27 replies to this topic

#1 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,034 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

In this new age of hyper-communication bubbling up and over I find myself wanting to refine my searches so that I can control the bulk of what I am exposed to in a particular day or in general throughout the weeks.  I just found out about podcasts.  And Im pretty sure that particular tech is not only old tech, but meant for ipods back in the day -more than iphones.  Anyhoo, Im stoked because I can hear my favorite subjects while Im commuting, which occupies my time roughly 2 hours per day. 

In this internet age we can study anything and at great depth!  I love the idea of finding what matters most and then diving in deep!  How does one sort through all those subjects and refine it down to what interests them most and then...I guess what Im looking for is in the matrix when Trinity learns how to fly a chopper real quick or how Neo learned kung fu in about 20 seconds...  I realize we are still limited by our obvious technological limitations, and just not there yet, but we do have a lot of cool gadgets and new software out there and I guess I just want a news feed on that sort of thing everyday. 

I feel like some of you smart cats could let a brother in on some of the cool new tech Im missing out on...just if anything amazing comes to mind.  Is there a tech site I should start watching better?  ....just thinking out loud.   

Please give me your tech!  Great ideas are welcome!  

• Amanita Versicula likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:27 PM

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/

That should keep you busy for awhile. LOL!

You can rarely go wrong with Joe Rogan and guests. 

• riseabovethought likes this

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,852 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:05 PM

Yeah I'm with Myc. Hard to go wrong with Joe "Have you tried DMT" Rogan. Just make sure you start out with an interesting guest for your first one. Check out the interview with Elon Musk, Paul Staments and Michael Polan.

Hey Rise not sure if know this yet.... I can control the lights and climate in my house from just about anywhere I have wifi or cell service. lol

Edited by coorsmikey, 15 November 2018 - 06:10 PM.

• riseabovethought and Amanita Versicula like this

#4 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:46 PM

Fun fact, the term "podcast" predated formal support for it on actual iPods. A columnist coined it.

• riseabovethought and Amanita Versicula like this

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,939 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:37 PM

I hear Joe Rogan's pad burned in the Woolsey Fire. 

I need an MP3 player that can slew forward and reverse.  I have a 180GB classic iPod but no way to load it in my Linux.   The MP3 player I have will only advance or return in full file increments.    What's a good cheap one that will slew FF and Rev? 

#6 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:15 PM

Is thread about podcasts. Tech? Tech-based podcasts?

If it's about podcasts in general, here's a thread with some ideas. I think there's probably more than one around here on that subject.

https://mycotopia.ne...ook/?hl=podcast

• coorsmikey and riseabovethought like this

#7 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,687 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:44 PM

A little off topic, but Hey Mikey, I once read a book about a home that was 100% computer controlled. The computer fell in love with a woman who lived in the home and found an unsuspecting human to download itself into. It was crazy mad. I dont remember the author.

It makes me cringe when I hear about computer spies in the house.

• coorsmikey and Amanita Versicula like this

#8 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,034 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:49 PM

I guess it started out as podcasts in general 

but now Im looking for tech- based podcasts...which all look way too boring so Im outa there!

Thanks for all the tips ya'll.  This is great!   :biggrin:

Edited by riseabovethought, 16 November 2018 - 01:52 PM.

#9 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,970 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:21 PM

The dark side of tech is racing forward as well. Of all places Wal-Mart is on the forefront of facial recognition software combined with line item inventory. Only in use in pilot stores so far.
Meant to combat theft and random dishonesty. The inventory builds a digital history of every item in the store. One way its being used is to stop people from grabbing an item and taking it straight to returns. A scan tells them what store it was on the shelf at, and if it was ever sold. It it was never sold, you're banned from the store, and identified in facial recognition software. Almost everyone using customer service or money services also is identified in the software. Another note the Wal-Mart Facial Recognition software database is shared with Homeland Security.
  • Soliver likes this

#10 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,034 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:48 PM

^Wow, thats fucking interesting.   :chucks:

Someone once said to make it harder for that software,

gain some weight which makes the face fatter which makes FR way more difficult for the machines. :cool:

Remember that google glasses -->combined with FR, we're going to be able to walk through a crowd and know things about random people we never wanted to know.  :tinfoil: This shit is getting so crazy!  

When you referred to the dark side- I thought you were going to mention the dark web or AI- both beginning to make some waves IRL.  I also love keeping an eye on Quantum computing and its march to complete dominion over our lives.  That wont take long once they are a little farther along which is right around the corner... 

Edited by riseabovethought, 16 November 2018 - 02:50 PM.

#11 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,970 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:10 PM

AI seems to be not so I, so far. Amazon was AI to sort out most likely candidates from job applicants, turned out the program was progressively more biased towards male candidates.

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,939 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:36 PM

Hey, how about that MP3 player I'm trying to find?  Just tell me I can get one somewhere besides Amazon or Wal*Mart.

#13 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,089 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:44 AM

The dark side of tech is racing forward as well. Of all places Wal-Mart is on the forefront of facial recognition software combined with line item inventory. Only in use in pilot stores so far.
Meant to combat theft and random dishonesty. The inventory builds a digital history of every item in the store. One way its being used is to stop people from grabbing an item and taking it straight to returns. A scan tells them what store it was on the shelf at, and if it was ever sold. It it was never sold, you're banned from the store, and identified in facial recognition software. Almost everyone using customer service or money services also is identified in the software. Another note the Wal-Mart Facial Recognition software database is shared with Homeland Security.

George Orwell was right.

He was just off a few years.

Tech is moving so fast I wonder what it will be like in another 30 or so years.

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,939 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:11 PM

Well, there is a very noticeable possibility that a WWIII might intervene.   We'll just have to see.

A cosmic catastrophe could upset that plan, though.   

The possibilities are endless, and all the projections are iffy. 

We could be invaded by a band of angels too. 

Tell me, what's happening five seconds from now?

Edited by Alder Logs, 17 November 2018 - 12:14 PM.

#15 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,089 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:31 PM

I agree Alder.

The earths magnetic field could shift at any time and put our instruments into turmoil.

As it is transitioning, we will have no protection, and the sun's flare ups could strip our atmosphere clean off the earth.

So many possibilities.

There is no way to predict the future.

But I still wonder..............

Edited by mushit, 17 November 2018 - 12:32 PM.

#16 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:39 PM

Wal Mart terrifies me.  I'm almost inclined to go ahead and get a job there or at Amazon, so at least I'll be on the inside.  WM is the 2nd largest employer in the nation - numero uno is the Feds . . .

"FRT" is already taken by "Federal Realty Investment Trust" (why not FRIT?) so I'm really hoping the facial recognition tech gets acro'd to . ..

FaRT.

That's pretty much how I feel about it, at least.

Poor Alder is just looking for an MP3 player in the "new tech" thread, which means "new" has completely different meanings for everyone.  I mean, I like to stay three years behind the tech curve for financial reasons; in comparison, Alder is oiling his wooden zippers ...

:)

soliver

• mushit, coorsmikey and Amanita Versicula like this

#17 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Sanity Within

• OG VIP
  • 256 posts

Donator

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:17 PM

"Poor Alder is just looking for an MP3 player in the "new tech" thread, which means "new" has completely different meanings for everyone.  I mean, I like to stay three years behind the tech curve for financial reasons; in comparison, Alder is oiling his wooden zippers "

NOT making Fun at your expense Alder~honey~just that i '"think" you have IT in your computer.

Was trying to figure OUT what YOU are trying to do-but i can't.

I can't even (still) maneuver this SITE.  There may be directions here BUT i never claimed to follow directions.

HOPE you found your MP3 player. I know i have a "choice" in an old Windows Vista WHAT i wanna use for music.

I still ~however~ forgot what i came here to say.

And my "avatar" says SANITY WITHIN~? One of the Admin/Moderators must have been feeling sorry for me & tried to encourage me. THERE IS NO "SANITY WITHIN" it's is all without.

Gave UP that "notion" before Senility started setting in~very intense conversations i have been having with~myself......

Holy Sheetz~i can't even figure out HOW TO DO A "COMMUNITY UPDATE"......

HAVE been looking for awhile. Now that's gotta be a "TEK" in someone's book.

A little HIGH~regena~>>>THAT she HAS MASTERED<<<

ps~Good Luck OUR FRIEND~ Alder                                                     don't think i AM gonna like this color~

Have a SAFE & HEALTHY & HAPPY HOLIDAY ALLLLLLLLL++++CHEERS+

• riseabovethought likes this

#18 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,034 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:23 PM

Holy Shit Alder, and everybody!  I found the motherload!  Best of Coast to Coast podcasts!  Its so good!  And lots of microbe podcasts and comedian podcasts and science and motivational podcasts, I love it!  Woo hoo!  So many good podcasts its becoming a little tricky to find what you're looking for and I think there's probably one to find what you're looking for even!  I shoudl get that one, but yeah, its a lot of fun catching up on my favorite shows this way!

#19 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2018 - 02:16 PM

A little off topic, but Hey Mikey, I once read a book about a home that was 100% computer controlled. The computer fell in love with a woman who lived in the home and found an unsuspecting human to download itself into. It was crazy mad. I dont remember the author.

It makes me cringe when I hear about computer spies in the house.

You aren't fooling anyone odd!! We all know that the book was your autobiography...

I appreciate your  humility, but how on earth could the computer restrain himself... It just wasn't fair....

With hardware that includes RAM, Hard-D, and Floppy-D....I imagine computers are pretty sexual...

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,939 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:02 PM

I am looking for an MP3 player that runs on batteries and rides with me in the car and plays through my radio/cassette player with a cassette transducer. 

=================================

I am just getting back from days without internet with weird issues with my ISP.   They said it was my modem and sent me a new one.  Now my VPN box won't let me access the internet and I have to go straight from the modem to get online.  GRRRrRRRRrrrrr...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!