18 replies to this topic

#1 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Donator

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:58 PM

Hello all, as my topic states in Looking to do my first tub, I've got 3 pints ready and just want some advice from the experts, I have both Coco coir that I use for soil in my indoor garden and I have vermiculite. My only reference for tubs is expanding woodlovers. Advice is always welcome and thank you in advance

#2 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

First of all, welcome.

Second, please share more info about the grow.

What strain? How big is the tub, and how did you set up the holes and FAE? What grain is the substrate? Do you have worm castings? Do you have polyfil, tyvek, or micropore tape? Do you have gypsum and lime?

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 710 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2018 - 01:33 PM

For your substrate mix, I would make things as simple as possible... When doing the first of anything, I think that the K-I-S-S approach is always a good move.

Vermiculite is neutral in terms of PH and coir is typically pretty damn close to neutral. I wouldn't concern yourself with a PH buffer like gypsum or lime.... Some coir is a little more acidic but i really wouldn't concern myself if I was doing my first tub.

Something you do have to look into is whether the coir you have for your indoor gardening has trich already introduced. Trich is great for organic soils but is the bane of mushroom cultivators... Make sure the brand you are using does not have Trich introduced during production.

I would just go with a 1:1 mix of coir and verm. Those two can give you good results all by themselves... Deleena mentioned worm castings which can be added but I would suggest steering clear. Worm casting can get muddy and I have found it difficult to get my substrate to a proper texture and moisture content with castings.

The strain shouldn't really matter all that much, most cubes are going to thrive under similar conditions... (Assuming you are doing cubes that is)

The type of grain you are using for spawn shouldn't impact anything all that much, you either have colonized grain spawn or you have uncolonized grain spawn People find certain grains they prefer working with but at this point, with your spawn ready to roll, I don't see how the type of spawn will impact how you proceed.

Choose a tek and follow it... If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. There are lots of people on here willing to help!

Important note.... If you have only 3 pints of spawn, you are going to be limited by the tub size.... I would lean to smaller rather than bigger if you are on the fence as to what size to do.

• Deleena24, Soliver and WalkingCatfish like this

#4 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Donator

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:58 PM

Strain is plantasia mystery, I'm using hippie Tek as my substrate which has worm castings. I'm only using 3 pints of spawn it's going to be a small shoe box that I've made 5 holes in the lid and covered with tyvek for Fae. The coir I have is in bricks so I gotta add boiling water to it anyway to bring to field capacity. I'll add my vermiculite and brick to my old drink cooler add boiling water and let it sit a few hours. Thank you guys!!

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 710 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:07 PM

Strain is plantasia mystery, I'm using hippie Tek as my substrate which has worm castings. I'm only using 3 pints of spawn it's going to be a small shoe box that I've made 5 holes in the lid and covered with tyvek for Fae. The coir I have is in bricks so I gotta add boiling water to it anyway to bring to field capacity. I'll add my vermiculite and brick to my old drink cooler add boiling water and let it sit a few hours. Thank you guys!!

What brand is the coir? Boiling water or not, if it has trich as an additive, you are going to have issues... One of the "Canna" brands is known for adding trich to the coir...

#6 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Donator

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:34 PM

Ecoearth from Petco. It's the stuff I use for hydro grow media

#7 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Donator

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:38 PM

This brand

Attached Thumbnails

• 71-i+7TFtlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 710 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:40 PM

I am relatively positive that eco earth is perfectly fine... I think Canna Coir is the main culprit of adding Trichoderma...

• Sicshroom likes this

#9 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Donator

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:21 PM

Thank you so much

#10 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:57 PM

Good luck!
  • Sicshroom likes this

#11 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:35 PM

Generic coir in bulk from amazon has been pretty good for me.

:)

soliver

• Sicshroom and Cuboid like this

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:04 PM

I like the Eco earth. I do have some that was made for plants I'm going to try. Cause it was a dollar a brick at a yard sale. Its called Wonder Soil. Definitely has additives, even earthworm castings. Doesn't say Trichoderma specifically, but indicates some kind of fungal/microbial additives. Should do fine pasteurized.

#13 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Donator

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:58 PM

That's awesome to know. I've used coco coir with perlite as my preferred grow media for anything indoors. All the nutrient control of hydroponics with the hardyness of soil. I love this stuff also easy to ph.

#14 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Donator

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:34 PM

With my tub being green it's hard to show how much growth has happened in 6 days the top layer is probably 4% covered. How long should I let this go for? I'm thinking 15 more days give it and even 21 days the. Soak?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181125_203019.jpg

#15 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Donator

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:59 AM

Cased on 11-19-18 looks grown out fully on top and bottom. Soaking for 24 then fruiting!

#16 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Donator

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:01 AM

Cased on 11-19-18 looks grown out fully on top and bottom. Soaking for 24 then fruiting!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181205_074736.jpg
  • IMG_20181205_074755.jpg

• Deleena24 likes this

#17 AbnormalMortaL

AbnormalMortaL

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:41 PM

I'm no pro..but it looks great to me
  • Sicshroom likes this

#18 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

You shouldn't have to dunk before the first flush with trays. There should be plenty water in there if it was properly hydrated before spawning, and it looks like it was.

Looking forward to your fruits.
  • Sicshroom likes this

#19 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Donator

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:21 PM

I'll keep you posted :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!