• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

I kept that one bad plate, because an interesting fungus-fight is brewing, there. :biggrin: 

Mould.jpg

Those two guys should meet before this afternoon. My money is on the mould.

#22 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:13 AM

how about a second SAB to do the flaming inside of?  It'd be clumsy and inefficient but it would solve the problem of potential fire next to the first SAB

Lol, that might be overboard. I haven't read much of anything about guys getting blown up, I have heard it's happened but IDK if it's common.

#23 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:23 AM

how about a second SAB to do the flaming inside of?  It'd be clumsy and inefficient but it would solve the problem of potential fire next to the first SAB

In my setup (see the pic in the OP), the flame is a couple of inches outside the SAB, safely removed from flammable stuff. I just poke the tip of my inoculating loop out the hole in the back, flame it, and retract it into the box. 

I've done at least a hundred agar plates since doing that, and have had one contaminated plate, so far (a spot of blue mould).

IDK if you can really see it in the pic in my earlier reply, but mine has a 1 1/4" hole at the bottom, like your saying, and I just stick the tip(lol)out and flame. I saved the hole cut-out to tape back in place so I can leave the freshly nocced up jars, etc. in there to get a clean start.

i thought I was doing great having done 24 "plates" with no 'tams lol. When we start out, they make it seem like a contam is gonna happen right away, and I always went way overboard trying to be sterile at first I used a LOT of  iso alcohol that I could have made last a long time.

Hey Walking CF, for brf jars with filtered, ported lids, the verm layer is not necessary, right? I am gonna do a batch while I get my bulk/monotub technique down, and I'm gettin low on stash after the hollidays/NY.

#24 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:19 AM

You're right, I missed that your hole is in the bottom. Hey, whatever works. :biggrin:

If I were growing commercially, I guess the word "contaminant" would give me the shakes. As it is, it's just another interesting thing that might happen. I feel the same way about my garden...I like watching the weeds and beetles almost as much as I like tending my plants.

My fungus fight didn't exactly happen, yesterday.  The enemies sidled up close to one another but haven't actually touched. They can clearly sense one another, and are preparing their offensive and defensive chemical toolkits. In the meantime, they're growing out in other directions, consolidating territory and nutrients.

Re. verm layer...sure, if you have ported lids, it should be fine.

#25 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:47 PM

how about a second SAB to do the flaming inside of? It'd be clumsy and inefficient but it would solve the problem of potential fire next to the first SAB

In my setup (see the pic in the OP), the flame is a couple of inches outside the SAB, safely removed from flammable stuff. I just poke the tip of my inoculating loop out the hole in the back, flame it, and retract it into the box.

I've done at least a hundred agar plates since doing that, and have had one contaminated plate, so far (a spot of blue mould).
IDK if you can really see it in the pic in my earlier reply, but mine has a 1 1/4" hole at the bottom, like your saying, and I just stick the tip(lol)out and flame. I saved the hole cut-out to tape back in place so I can leave the freshly nocced up jars, etc. in there to get a clean start.

i thought I was doing great having done 24 "plates" with no 'tams lol. When we start out, they make it seem like a contam is gonna happen right away, and I always went way overboard trying to be sterile at first I used a LOT of iso alcohol that I could have made last a long time.

Hey Walking CF, for brf jars with filtered, ported lids, the verm layer is not necessary, right? I am gonna do a batch while I get my bulk/monotub technique down, and I'm gettin low on stash after the hollidays/NY.

Using ported lids instead of a vermiculite barrier is so much easier. You can even shake them if you try hard enough. I never use a verm layer anymore. Yay for SHIPS and filters.
  • Billcoz likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!