5 replies to this topic

#1 Somniferos

Somniferos

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:59 AM

Anybody growing Cacti?

There's so many hybrid seeds available its amazing. I cant order plants at this time of year where I'm at, I'm going to be starting from seed indoors under my HPS light system. Planning to move them outdoors in the spring.

I got Echinopsis peruvianus 'Collana Roja' (Collana is located close to Matucana)

and Echinopsis Peruvianus Var. Matucana

Red spines can be longer or short and diverges with the blueish skin of the cactus making a nice look to the plant,

red spines are common among Matucanoids of Matucana Valley.

If you want to grow legitimite Peruvianus then Matucana are the variety you want.

I think Magic Cacti has a lot of novelty and i think its ornamental qualities are symbolical. Every rose has its thorns. I have a fearful respect for Cacti my experience from mushrooms.

Edited by Somniferos, 29 November 2018 - 02:00 AM.

#2 Somniferos

Somniferos

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:08 AM

The Matucana

291-BK08612-576x1024.jpg

ICARO-DNA-Rod-2.jpg

Edited by Somniferos, 29 November 2018 - 02:37 AM.

• PsyBearknot and Skywatcher like this

#3 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:44 AM

Sorry, what does landrace have to do with any other content of the post????

#4 Somniferos

Somniferos

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:12 PM

Sorry, what does landrace have to do with any other content of the post????

Hello! :tongue:

Originally they were collected from Wild/Cultivated plants growing in Matucanna Peru. I think the lines may be considered landrace originally if they haven't been crossbreed although the descent may be narrow as a result of limited plant specimens during open pollinations down the line.

Edited by Somniferos, 29 November 2018 - 04:59 PM.

#5 Somniferos

Somniferos

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:39 PM

I would change the thread title. I'm very excited about cacti. Any cacti is welcome. I think cacti is probably the easiest vision plant one may grow. Going to be starting seed soon. Grafting sounds fun may grow Pereskiopsis at some point.

Can somebody help me identify the collana roja? The seller i bought the seeds from has listed images from the trichocereus website matucan macrogonus page. The image is named trichocereus peruvianus but its on a matucan macrogonus page.

This is the image the seller used

Trichocereus-peruvianus-Collana-pichu-28

#6 Somniferos

Somniferos

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:34 PM

Definitely its a 6 ribbed peruviana, macrogona is synonymous.

Very passionate about them. Would like to learn and share my experience from seed to plant. Wonderful cacti. Because landrace parallels with hybrid i guess its not very much relative considering. I'm getting variation from seed rather than clone. I'm very much looking forward to growing with cacti.

• invisibilitysyndrome likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!