• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 04:08 AM

I started two 1/2 pint liquid culture projects 9 days ago. One is Karo, the other is honey. They're both sharing a magnetic stirrer, so they each get about 12 hours on everyday. The honey looks yellowish, I believe this is caramelization? They both got some fiber like thingies floating but no puff. Are they ready to use for inoculation? If yes, should I add a drop or two of peroxide before inoculating a test jar?

Edited by TheArchangel, 27 November 2018 - 04:09 AM.

#2 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,337 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:39 AM

I'd wipe the SHIP with alcohol and/or bleach, then raw up a syringe and put 1-2ccs in a test jar. And wait a week.

I am interested in how the honey one goes.

Edited by scott_1971_h, 27 November 2018 - 05:40 AM.

• Cue and CatsAndBats like this

#3 Tillidis

Tillidis

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:44 AM

There's no need to keep them on the stirring plate continually.    Stir them each for a minute or two a day, just enough to keep the mycelium from clumping and replace the dissolved oxygen in the liquids.   The constant stirring probably won't hurt the LC in the long run- maybe slow it down because it's difficult to grow while spinning around a jar all day- but it will burn up your spin plate really quickly.    

Edited by Tillidis, 27 November 2018 - 05:44 AM.

• sandman and CatsAndBats like this

#4 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,396 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:05 AM

Once a long time ago I did some PE LCs with continuous stirring. It grew the craziest looking mycelium ever seen, it looked like thousands of naval mines like little spikey balls, all very uniform. Crazy stuff. I was using those small star type stir bars though.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#5 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:33 PM

These are "1 inch bars. I did see an old post from someone who made an experiment and concluded that the jar that was continuously stirring the LC grew faster.

Any thoughts on the peroxide?

These are APE, by the way.

Also when is it time to store the LC jars in the fridge?

Edited by TheArchangel, 27 November 2018 - 03:33 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:06 PM

These are "1 inch bars. I did see an old post from someone who made an experiment and concluded that the jar that was continuously stirring the LC grew faster.

I don't see a point in peroxide, it's already at 3% out of the bottle and adding it to what I'm assuming is a quart of LC would further dilute it. Plus why?

One can estimate when an LC is done when the myc occupies approximately the volume of whatever the food source was. So if one made a 4% dextrose LC, when the myc looks like it's about 4% of the volume of the container, it has consumed the sugar and is done growing. So basically when it stops growing. :tongue:

• PJammer24 likes this

#7 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,287 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:19 PM

I liked honey/karo mix. Also, using distilled water helps cut down on carmelization.

Just sayin.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#8 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:27 PM

I liked honey/karo mix. Also, using distilled water helps cut down on carmelization.

Just sayin.

What he's not mentioning is that he likes the honey/karo for other reasons.

Hi cue!

Edited by CatsAndBats, 27 November 2018 - 10:28 PM.

#9 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,337 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:05 AM

If I had APE as an LC, I'd discreetly skip the test jar, innoculate the biggest bag of grain I could lay my hands on, (use the bag as a test jar) and if it was OK I'd go straight to bulk, aiming to get tray after tray of 4-oz, lovelies...

#10 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:48 PM

I wish I could send out sample of my Lcs to help a brotha out. Got Ape and PEU going great. Also have about 10 other varieties too lol.
  • CatsAndBats and TheArchangel like this

#11 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:42 PM

Just sayin.

Hey I wouldn't mind doing that if you could share a recipe... :)

If I had APE as an LC, I'd discreetly skip the test jar, innoculate the biggest bag of grain I could lay my hands on, (use the bag as a test jar) and if it was OK I'd go straight to bulk, aiming to get tray after tray of 4-oz, lovelies...

I got two spawn bags and I was going to do just that with the honey LC but after looking closely I don't think these LC jars are ready. I've put them in an incubation chamber to see if the reason was due to lower temps than recommended. I'll take a look at the jars in 4 days to see if there has been any progress.

I'm about to innoculate two other honey LCs with B+ and GT unless you guys have something to say.

Thanks for joining me in this project. The reason I'm inclining on using honey is cause I've read reports that it grows faster?

Edited by TheArchangel, 28 November 2018 - 04:51 PM.

#12 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:56 PM

Forgot to mention that I'm using distilled water and PCing at 15psi for 15min for the new jars I made. Previous were PCed for 30 min.

Edited by TheArchangel, 28 November 2018 - 05:56 PM.

#13 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:23 PM

I know advertising is frowned upon, but this stuff is amazing. Full thick colonization everywhere within 10 or 12 days. Blows anything I have ever mixed myself out the water, with no caramelization. I'll post a pic in a min.

Worth every penny...

http://out-grow.com/...emix-p-326.html

#14 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:13 PM

I know advertising is frowned upon, but this stuff is amazing. Full thick colonization everywhere within 10 or 12 days. Blows anything I have ever mixed myself out the water, with no caramelization. I'll post a pic in a min.

Worth every penny...

Oh! thanks for that. I'm getting it. May experience help me learn a successful mix.

#15 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:43 PM

Typical results. This is before a shake.

It's P. Tampanensis BTW and will colonize a quart in less than 10 days, no shake.

It took about 12 days from MS to looking like that. I love this stuff.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181128_194019.jpg

• TheArchangel likes this

#16 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,337 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:55 AM

There's no need to keep them on the stirring plate continually.    Stir them each for a minute or two a day, just enough to keep the mycelium from clumping and replace the dissolved oxygen in the liquids.   The constant stirring probably won't hurt the LC in the long run- maybe slow it down because it's difficult to grow while spinning around a jar all day- but it will burn up your spin plate really quickly.    

If it's spores (instead of an agar wedge) I've always left it completely unstirred for the first 4-5 days so they can germinate and start developing clamp connections without being 'pestered'. Sometimes have the jar on a slight angle so they 'fall into' other mycellium.

After the 4-5 days I'd stir it a maximum of a few hours every second day, just to break things up.

I'd be interested if anyone does anything differently, as to why they do whatever they do...

#17 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:29 PM

I completely agree with leaving it alone for the first 4 or 5 days before stirring for exactly those reasons.

#18 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:28 PM

Worth every penny...

Worth every penny...

Oh! thanks for that. I'm getting it. May experience help me learn a successful mix.

What's in it? I can't imagine that it's anything one can't make at home.

#19 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:30 PM

If it's spores (instead of an agar wedge) I've always left it completely unstirred for the first 4-5 days so they can germinate and start developing clamp connections without being 'pestered'. Sometimes have the jar on a slight angle so they 'fall into' other mycellium.

After the 4-5 days I'd stir it a maximum of a few hours every second day, just to break things up.

I'd be interested if anyone does anything differently, as to why they do whatever they do...

I completely agree with leaving it alone for the first 4 or 5 days before stirring for exactly those reasons.

Germinating spores in LC will increase one's contamination rate IMHO.

• Tillidis likes this

#20 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:30 PM

Probably, but it goes a long way and works. No guessing. Even if I could mix it myself it's just so convenient...

I'm sure Mike would answer if I asked.

And yes, people say using spores adds risk, but I've only had 1 out of about 18 jars of LC that didnt turn out good (by good I mean they produced a clean culture, no contams). Sterile procedure of course, and the one that contaminated was on me because I forgot to flame the needle on a syringe that had only the last 1.5cc in it I had been saving for the purpose. Oops.

If you're getting your syringes from a pro, they should be sterile, and therefore successful. That's my experience at least, and even I'm surprised I'm successful at often, but it works for me consistently. Look at my threads. Almost all were done with MS to LC to grain or BRF.

Edited by Deleena24, 29 November 2018 - 03:39 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!