. So you're across the pond huh? I don't think you'll have a problem with Trading. It's not like you live in Russia! LOL! I finally got my thousand watt LED, as well as my seeds. I'm waiting for my tent which should be arriving on Monday. I am so damn excited about all this!

#19 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:30 PM

Are you planning on using hydro in your tent?

#20 Pensshadow

Pensshadow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:34 PM

I thought about it, but no. There is a thread on someone that did it here in our forum. I got some soil, perlite, and sand the other day. I'm going to make my own mix for good drainage. What would think is a good ratio for the mix?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!