#1 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,606 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:09 AM

I just recently found a delicacy I was instantly addicted to.  I shop the oddball cheese section at my local Albertson's store, and they had some Black Truffle Goulda cheese. It was normally $11.99 for a roll about 1.5 inches thick and 4 inches long if that. It was on sale for $5.99 so I bought some. Damn man this stuff was some of the most heady addictive stuff I have ever put in my mouth. 

So, I bought one, loved it and bought two more, one for me and one for a gift to a friend. Now I am sitting here lusting for some more like it was sex or something. I googled truffles to buy, and OMG!!! that is something I will have to save for anniversaries or birthdays. $800 a lb is amazingly high! I found some for $30.00 an oz. One of these days man, one of these days. 

• coorsmikey, GalenOl and Firnapz like this

#2 Trippy_Toes

Trippy_Toes

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 217 posts

Donator

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:14 AM

Magnesium and Polyethylene glycol 3350 should keep things moving;)

drink water!!

#3 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,138 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:00 PM

That is something I have never tried, Coop.

Your post got me thinking.  I wonder what it would take to grow your own.

Probably an astronomical feat, and the reason they are $800 / lb.

• Coopdog likes this

#4 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,606 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:17 PM

I read something about them being symbiotic to a certain tree's roots. I believe it was Ash, but probably wrong, as it's been a while and that they only grow off of old specimens of those tree roots. I know there are black truffles and white truffles here, but it takes specially trained pigs or dogs to find them as they normally grow about 4-5 inches under the surface. Saw some in the mushroom ID forum I am part of, and they looked like "Elk" truffles to me lol, not fungus but hell what do I know? :)

• mushit likes this

#5 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,138 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:44 PM

I was just reading about growing truffles.

Being a hard one to grow is an understatement!

They say it takes five to ten years to get your first harvest after creating an orchard of trees!

Lots of moisture is required and no competing growth.

I think I will stick to the easy stuff like reishi.  :biggrin:

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,313 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:50 PM

I think there is some kind of truffle that is symbiotic to Douglas fir here in the PNW. 

#7 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,606 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2018 - 12:48 AM

Yep Alder, Black and white truffles both grow here. 

#8 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:59 PM

Lots of truffle farms fail - the trees have to be 'young adult' before you can even think about a harvest, and even then it's not guaranteed that it'll work - you have to buy 'seeder' trees that are dusted with truffle powder or something, plant those, pray it all worked and then find something else to make money in the next ten years. 

Oh, and you have to train a truffle sniffing dog or pig in the mean time WITHOUT eating the pig.

If starting a vineyard seems like too much action, try truffle farming.

:)

soliver

• mushit and MedicineMan9 like this

#9 MedicineMan9

MedicineMan9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:27 AM

That is something I have never tried, Coop.

Your post got me thinking.  I wonder what it would take to grow your own.

Probably an astronomical feat, and the reason they are $800 / lb.

I read something about them being symbiotic to a certain tree's roots. I believe it was Ash, but probably wrong, as it's been a while and that they only grow off of old specimens of those tree roots. I know there are black truffles and white truffles here, but it takes specially trained pigs or dogs to find them as they normally grow about 4-5 inches under the surface. Saw some in the mushroom ID forum I am part of, and they looked like "Elk" truffles to me lol, not fungus but hell what do I know? :)

I was just reading about growing truffles.

Being a hard one to grow is an understatement!

They say it takes five to ten years to get your first harvest after creating an orchard of trees!

Lots of moisture is required and no competing growth.

I think I will stick to the easy stuff like reishi.  :biggrin:

Lots of truffle farms fail - the trees have to be 'young adult' before you can even think about a harvest, and even then it's not guaranteed that it'll work - you have to buy 'seeder' trees that are dusted with truffle powder or something, plant those, pray it all worked and then find something else to make money in the next ten years. 

Oh, and you have to train a truffle sniffing dog or pig in the mean time WITHOUT eating the pig.

If starting a vineyard seems like too much action, try truffle farming.

:)

soliver

I got quite excited when I read that a single 2lb truffle sold for more than $300,000 in 2012! White truffles can sell for as much as $3,600 per lb making them the most expensive food in the world  :ph34r:  My enthusiasm was  dampened somewhat when I saw what trying to grow truffles involves  :ohmy: 

The soil needs to have a pH between 7.5 and 8.3 (or 7.9 depending on who you listen to). You can choose from a variety of young trees to plant but the roots have to be inoculated before being planted. You can buy trees ready inoculated here in the UK (not sure about the US) for about £20 each (so £2,000 - £20,000 per acre just for the trees). Oak, beech, hazel and birch seem to be favourites. You have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide whether it's better to plant 100 trees per acre or 1,000! Then you have to set up an irrigation system to keep your investment watered while you hoe the weeds beneath them for at least the first two years. You might want to think about security given the value of your truffles if they do grow, not just from human thieves, but also from rabbits, deer and pigs! If all goes well and your truffles do indeed grow then, as Soliver mentioned, you'll need a trained pig or dog to help you find though .... and it seems a dog is favoured as more than one truffle hunter has lost fingers trying to wrestle a truffle from the jaws of his truffle hunting pig  :chucks: 

Interesting stuff! Here are a couple of articles on growing truffles and training a truffle dog in case any of you have the cash and an appetite for risk as well as for fancy fungi.

https://morningchore...-grow-truffles/

#10 MedicineMan9

MedicineMan9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:28 AM

Training your truffle dog:

http://provenceguru....wn-truffle-dog/

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!