#1 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,135 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2018 - 05:30 PM

Anyone out there weird like me?

Got a beautiful, huge doe Wednesday afternoon - a perfect neck shot that left sooo much meat on there.

Me & the boy dropped the head, skinned and gutted, let it sit for two days & the day after T-day I got to harvesting.

10 quarts of PC'd cubes of meat (I make the best chili con carne ever) and 20 pounds of jerky strips that dry down to about 7-8 pounds of dry jerky - chili lime and spicy teriyaki ....

Then I take all the leftover body parts and put them in a huge outdoor pot over an old woodstove and cook it in 5-8 gallons of water all day; the next day, when it's cool I remove the hard fat disc at the top, take it inside & perform further rendering tasks for soap.  Bambi makes the very best soap, IME.

I'd love to tan the hide but I'm short on time and I'm not sure I'm gonna go there - may just salt it with non-iodized salt and see if I change my mind later.

So I fried up the liver last night after soaking it in (literally) over 20 changes of water, then milk, then fried in bacon drippings and served with fried onions & bacon bits.

It was all I could do to get my portion down.  With the onions & bacon, it's barely recognizable, but on its own ... man, I guess liver simply isn't my bag.

I also made jerky from the heart - got about one pound of strips and 1/3 pound dried - that's a treat indeed.

I get most of the meat off of the neck except the part that's shot-meat and gross.  Sometimes I'll rinse and soak shot-meat then grind it, but I didn't do any ground meat with this one, as I have some left from last year - we use the canned chunks a lot more.

Guess I coulda done more with the actual head, but I'm feeling pretty fair about making good use of the sacrifice - I use my big Presto PC with three lbs of dried beans and 2-3 quarts canned bambi for my chili - man that is good stuff.

Anywhoo - just thought I'd share the odd harvest from the weekend - word,

:)

soliver

• roc, coorsmikey, Juthro and 6 others like this

#2 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:23 PM

Mm, deer jerky.  Chili lime and teryaki...sound delicious. How about the whole recipe  (or "jerky tek" in OMC-speak). :D

I've being making a lot of jerky, for the past couple of weeks (ever since buying a dehydrator for my fungi!), but am still working out the best way to do it...the best cuts, the marinade, the right thickness, the timing, etc. 

#3 OldBear

OldBear

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 118 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:51 PM

Congrats on the successful hunt & processing!

If you’ve got any backstraps left, try this vension with Cumberland sauce recipe from colonial times. I’ve eaten venison since I could chew & have been cooking it since I started popping out kids 30 years ago. This recipe is the best!

https://honest-food....d-sauce-recipe/

#4 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,135 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:01 PM

I have all the loins in the fridge still - I may try that one OB!

I'll post the recipes in a minute here - gotta get the din din rollin' ...

soliver

#5 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:46 PM

When I have time to process them the end product is a pile of loins, a pile of tenderloins, and a pile of either burger or stirfry.

The loins get marinated in Wishbone Italian dressing and grilled until cooked about halfway through - still red and wet in the center

Burger or stirfry make good chili

Saw a cooking show lately where the chef swears by marinating gamey meats in milk and junniper berries. I'll try that with the next harvest and report back here

I know whackos who will even eat the brains  :ohmy: :wacko: :eek:

Edited by pharmer, 27 November 2018 - 07:47 PM.

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,237 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:40 PM

I eat the liver and heart raw, but that's just me..

be sure to post about the first alderlogs that you bag this season please.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 27 November 2018 - 09:41 PM.

#7 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:34 PM

we're talking about deer

why did you bring up coots?????

• Juthro and CatsAndBats like this

#8 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,237 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:36 PM

we're talking about deer

why did you bring up coots?????

because cannibalism is fun.

• Soliver likes this

#9 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,135 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:11 PM

I know some Hispanic fellas that eat the brains, eyes, you name it ... tripe for menudo ... gross shit most of the time, but I guess if you're hungry enough?

Here's the jerky recipes.  I think I'll double the salt next time - I did these in six pound batches = 1tsp pink curing salt per batch as well (roughly 1 tsp per 5lbs of flesh:

Teriyaki Jerky (3lbs meat) (November 2018)

Oven at 170 4- 8 hours

.5 tsp pepper

1 TB Garlic powder (or a bit less?)

1TB onion powder

3TB brown sugar

1.5 tsp salt

½ cup water

1 cup OJ (no pulp)

3tsp soy

3tsp liquid smoke

1 ⅓ cup teriyaki sauce

3 TB Honey

¾ cup cola

Chili Lime Jerky

3TB brown sugar

1.5 tsp salt

¼ cup lime juice

¼ cup chili garlic sauce

3 TB soy sayuce

3 TB worcestishire sauce

1TB liquid smoke

¼ tst lime zest (more!)

C&B ! Baby! Where have you been hiding? Long time no see . . .

It's not cannibalism as long as it all takes place in the state of CA, right?

soliver

Edited by Soliver, 28 November 2018 - 04:11 PM.

• WalkingCatfish likes this

#10 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for posting the recipes, Soliver! I'm looking forward to trying those.

#11 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

It's been a long wait but I got it done tonight. 9 points, decent rack, heavy body - maybe 180 and a very long drag back to the vehicle

very tired but very happy :)

• Soliver, Juthro and OldBear like this

#12 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,135 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:29 PM

I don't shoot anything out of reach of the 4 wheeler or directly uphill from said vehicle . . .

I've tried gutting in the field but always seem to make a mess of it - spoiled by the gambil I guess.

Congrats on the shot - I'm gonna harvest one more during the xmas season & that'll have us covered for (non-human / Alder) flesh for the next year; I think I may keep the hide on this next one and see if I can't do something weird with it as well.

soliver

#13 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:04 PM

you could practice some animal husbandry with  it   :ohmy: :wacko:

• Alder Logs likes this

#14 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 6,982 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:11 PM

Soliver there is no fucking way I can eat liver no matter how it is prepped!

It's got to be those childhood liver and onion days that ruined me for life. My stepdad tried to make me eat that shit and as I tried to chew it I gagged and it was not pretty at the supper table!

I only use liver to catch catfish!

• Soliver, Alder Logs and Juthro like this

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,765 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:34 PM

Isn't childhood liver supposed to be more tender?  Better ask Sol.

• roc, Soliver and Juthro like this

#16 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,135 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:26 PM

It would make sense, but it'd be a shame to eat a child's liver when I can get easy 2K for a fresh one on the underground organ market ... toss in the kidneys and corneas?  Forget about it - if I had access to parts like that, it'd be filet mignon every night and I'd only hunt deer to keep me sharp for my meeting with Older Legs ...

Isn't childhood liver supposed to be more tender?  Better ask Sol.

soliver

• roc likes this

#17 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:37 PM

You crack me up So!

What you need to do with that head is make some nice Scrapple! My ma used to make it out of hog heads, but I bet venison scrapple would be good eating... you would probably have to add fat to it, but it would be great with eggs at breakfast.
  • Soliver likes this

#18 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,135 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

Man, scrapple is a lot of work for food that's just barely edible.  The scrapple you get from the store is the shit they wouldn't put into sausage, ground up and mixed with corn meal, cooled and cut into blocks ...

What you're talking about reminds me more of head cheese, which isn't cheese so much as a disgusting homemade jello made from boiling a pig head for a very, very long time, shredding everything but the bones, and pouring into a mold and cut into blocks.

Truly sick shit IMO.  I've eaten enough of it to know.  It should be illegal to call it 'cheese.'  Ugh.

Even 5-10 years ago I'd see head cheese in the supermarket ... it's been awhile.  Funny there's no more market for that?   :)

soliver

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#19 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,765 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

I thought head cheese was something uncircumcised guys got. 

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#20 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:43 AM

Well Sol, I like scrapple regardless of what it is made of.  And I regularly make bone broth out of anything that has bones (usually chicken or turkey), Scrapple is (as you say) essentially pork bone broth, gelatin, and bits of pork that hold together a nice cornmeal and sage glob, sliced, fried and paired with eggs - mmmm!   :tongue:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!