• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 02:21 PM

Hi all I am new to the forums and have enjoyed reading many of the posts. I am on a journey that has drawn me to this place. I don't usually write in forums. I hope that I can contribute and possibly learn some things. I am in a place in my life that I want to nurture my spirit.
  • Coopdog, PJammer24, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,328 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2018 - 02:54 PM

Funny how we seem to "stumble upon" places like this when we have a need. 

The student being ready and the teacher arriving and all that..........

Hoping you're able to improve upon your life's journey by building upon (and with) whatever you may find here. ;)

• Coopdog, Skywatcher and Sikfreud like this

#3 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 05:12 PM

Thanks Myc;-)

#4 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:28 AM

I have begun to study traditional Buddhism and finding it very appealing. I'm having trouble with meditation. I am struggling keeping my thoughts at bay. Being an introvert I live in my thoughts and it's difficult. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Edited by Sikfreud, 28 November 2018 - 12:02 PM.

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,328 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:41 PM

Find something social to do. Get out of the house and interact with other folks. 

Mycotopia is a good way to begin making a change. There are lots of interesting folks around here.

Maybe start a new hobby. Horticulture or fungiculture can be very rewarding. 

You also need a real-life social group. Church, AA, NA, meet-up groups............anything which gets you out and invested in someone besides yourself. 

There are some interesting articles and studies regarding Hericium erinaceus. 

Consuming this fungus can help to re-train synaptic pathways which have become damaged, sedimented, or fallen out of use --

Alcoholism and drug abuse do a certain amount of damage to one's thinking and habits. Our brains become habituated to this low-energy state of numbness brought on by the chemicals of choice. 

Making a positive life change requires stepping out of the "normal" and venturing into new territory. 

It's a process. And it's one of the most rewarding experiences a being can undertake. 

Hoping this helps. 

• Sikfreud likes this

#6 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:09 PM

Thank you that is some very thoughtful advice. The wife has been talking about doing some volunteer work it may be just the thing I need as well. I do so enjoy growing my plants and have started in on the fungiculture I'm going to research the fungus you mentioned is it easily grown?
  • Myc likes this

#7 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:22 PM

Haha cool. Lions mane seems to be plenty of advice on that one thank you.
  • Myc likes this

#8 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 418 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:27 PM

hello welcome

There are many ways  to grow  fungus  perhaps the PF Tek is best beginner point . then try other styles later . 

I might suggest you read SideStreets  thread "Magic For The Masses" .in the first post of thread is his take on updated PF tek  with a

Free instructional PDF File .tutorial

It gives complete fool proof instructions for growing on cakes this method is simple / fool proof if you follow to a" T"  no deviation no experiments .

GOOD LUCK  ! Again Welcome !

Here is link  for thread with link for free instructional PDF in first post .

https://mycotopia.ne...for-the-masses/

Edited by bezevo, 28 November 2018 - 01:29 PM.

• Sikfreud likes this

#9 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:11 PM

Thanks,

I have some pf cakes started. I should probably wait until I see the results from that project before I start another:). But I am very excited to have found this site. I found excactly what I was looking for within minutes in the form of Magic for the Masses. I think that's why I've stuck around to see what else this place has to offer and I am finding many many things. Thank you all for this wonderful community. It's funny how you can go in search of what you think you want and find what you really need right under the surface :)

#10 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,328 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:26 PM

This discussion deserves to be in a couple of places:

[Direct Link]

Do yourself a monster favor and listen to the short lecture. 

Edited by Myc, 28 November 2018 - 04:27 PM.

• Sikfreud likes this

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,773 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:43 PM

I'm having trouble with meditation. I am struggling keeping my thoughts at bay.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I have an ADHD brain.  Formal meditation was tried forty five years ago -- tried hard.   Thoughts only have the power we give them.   To start with, don't claim or own the thoughts.   Ever have a thought roll through and think, "where in the fuck did that come from?"    Look at thoughts as clouds passing in a clear sky.   Trying to keep a thought at bay is to empower it.   Don't ever try that.   Let thoughts pass, and only be the observation of whatever passes.    I didn't say, "observer," because that creates a you, and the thought.  Be more as the verb, not the noun, the meditation, not the meditator.

As you begin to just be there as the thoughts and clouds do their thing, you will likely see your mind going along in whatever thread some thought that found your interest took you.   But right there, you may see how that worked.   Restart being the watching again.   In a little time, it becomes easier to see how the thinking works.   It gets subtler and subtler, but you will see that too.  The silence in which all the noise happens will start to show itself, as the silence between notes in a tune, if it's watched for.   We can pause thought as a means to see thought start up again.   And, we can do that again and again.  Soon we will see more and more clearly that we are not our thoughts.  

Enjoy.

• Myc, Skywatcher, Guy1298 and 1 other like this

#12 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:25 PM

Wow and Wow thank you all great stuff!!

#13 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:52 PM

The meditation is getting easier. I feel much better. The anger and sadness slips back in sometimes but I am really trying to recognize what the triggers are and contemplating solutions. I am also trying love and kindness projection. I walk past many people every day. I try and project them all happiness. When I do this it makes me happier in return. I tried my first love and kindness meditation. I hope that I can get better at it. I am going to try and do at least one mindful meditation and one love and kindness meditation every day. Thanks for listening and your help.
  • Myc, Alder Logs and Guy1298 like this

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,773 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:42 PM

For when you have 43 minutes to spare:

[Direct Link]

• Sikfreud likes this

#15 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:31 PM

Thank you for that Alder!

Edited by Sikfreud, 03 December 2018 - 10:59 PM.

#16 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:12 AM

Alder that meditation was exactly what I needed. There are a lot of these meditations out there pointing exactly the same place but this was the one I needed.   I'm awake again thank you Brother.  It's been about a week and I have done a lot more meditation.  It's so much easier and enjoyable.  I have the key again I'm just fighting my bullshit ego.  I struggle every day but I am also enjoying the now.  I have never smiled so much. People at work don't know what to say.  I walk around with a shit eating grin all day.  I really like Rupert Spira and Eckhart Tolle.  Eckhart cracks me up he is so elated.  But ya Brother thank you.  Thank you all.

• Myc and Alder Logs like this

#17 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:16 AM

When did my ego take charge?
When did I let it tell me I was not enough?
When did I decide that what I need I did not posses?
It does not matter now.
I see the truth.
But my ego he is stubborn.
He is frantically throwing doubts.
Because he is scared.
I know the truth of what he is.
He holds no power I do not give.
So many years searching for what I already posses.
It does not matter now.
I have seen the truth.

It's time to be awake.
It's time to smile.
  • Alder Logs and Guy1298 like this

#18 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,328 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:33 AM

Just remember.........it's a process. 

That ego thing lurks and waits for an opportunity to re-assert itself. 

A system of practice helps defend against re-assertion of the ego's insanity. 

It's only life, after all. 

• Alder Logs and Sikfreud like this

#19 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:16 AM

[Direct Link]

• Myc and Alder Logs like this

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,773 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:54 PM

We can just as well use gratitude as a spiritual practice.

[Direct Link]

Edited by Alder Logs, 11 December 2018 - 03:02 PM.

• Sikfreud likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!