27 replies to this topic

#21 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,407 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

I am looking for an MP3 player that runs on batteries and rides with me in the car and plays through my radio/cassette player with a cassette transducer. 

=================================

I am just getting back from days without internet with weird issues with my ISP.   They said it was my modem and sent me a new one.  Now my VPN box won't let me access the internet and I have to go straight from the modem to get online.  GRRRrRRRRrrrrr...

The device is called a "smart phone". 

And..........there's an app for that - in regards to your MP3 player running through your car stereo. 

You're looking to marry new tech and old tech. Not likely to happen with a simple workaround. I've checked into it myself. There are some complicated schemes which require alterations to your stereo's wiring harness. This step will allow a blue tooth connection between your phone and the car stereo. 

Or

You could search for the wiring diagram of your particular car stereo and figure out how to "hack" a bluetooth connection into the audio input signal. 

#22 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,854 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2018 - 12:09 PM

Ha I was in Autozone not to long ago and saw one of those cassette adapter still being sold. Its basically a cassette shell with a magnetic head in it, It also has a thin ribbon wire that comes from it into a 1/8 female jack. No need to rewire for bluetooth if you don't mind the wires. Of course I was in that section looking for the bluetooth adaptor when I saw the cassette one. I admit that i did get a chuckle when I saw the cassette one. 

I actually have an old iPod player and several chargers that go with it, If I looked there is probably some MP3 players stored away with the iPod. all  of which are standalone and not and old  smartphone. Have some old smartphones as well that work as MP3 players with no service tied to them. Alder I would glady send some of this stuff to you to see it getting used. 

#23 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,941 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2018 - 12:29 PM

I have the wires and the dummy cassette transducer.  The crappy MP3 player will not slew FF and Rev.   It only will jump full files, as it's made to play music.  I listen to spoken word and if I miss something, the files can be an hour long, so what's missed is gone.  It is this slewing capability that I need.  I have an iPod Classic, 160GB, but I don't have an Apple or Windoze OS, and Apple and Windoze play keep-away from Linux, so I can't use the iPod.   My car is 21 years old with 230K and runs fine (Honda Civic).   I have never had a cell phone.   Don't know shit about them.  I have a friend who has a Sandisc MP3 player that slews, but says hers died and she got a new one and the slewing capability has been made worse in some way.   

#24 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,947 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

You might be able to approach this from a different angle Alder.  I did a quick look on Crutchfield's website and you can get a new receiver with a front USB and SD input  on it for under $40 (they confirmed it will fit in a '97 civic's dash).  You can then play MP3 files off a memory stick or SD card.

Crutchfield also includes (for free) a wire harness adapter, and a new bezel adaptor so it will fit properly in your dash, and so you don't have to splice any wires.   

Supper easy plug and play.  Crutchfield is a great company to work with if your not familiar with them.

https://www.crutchfi...ual-XR4120.html

• Alder Logs likes this

#25 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,941 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for that link, Juth.  Being as how there is only <<  &  >> controls shown, it looks like forward and reverse are still only by the complete file.  It seems everyone assumes everyone listening to MP3s are listening to songs.  They usually call them songs.  It's like, "once more, from the top," will be the only thing anyone is interested in.   What about audio books, lectures and interviews?  Fuck!

• Juthro likes this

#26 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for that link, Juth. Being as how there is only << & >> controls shown, it looks like forward and reverse are still only by the complete file. It seems everyone assumes everyone listening to MP3s are listening to songs. They usually call them songs. It's like, "once more, from the top," will be the only thing anyone is interested in. What about audio books, lectures and interviews? Fuck!

Check the instruction manual, it says press and hold to fast forward or reverse. As opposed to short presses to skip to next track / back to start of track.
  • coorsmikey, Alder Logs and Juthro like this

#27 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,947 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:01 PM

^^What he said^^   Push and hold for FF/REV, quick push for next/previous track.

That's the way the stereo works in my Subaru, and its also the way the aftermarket CD player in my Jeep works.  But its an older one, and it has to have the MP3's on a CD (no USB inputs).  

Edited by Juthro, 21 November 2018 - 08:10 PM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#28 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,941 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:19 PM

I didn't see that manual.   Here's yet another issue with that:  my radio is also the controller for both the CD changer located in the trunk, and the cassette player between the dash and the console.    

I really want one that I can carry with me and listen on headphones too.   I wonder if this one will FF and REV if you hold the << & >> buttons down.  I can't find a manual for it, and it's in the $35 range.

https://www.sandisk....layers/clip-jam

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!