30 replies to this topic

#21 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:06 PM

EDIT oops.

Edited by Billcoz, 26 November 2018 - 06:24 PM.

#22 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:23 PM

Soliver lmao.

These dont have veils! Neither did my Atls.. And after the caps flatten, they turn wavy just like P. Cyans. So timing is prob really important.

I'll figure it out.

I saw pics somewhere of a guy taking prints from a wavy capped variety, cap was already wavy, he got a nice visible print.

#23 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:51 PM

About coir, you never sterilize substrate.

It has shown to benefit from cooking, at pastuerization temps. It doesn't have the beneficial microorganisms that composted products have, unless its been supplemented. If its been supplemented, it will be listed on the package.

#24 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:53 PM

Ta ha ha ha ... Billcoz ...

Here's a fine example of repeated wisdom vs. actually checking with the source.

In the OMC there's all kinds of repeated ... stuff.  A lot of it's legit, some of it's just repeated, like an urban myth, like Mr. Rogers having the #1 sniper kill count during Vietnam ... it's so awesome, it's gotta be true, right? 

Ya know, since you mention it, it DOES make sense that those bricks are sterile AF when they're wrapped up.  Never thought too much about it - wash, rinse, repeat   :)

All the same, I'll probably keep cleaning my coir - I don't like leaving things to chance, but that's a fascinating insight from a producer of one of our favorite substrates.

Good times - many thanks,

:)

soliver

• Billcoz likes this

#25 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:00 PM

You have a good point. I've had jars where some grain remains stuck in it. I've taken a small chunk of coir, added warm water and put it in the jar with the tiny bit of grain. Colonized and fruited invitro no probs. I actually have 3 jars like that pinning right now. I experiment alot.
  • Soliver and Billcoz like this

#26 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:00 PM

Soliver lmao.

These dont have veils! Neither did my Atls.. And after the caps flatten, they turn wavy just like P. Cyans. So timing is prob really important.

I'll figure it out.

Weird - I sorta thought these all had veils of some sort (?)

Either way, anyone getting a print from a site member probably isn't expecting straight-to-syringe kinds of cleanliness and are most likely rocking some agar. 

Hell, no print's 'clean,' so that's all a boulder of salt either way.

Cool if you could spread the love around, keep on keepin' on,

soliver

#27 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:59 AM

About coir, you never sterilize substrate.

It has shown to benefit from cooking, at pastuerization temps. It doesn't have the beneficial microorganisms that composted products have, unless its been supplemented. If its been supplemented, it will be listed on the package.

What I was asking really is just how it actually hurts if it is actually sterile, which the companies customer service said it is when it's packaged, so how does sterilizing actually hurt, or cause contams?

I do believe those who say that, I understand it's common peactice to pasteurize, & keep it under 170F,  but over 160F for an hour, just why?

Maybe it breaks down coco coir fibers making it less nutritious for our myc, or making it easier for contams to take hold and grow? 

Edited by Billcoz, 27 November 2018 - 02:22 AM.

#28 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:50 AM

Ta ha ha ha ... Billcoz ...

Here's a fine example of repeated wisdom vs. actually checking with the source.

In the OMC there's all kinds of repeated ... stuff.  A lot of it's legit, some of it's just repeated, like an urban myth, like Mr. Rogers having the #1 sniper kill count during Vietnam ... it's so awesome, it's gotta be true, right? 

Good times - many thanks,

soliver

Haha, At first when I started researching this stuff three years ago(didn't start growing till this Aug), I had a suspicion that a lot of mycologist/mush growers were heavily invested in the "American" brand pressure cookers, like stock holders in the company.

Because MOST of what comes up in search results(mostly shroomery) is stuff like, "how to grow mushrooms, no pressure cooker", and guys replying, "go buy a PC or don't fucking bother!" or something to that effect, or, "mine only costed 60 bucks, that aint shit!", and the thread ends, seemingly with the noob giving up completely.

Hell, if I had a chunk of $, that would be a good investment, "medical" psilocybin is supposed to be legal in at least one state by the end of 2019(heard that on some podcast), so an industry, like the hydroponics industry ect. for cannabis, might come about for mush-growing.

I could come on here and watch for new grower's posts asking "no PC" questions, and I'll say, "go buy a PC, it's fuckin cheap!(but buy American brand)." Could happen

Soliver lmao.

I'll figure it out.

Weird - I sorta thought these all had veils of some sort (?)

Either way, anyone getting a print from a site member probably isn't expecting straight-to-syringe kinds of cleanliness and are most likely rocking some agar. 

Hell, no print's 'clean,' so that's all a boulder of salt either way.

Cool if you could spread the love around, keep on keepin' on, lol.

soliver

I think he was asking if there was a way of knowing when the spores are gonna start dropping on species that have no veil.

Since you can see the veils break on those species, how could you know when it's about to drop 'em without the veil as a guide on veil-less ones, so you know when to take the print?

• Soliver likes this

#29 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:42 PM

Here is how they look today.

Night before past there was a blizzard, and power was cutting on and off from 1am to 3am every 10 minutes. From 3am to around 9am no power at all.

Since my humidifier is on a digital on/off, I produced no humidity in the Martha from 1am to 9am.

It looked like maybe the caps were forced to start opening because of this, but now I'm convinced humidity fixed everything that was damaged if it ever was.

The fans weren't running the whole time either so I'm pretty sure humidity didnt drop too low that night.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181127_120703.jpg

• Soliver likes this

#30 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:39 PM

Here is how they look today.

Night before past there was a blizzard, and power was cutting on and off from 1am to 3am every 10 minutes. From 3am to around 9am no power at all.

Since my humidifier is on a digital on/off, I produced no humidity in the Martha from 1am to 9am.

It looked like maybe the caps were forced to start opening because of this, but now I'm convinced humidity fixed everything that was damaged if it ever was.

The fans weren't running the whole time either so I'm pretty sure humidity didnt drop too low that night.

That's the worst, when the power goes out, with my weed grow the timer is analog so has no backup& if power just blinks off for a second the light shuts off, & when HID lights go off, then right back on before the lamp cools, it won't fire back up, so the magnetic ballast buzzes and gets red hot and stinks like burning electronics which kills the ballast and bulb.

I guess automation is hard with both hobbies, this is due to the power companies that have a monopoly on electricity with the shitty grid system we have, we HAVE to buy our power from them, or basically spend the same amount on making our home "off-grid", in which we use products made in factories that use grid power anyway, so it's almost impossible actually be "off-grid" completely.

Edited by Billcoz, 27 November 2018 - 05:40 PM.

#31 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:34 PM

You're preaching to the choir, friend.

On my new house, I want to put up a couple sets of new Solar Panels. They're pretty cheap at Harbor Freight. I'd use it only for my workspace, so I would produce much more energy than I use, which the power company will actually pay you for!

I have a friend who gets a small check every month because his panels always produce more power than he uses. The extra goes flowing back into the grid for someone else to pay for.

Edited by Deleena24, 28 November 2018 - 01:35 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!