7 replies to this topic

#1 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:45 PM

I have had a couple IQ Air purifiers for my work area that I got years ago. I gave one to my mom and I am having troubles negotiating to get it back... To be honest, she simply mentioned in passing that she liked having it at the house and I can't bring myself to take it back from her... What I am I supposed to do? This is Mummy we are talking about! So I have a second unit that looks a little worse for wear... The exterior plastic has yellowed as it aged, it is missing one of the bottom legs so I have to prop it up on a couple stacked 2" x 4" boards... For the most part it is fully functional but looking at the the old boy, it might be time to look into replacing him...

Does anyone have suggestions as to good room air purifiers with HEPA grade filters? I am ready to just by a used IQ Air unit but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions that might steer me in a different direction. I have to get something running in the house that I can have confidence in. I know there are spores floating around in the basement and it needs to be remedied... I can run the old one and a newer one down there are solve the issue awfully quick... 

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted!!

#2 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 344 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:18 AM

i bought a cpl  ozone generators to kill mold spores ect in my basement

#3 rhizobove

rhizobove

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:18 PM

Check out a germ guardian 3in1 if ur space is small it’s good to run .. I have a similar model couldn’t find the exact one but i got it at costco !! I always run it for an hour in my space before i do anything “invasive” i love that it has the UV light as well !!!!

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2018 - 02:25 PM

Check out a germ guardian 3in1 if ur space is small it’s good to run .. I have a similar model couldn’t find the exact one but i got it at costco !! I always run it for an hour in my space before i do anything “invasive” i love that it has the UV light as well !!!!

That's what my mom suggested... Same model and everything...

The ones Dad threw away could do up to 1200 square feet... I will probably end up getting a couple of the germ guardian models or their model that's a size up.

• rhizobove likes this

#5 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,389 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:59 PM

I really like the HPA300 Honeywell for big rooms.

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2018 - 07:45 PM

I really like the HPA300 Honeywell for big rooms.

This unit does a room size of 465 sq ft.... Gah.... This just makes me angrier at Pops.... When you aren't around for over a year you can't get to upset when some of the stuff you are storing for free gets tossed... The old man did some serious cleaning over the passed year and unfortunately some of my things went to the way side...

There were two IQ Air units that both got tossed... He said that he tried to use them in the cat's room and that it did nothing to help with the smell... What he didn't realize is that a new filter would have returned them to perfect working order!!! So as I was preparing to tear out the drywall that had gotten a little moldy in the basement, I did a search for my filters and they were both gone... Each of those units is rated for 1,200 sq ft.... They did one hell of a job when they had new filters.... I got a great deal on those units and I a having a hard time justifying the expense of new or used units of the same model. Even used, they run around $500 when one considers that they will need a new filter. The filter alone costs $200... With all the repairs I am making to my house while trying to get the show back up and running, I am not throwing money around like I would if everything was as it should be....

I will look a these units and potentially get new IQ Air units when I am not spending money like crazy... On a positive note!! I just got the new roof finished over the weekend and at $4600, I recently made acquaintance was able to do it $1800 cheaper than the next best estimate... When he finished I discovered that he used dimensional shingles as opposed to flat shingles which was awesome!! The roof looks really good!!
  • sandman likes this

#7 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,389 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:43 AM

Man I'm not sure hoe exactly they come up with those room ratings, but if that thing is moving almost 3 times the air that the HPA300 does it must sound like a freight train. In reality they probably are using a different and inflated method of calculating room size from the air output, there's no way it's moving that much more air, the HPA300 is roughly the same size and it moves a LOT of air. I suspect that thing may be a slightly on the gimmicky side just from the room size rating.

Shame your dad tossed 2 expensive filters though, hasn't he heard of craigslist!

Edited by sandman, 14 November 2018 - 07:46 AM.

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:56 AM

Man I'm not sure hoe exactly they come up with those room ratings, but if that thing is moving almost 3 times the air that the HPA300 does it must sound like a freight train. In reality they probably are using a different and inflated method of calculating room size from the air output, there's no way it's moving that much more air, the HPA300 is roughly the same size and it moves a LOT of air. I suspect that thing may be a slightly on the gimmicky side just from the room size rating.

Shame your dad tossed 2 expensive filters though, hasn't he heard of craigslist!

They are big units... They are typically at the top of rankings done for purifiers and the filter its self is pretty massive... They weren't whisper quiet that's for sure and it stood 28"-30" off the ground and is 18" square... They weren't small. I am sure the rating for room size was inflated.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!