27 replies to this topic

#21 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 262 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:12 PM

Yeah I've read about H2O2 plates working well.

Important note: H2O2 kills or prevents spore growth. That's why it may be used as a growth medium additive. It is an antiinfective agent for fungal spores. Thus it may reduce unwanted mold or other fungal growth on plates, grain or sub. Its use is a bit debatable but that's the theory. I have played with it a bit on agar, grain and substrate and did not really come to a conclusion as to how to use it effectively.

• DON'T use H2O2 on your initial spore culture - for obvious reasons.
  • It may be good for agar transfers, grain and substrate, if applied in the 'therapeutic range'.
  • It may slow initial growth of mycelium as the myc adapts to the H2O2 with mycelial peroxidase.
  • Grains and many plant substrates contain peroxidase and reportedly loose such activity with high temp pasteurization thus use effectively on pasteurized substrate (as you would anyway, presumably).
  • H2O2 decomposes at high temps and is presumably stable at and below 50C. Thus allow your agar and sub to cool to this temp range before adding H2O2. I use a cheap IR thermometry device (Horrible Freight) to monitor my agar and apply as it hits 50C.
  • I did find that my cleanest LC came from myc that I had 'cleaned' by applying a peroxidated agar sandwich layer to myc on agar then waiting for it to 'grow though' the peroxidated layer, then 'shaving' it off and applying to my LC, which also had a bit of H2O2.  But this success could have been coincidence.

I encourage your experimenting but I would recommend first getting some standard agar work under your belt before adding other stuff. H2O2 is sort of an advanced technique and it would be best to know what to expect from standard agar techniques before going there.

I have, BTW, also added antibiotics like gentamycin but it's hard to say if it makes a difference. There is certainly something to be said for limiting your antiinfective agents in order to see what your contaminants are. OTOH, when you cannot assess contaminants, such as with an LC, perhaps that is when you want to experiment.

I love LC although I've had more failures (contam) than awesome batches. When it is potent, it's like rocket fuel for your grain. You can get 100 primary jars from one LC. OTOH, in my limited experience, you don't know what you have until you have success or failure. At least with agar wedges and / or a agar wedge blenderized 'emulsion' or GLC (grain liquid culture) you can mostly 'see' what you are starting with.

Edited by raymycoto, 13 November 2018 - 11:21 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#22 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 262 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:10 PM

@onediadem mentioned that he has been loving saran for his plates for some time and that they store for quite a while. 

Just wanted to follow up and say that at about one month out, my plates I poured and covered with saran are looking perfect. 

Zero contam on all and they have been stored at room temp. 

20181202_170643.jpg

Saran is gas occlusive so no problem with drying out the plates and no headaches and expenses dealing with parafilm.

AND . . . you get twice the plates from your petri dishes (use the TOP and BOTTOM dish).

I'm totally converted now to using the saran tech.

title=":biggrin:" />

Edited by raymycoto, 02 December 2018 - 07:13 PM.

#23 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,247 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:45 AM

@onediadem mentioned that he has been loving saran for his plates for some time and that they store for quite a while. 

Off topic but.......

Onediadem is a pretty sweet lady - and for sure knows her mycology. 

LOL!!

• coorsmikey likes this

#24 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:19 PM

Lol, Onediadem is a girl(I think), she looks hot as hell in her profile pic(well I guess she could be some big ugly dude pretending lol).

Edited by Billcoz, 03 December 2018 - 03:20 PM.

#25 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,436 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:56 PM

Lol, Onediadem is a girl(I think), she looks hot as hell in her profile pic(well I guess she could be some big ugly dude pretending lol).

Lol Excluding OneDiadem ( I think she’s genuine) You would be surprised on how many members that we have and are happy to have the other pronoun assigned to them.

#26 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:22 PM

Lol Excluding OneDiadem ( I think she’s genuine) You would be surprised on how many members that we have and are happy to have the other pronoun assigned to them.

I never specify my sex when making my profile on these forums. Refer to me as whatever you want, maybe, "asshole".

#27 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,436 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:37 PM

Yeah I respond well to that one as well. What the heck we all have one.
  • Billcoz likes this

#28 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:50 PM

Well, regardless, Onediadem is pretty hot in the pic, whatever gender pronoun "@$#%" would prefer..

Edited by Billcoz, 03 December 2018 - 06:52 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!