210 replies to this topic

#181 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:09 PM

No reason not to try cloning fresh mushrooms. Shop around and you can probably find shiitake, oysters, enoki. Maybe others. Some Asian Grocery stores carry king Oysters.
  • DanceOfBliss likes this

#182 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:35 PM

I’ve never heard of doing it with cakes, just with grains, so I’m not sure. I don’t think the dunk water would be clean enough.

No way I would use dunk water as inoculant!! It's getting dirty and has very mushroom tissue I imagine.

And yes, dunk in the jars. Super simple and use tap water unless yours is really bad. We've had this discussion before. Some folks have well water or even city water that's not so clean but for the most part tap water will work. The minerals are not likely to be problematic.

No reason not to try cloning fresh mushrooms. Shop around and you can probably find shiitake, oysters, enoki. Maybe others. Some Asian Grocery stores carry king Oysters.

What JK said. I tried a porabella once and it worked. I never did anything with the clone but it grew on agar. Prob best to find out what the growing process is for the particular mushroom. Many mushrooms will only grow in nature or at least outside. I'm guessing most store bought ones will grow in the lab and I'm eager to get into edible and medicinal ones.

Plus...I did my first Agar plates today!!! I sealed them with micropore tape. Is that correct?
I even did a couple clones, one of a Baby Bella from the grocery. Why not?

Way to go, DanceO' !!

MP tape can work but I've gone to just using saran wrap. There is enough gas in the plate to last a month and you probably won't be letting it go that long and I'm beginning to think saran has a tiny bit of gas permeability.

The other easy thing to do it to put your plates into ziplocks. So easy!!

#183 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

I’ve never heard of doing it with cakes, just with grains, so I’m not sure. I don’t think the dunk water would be clean enough.

No way I would use dunk water as inoculant!! It's getting dirty and has very mushroom tissue I imagine.

And yes, dunk in the jars. Super simple and use tap water unless yours is really bad. We've had this discussion before. Some folks have well water or even city water that's not so clean but for the most part tap water will work. The minerals are not likely to be problematic.

He was asking specifically about using dunk water as inoculent and that would not work, but people use grains or cakes to make myc 'slurries', but rinse water would contam, unless you used filtered jar lids with SHIP that never get opened after inoculation and use the SHIP to shoot sterile water over the cake, that would work. I do water my cannabis plants with dunk water from cakes/bulk subs.

Edited by Billcoz, 15 March 2019 - 08:17 AM.

#184 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:58 PM

564eb94fbafab2b0b4858433fb454ebb.jpg
Is this good? I just drilled half inch holes. Mostly wondering if this is enough. 2lbs sub, 1.5 qts spawn.
  • Billcoz likes this

#185 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:47 PM

Pobably not enough substrate. Ratios need to be by volume, not that it can't be by wieght, but generally its spoken of by volume. Can't really state for sure when you're trying to relate pounds to quarts. If that's a 6 quart tub, you're barely 1:1. It can still work, just a little shallow for cubes and you're still going to need to mist and fan that.
  • raymycoto and Billcoz like this

#186 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:08 PM

Nice looking dub tub. Perhaps one more hole on each long side but that's just splitting hairs and I'm no expert either.

But, shouldn't he be letting it colonize first with, for ex, a solid cover. Then go to this stellar dub tub mode at full colonization in 10-14 days? Sorry, this is basic stuff but I've screwed around with so many variations, I don't recall the most basic instruction for this. I do know that my colonizing sub does well with a slightly loose, solid cover that comes with the bins. I do have some MP covered holes in my bins but it has worked without them as well. I have been doing a somewhat different variation for fruiting mode but yours looks good but it might need tighter restriction on GE.

And as JK said, your spawn ratio might be a bit low but perhaps not, esp if things are aggressive and clean.

I have gone toward higher spawn ratios these days. It also provides really nutrient dense substrate with plenty of grain so that's another bonus using lots of spawn. So many ways to do it. Hardly any 'rules'. You will learn what works!

• Billcoz likes this

#187 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:35 PM

I always start dub tub style tubs with the lid on till pinning, then add the top half. My tubs smaller than six quarts are nearly full. With 6 quart (shoebox style) that can be deeper than I like, so lower box is similar to his design, but I bring the substrate up to just below where the FAE holes are in the above design.

I like some FAE happening right at substrate level.

I didn't want to sound overly critical.

If this were mine, as is, I'm too lazy to try and redo the substrate, I'd just drop a piece of bubble wrap on it and leave it as is.

#188 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:38 PM

Nothing really wrong with a 1:1. That's just a pretty big box for that amount of substrate.

#189 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

For whatever reason, the sub I bought came in pounds and not by volume. I’m probably too lazy to redo the whole thing, so I’ll try to dig up some bubble wrap. I did flatten it more so it’ll have a better pinset. The spawn was solidly colonized, hopefully that’s helpful.

#190 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:04 AM

What size are those totes? 6qt or 16 qt?

#191 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

What size are those totes? 6qt or 16 qt?

16qt

Edited by DanceOfBliss, 17 March 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#192 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:51 PM

I have 6qt laying around, I was meaning to use those. I guess that will be next. Hopefully this box does well anyways. I can just put the lid on it.

#193 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:55 PM

4a4a53b8fe3d0794e5c2cd7e3b26a45d.jpg
There is a slight difference between 6 and 16
  • jkdeth likes this

#194 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 01:02 PM

16 is bit different. Seldom see dubtubs over 6 quarts. At that size, you could have just put some holes in the lid rather than using a second tub. Again it can still work. Just mind your humidity and FAE and you get mushrooms.

#195 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

I use the 16 qt. Costco has 6 for around $15. It seems to be a good size. Bigger becomes unwieldy if you need to move or stack them. And my one attempt to 'go big' resulted in some problems so I'm liking the 16 qt.

You  put the entire dub tub into a black trash bag and keep it loosely sealed. It will still get enough free air through the plastic and leaks but it will limit excessive FAE that it might not be ready for. Or just put the original top onto the bin.

#196 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:13 PM

I always start dub tub style tubs with the lid on till pinning, then add the top half. My tubs smaller than six quarts are nearly full. With 6 quart (shoebox style) that can be deeper than I like, so lower box is similar to his design, but I bring the substrate up to just below where the FAE holes are in the above design.

I like some FAE happening right at substrate level.

I didn't want to sound overly critical.

If this were mine, as is, I'm too lazy to try and redo the substrate, I'd just drop a piece of bubble wrap on it and leave it as is.

Hey jK, I know you like to let your myc 'decide' when to fruit by itself before you put it in fruiting conditions, but how long does it usually take your tubs to colonize and pin after spawning?

#197 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:45 PM

Never really pay attention to the time. Around two weeks I'd guess. Some more, some less.

#198 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

I suspected they were bigger than we all thought LOL. With that size tub it looks like the sub is about 3 or 4 in thick? If so that's good bc we all thought it was thinner.

Also good bc theres more volume for air, so I think it will work okay, though I do like my holes closer to the substrate. Otherwise good luck :)

#199 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 562 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:01 PM

Dollar General has a 5 pack of six Qrt  off brand plastic shoe boxes  good for small dub-tubs for $4 . BigLOTS have  good Sterlight  totes but there different than Sterlight at wal-world and dollar store there more clear and nice flat clear lids . and of course THRIFTY Price

#200 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:33 PM

It is less than 2” but I put a lid on it.
Am I seeing growth in this agar dish?!
dddb55f7103e0d2ee418d8820db8ed7d.jpg59e1bacba237d5a0b8e17dc52826ba44.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!