210 replies to this topic

#61 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 06:54 PM

I was going to say it was trich right away, but didnt want to end up being wrong and looking like a jackass.

#62 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:48 PM

My first invitro pin and my bulk is coming along nicely. All 4 jars of corn have fuzz, this one is growing the fastest.
d421ae9ba4de5a3f0a6ab94d1a410d86.jpg1940e00c182ffff0f47d4ed80a7965d0.jpg

#63 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:51 PM

I think I’m going to do the DE casing on that cake. It says to follow a terrarium tek. Would using 2 plastic Tupperware taped together, 4 1/4in holes with polyfill, no fanning work?

#64 Turdly81

Turdly81

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:51 PM

Nice! Isnt it exciting to see a pin all the sudden. Lol
  • DanceOfBliss likes this

#65 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:35 AM

How long did it take for the pin to show up in-vitro? I've had 2 p-corn pints fully colonized for a couple weeks and they are not pinning(actually I just spawned em today). 

DoB, I tried some cakes with, and without verm, and a couple DECs where I left the sides bare, and they pinned from the top and bottom, but not the sides, just my exp, but I got better flushes from the fully verm-coated cakes, but give it a shot.

#66 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:41 AM

How long did it take for the pin to show up in-vitro? I've had 2 p-corn pints fully colonized for a couple weeks and they are not pinning(actually I just spawned em today).

That cake is just a BRF cake, it took exactly one month to pin. I will definitely take your advice and roll the whole think in verm. Since it’s a tall half pint just the top and bottom isn’t enough surface area to get much from just the ends.

#67 Turdly81

Turdly81

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:52 PM

DoB, I tried some cakes with, and without verm, and a couple DECs where I left the sides bare, and they pinned from the top and bottom, but not the sides, just my exp, but I got better flushes from the fully verm-coated cakes, but give it a shot.

Ive never seen corn pin. I didnt know that it would actually without the sub. Should it?

#68 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:00 PM

Ive never seen corn pin. I didnt know that it would actually without the sub. Should it?

I thought it was p-corn but it was a brf cake, I was asking how long it took to pin because my p-corn was fully colonized for almost 2 weeks and never did.

I don't know if it would eventually though, have you heard that popcorn will not pin?

Edited by Billcoz, 31 December 2018 - 02:02 PM.

#69 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:05 PM

I've heard of it pinning, but have never had it happen for me, even after sitting fully colonized for several weeks.

Probably the lucky draw of genetics.

#70 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:13 PM

DanceOfBliss

Posted Today, 09:41 AM

Billcoz, on 31 Dec 2018 - 02:35 AM, said:

That cake is just a BRF cake, it took exactly one month to pin. I will definitely take your advice and roll the whole think in verm. Since it’s a tall half pint just the top and bottom isn’t enough surface area to get much from just the ends.

You'd really be surprised just how many mushies can grow from ONE end of a tall half pint.

Those are 2 MS Chitwan cakes. The only casing is the vermiculite I couldn't wash off before the first dunk. Go figure

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181026_141603.jpg
  • 20181102_103911.jpg

Edited by Deleena24, 31 December 2018 - 02:16 PM.

• Billcoz and DanceOfBliss like this

#71 Turdly81

Turdly81

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

That is pretty. Is that the one I voted for last week?

#72 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:25 PM

Yeah my experience of the verm coated cakes producing better could be due to other factors, some people like to roll em and some don;t, and some like to coat the ends only, I have seen pics of them all flushing great, or shitily, so do what you think is best, I was just giving my subjective experience(I have to be clear that so JkDeth don't give me shit about my anecdotal evidence lol, seems like he likes to do that).

#73 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:49 PM

I often don't birth cakes till loaded well invitro, dunk and roll after first flush.

#74 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:47 PM

I think my cakes grow so well bc of my supercharged PMP. I have a double 40 gallon pump running 2 16in bubblers along with an additional 40 gallon pump in a small cup for additional FAE. This is in a setup big enough for only a dozen cakes, so the humidity is 99% and the FAE is constant.

#75 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:39 PM

Hey, have you ever seen popcorn jars pin in-vitro? We discussed not ever seeing it pin and I'm curious what you think JK.

#76 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:40 PM

Hey, have you ever seen popcorn jars pin in-vitro? We discussed not ever seeing it pin and I'm curious what you think JK.

Damn I fucked that up, I was tryin to edit and somehow made another post, I don't know how to delete it, oh well.

Edited by Billcoz, 31 December 2018 - 07:44 PM.

#77 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:00 PM

Hey DOB, do you mind if I ask what your process is for making popcorn for spawn? Do you just dump it in the PC dry and cook/hydrate it, or do you soak it at all? Gypsum?

I personally soak for 12 hrs after trying twice and having it turn out not quite hydrated but cooked well, to the point where it was getting orangish, and after cooling it was hard, and rattled in the jar like it was raw.

I soak for 12 then rinse and PC, straight in with gypsum for 20-25, then let it sit in a strainer for like 20 min, 15psi, then dump it onto a rig I made to dry stuff with suspended window screen, let it cool, then load the jars and PC 90 at15psi.

When I do this it seems perfect, it is not hard and not all splitting, and I get no gooey starch or water.

all eight Iv'e done like this colonized to 100% in 10-14 days from agar wedges. 

How do you guys do popcorn specifically

Edited by Billcoz, 31 December 2018 - 08:03 PM.

#78 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:03 PM

My popcorn always seems to pin fast if I don't spawn it soon after full colonization. This last batch faster than any. Could be genetics though. Last time I used popcorn, it was the Malabar strain from Mycotopians, very aggressive and amazing fruiter. This time is Orissa India, not sure about this one yet, but it threw pins fast on both birdseed and popcorn.

I've had oats, about an inch and a half in a quart jar, that grew fruits, but took a couple weeks to pin.

I have to add sometimes early pinning is due to contamination, that usually happens before full colonization, these look really clean.
  • Billcoz likes this

#79 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:16 PM

Some do popcorn differently, but I think popcorn really benefits from the overnight soak. I bring water to a boil, throw popcorn in, turn it off and let sit overnight.

Pour it off and rinse the next day. Then more water and boil for 15 to 20 minutes. That usually brings it pretty close, you should be able to push your finger nail through a kernel, I'll simmer a bit if I think it needs it. I drain hot, and stir and turn to steam off excess water. I don't go through all a lot of trouble drying, just toss and let it sit and drain after it cools.

I always pc 2 hrs and leave overnight. Shake the shit out of fresh out of the pc. If it looks too wet, I'll shake it every few hours until it doesn't.

#80 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

Hey DOB, do you mind if I ask what your process is for making popcorn for spawn? Do you just dump it in the PC dry and cook/hydrate it, or do you soak it at all? Gypsum?

I personally soak for 12 hrs after trying twice and having it turn out not quite hydrated but cooked well, to the point where it was getting orangish, and after cooling it was hard, and rattled in the jar like it was raw.

I soak for 12 then rinse and PC, straight in with gypsum for 20-25, then let it sit in a strainer for like 20 min, 15psi, then dump it onto a rig I made to dry stuff with suspended window screen, let it cool, then load the jars and PC 90 at15psi.

When I do this it seems perfect, it is not hard and not all splitting, and I get no gooey starch or water.

all eight Iv'e done like this colonized to 100% in 10-14 days from agar wedges.

How do you guys do popcorn specifically

12 hr soak with gypsum and some weak coffee, 30 minute simmer or until I can easily crush it between my thumbnail and finger.

Dont rinse after, just strain, the heat from the simmer helps them dry after you spread them around. The surface should be dry enough that when you stick your hand in it no grains stick, they should feel and look pretty much dry when they're ready.

Load em and PC for 90 min. I'll try and find the tek I started with.

The coffee was something I only did for stones, but saw even my cubes grew faster when I put some in the soak.

Edited by Deleena24, 01 January 2019 - 11:54 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!