14 replies to this topic

#1 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:24 PM

Hey friends,

I got some questions about Wheat Berries. So I've been experimenting with different grains and I'm really honing in my Teks with different ones. Other then one grow which failed due to some contaminated syringes I created, all other grows thus far have been 100% successful.

I've worked with Rye berries (which I love), WBS (which I hate), and Popcorn (meh). My best grow so far was the rye berries but they are really expensive for me to locate in my area. I can find them cheap but shipping is always super expensive litterally doubling the price.

I found a great source of WHEAT BERRIES which includes free shipping. $22 for 26lbs.

I can get Hard Red Wheat Berries and Hard White Wheat Berries for around the same price.

This is by far the cheapest 'berry type' grain I can get in my area. Has anyone had success with this stuff. I want something that is easy to clean & straight foward to prep. Would you recommend Red or White? Is the Tek the same as Rye Berries?

Here is a picture of the stuff. I found it at Walmart.com w/ free shipping over $35

I have some spawn that is about ready for a grain to grain transfer so if anyone has experience let me know.

As always Many Thanks,
MM

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,340 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:42 PM

i have used wheat before.

it works

prep is similar to rye

some feel rye does better 

but it was cheep for me when i was growing and selling wheatgrass to a local market.  

Other then that i just use racing horse oats from the feed store.  15-20$ for 50 # bag

• raymycoto likes this

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,425 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:02 PM

I like wheat berries because I feel that it help the myc to produce the enzymes and polysacharides to make the lead to straw a bit smoother. I dont do anything different with wheat as I do rye. I get soft golden locally from the grocery store for $0.49lb and it performs just as rye does. I've the hard wheats and they worked well too but I had to increase the amount of water from 2/3 c water per 1 c of wheat to 3/4 c water per c of wheat. Your mileage may vary though. I would start with the same ratios as your rye tek and add more water only if needed.  

#4 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:49 PM

With any prep I do the amount of water doesnt matter as long as the grains are fully covered. By the time they go into jars or bags to PC the grain looks pretty much dry on the outside, but can be easily split with your fingernail to expose a soft inside.

IME if the grains LOOK wet, they're too wet. Some sweat in the jar is ok though.

Remember, you can always put a bit of verm on the bottom of a jar to absorb excess moisture. This helps if you slightly overcook the grain.

#5 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 04:44 PM

Great that makes me feel better. So it sounds like most Rye Berry teks should work. I'm gonna pull the trigger and get some. I think I'll try 26lb of the hard red wheat berries, prep it, then attempt some grain to grain transfers from there.

#6 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,201 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:52 PM

I love wheat berries.. here is tek i made up, though i dump everything in one bucket vs. the jars in the tek  https://mycotopia.ne...ct-wheat-berry/

#7 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:28 AM

THANK YOU!!! I was looking for that Tek, I know I've seen it before. I've been doing my grains in buckets too.

Wal-Mart is comming in clutch on the Hard Red Wheat berries. For all those people out there that say. Where do I buy grains or I can't find rye berries in my area, this is a great alternative.

Sure I can get rye berries for Under a dollar per pound HOWEVER shipping 50 lb bags is $35-$45.

With our corporate overlord friends at walmart $22 gets me 26 lbs with free shipping to any Walmart OR free shipping to any address in the USA if the order is over $35

They have red and white wheat berries. With the white being a little bit more expensive. I just ordered 52lbs for $44 and they have it sealed in thick plastic buckets garunteed for to stay viable for 30 years in storage as long as it's factory sealed.

I think it's marketed to dooms day preppers lol.

If anyone is like me looking for reasonably priced grains then the brand is AUGASON FARMS - Hard Red Wheat Berries at Walmart.com
  • wharfrat likes this

#8 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,396 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:43 AM

You can actually get wheat "berries" at the local feed/farm store for like $12 for 50 lbs. It works great it's my second favorite grain next to milo. Much cheaper to get it as animal feed than human food.

Edited by sandman, 28 November 2018 - 01:44 AM.

#9 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:29 AM

I called for rye berries which our local Farmer Co-Op doesn't carry. I never tried for the wheat berries I'll call them after I get close to running through this batch.

#10 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:41 PM

Man, living in a big city makes it hard to find feed stores lol. No cows or horses in Chicagoland. Gotta drive at least an hour south to get to the farmlands.

Actually, now that I think of it, there is a cow farm that is only used for kids field trips now. I bet they'd have some spare piles of poo AND feed. It's about 10 min from my house.

#11 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,396 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:08 PM

Many big cities still farm/feed stores. At least chain type farm stores like Tractor Supply, but TS may not carry good old milo or wheat but they do have oats for sure.

#12 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,396 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:13 PM

I just looked there are many feed stores near Chicago. Teds Feed Store, Ludwigs feed store, Greyslake Feed Sales, Johnsen's Farm & Country Store etc are all within a reasonable distance of Chicago plus many more around the same distance. I love farm/feed stores there is very few places I would rather be. Just my kinda place.

Edited by sandman, 28 November 2018 - 09:17 PM.

#13 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:41 PM

Huh, never even knew. I have a 20lb bag of organic rye berries, so I'm good for now.

Actually I have 8 qts of rye, 12 1lb bags of rye, and 15 3lb bags of milo, and 2 3lb all-in-one bags ready to knock up right as we speak, so I won't be touching that for a while either....Lmao. I'm sick I know 60lbs of sterile spawn ready to go and I'm already thinking ahead haha

#14 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,425 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:59 PM

Huh, never even knew. I have a 20lb bag of organic rye berries, so I'm good for now.

Actually I have 8 qts of rye, 12 1lb bags of rye, and 15 3lb bags of milo, and 2 3lb all-in-one bags ready to knock up right as we speak, so I won't be touching that for a while either....Lmao. I'm sick I know 60lbs of sterile spawn ready to go and I'm already thinking ahead haha

Lol Mike @ Outgrow sends his love and appreciation! 

• sandman likes this

#15 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:47 AM

Lol Mike @ Outgrow sends his love and appreciation!

Mike is the man! Haha. I especially love his bags of crap.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!