210 replies to this topic

#81 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:56 PM

I used to do second run coffee soak on all grains, stopped doing it when trying to track a stubborn contamination problem. Not because I thought the coffee was the problem, but just to keep things with as few variables as possible. Contaminate ended up tracing back to spore solution that had previously worked fine.
  • Deleena24 likes this

#82 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:32 PM

This is my first go at the popcorn tek. I soaked for 24 hours but wasn’t ready to PC so I drained and rinsed, then threw it in the fridge for a day. I simmered on the stove for close to an hour, scraping the starch off the water every so often. Some split, I don’t know if that’s an issue, but they seemed the right consistency. I rinsed well and threw them in the jars with some vermiculite to absorb any extra moisture. PC an hour and a half then inoculated them in a glove box the next morning. I shook them every day for the first 5ish days then let them sit because I realized I shouldn’t be shaking them. I shook them again today and 2 are getting close to full colonization.
I feel like my “glove box” has been working well. I didn’t cut holes in it. I have it hanging off the table so I can reach in under to do the inoculation. I don’t flame the needles in between jars, but I do wipe them down with rubbing alcohol.

#83 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:44 AM

My popcorn always seems to pin fast if I don't spawn it soon after full colonization. This last batch faster than any. Could be genetics though. Last time I used popcorn, it was the Malabar strain from Mycotopians, very aggressive and amazing fruiter. This time is Orissa India, not sure about this one yet, but it threw pins fast on both birdseed and popcorn.

I've had oats, about an inch and a half in a quart jar, that grew fruits, but took a couple weeks to pin.

I have to add sometimes early pinning is due to contamination, that usually happens before full colonization, these look really clean.

Ya know, the cakes  & tubs ive spawned from the B+ ms syringe I started with have all seemed to take a long time, , so maybe it's the genetics like you said, but then again, it was ms, so IDK.

My jars were sitting at about 65-75F in a cube shaped 24pk mountain dew can box that did let in a tiny bit of light, lids have a 1/4" GE hole covered in 3 pieces of micropore, 2 outside and 1 inside, do yo think it might have been getting not enough GE to pin  in the jar?

I haven't had a contam so I can't complain, but I hope it's getting enough to be as healthy as possible.

#84 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:53 AM

Hard to guess about GE. Mine all have polyfil now. The previous popcorn used micropore. The oats I fruited had bandaids over micropore.

#85 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:57 AM

Some do popcorn differently, but I think popcorn really benefits from the overnight soak. I bring water to a boil, throw popcorn in, turn it off and let sit overnight.

Pour it off and rinse the next day. Then more water and boil for 15 to 20 minutes. That usually brings it pretty close, you should be able to push your finger nail through a kernel, I'll simmer a bit if I think it needs it. I drain hot, and stir and turn to steam off excess water. I don't go through all a lot of trouble drying, just toss and let it sit and drain after it cools.

I always pc 2 hrs and leave overnight. Shake the shit out of fresh out of the pc. If it looks too wet, I'll shake it every few hours until it doesn't.

I have this hamper rack thing with a cloth "hammock" for old linens that we were throwing out so I cut the cloth off and cleaned in with bleach and replaced the cloth with a screen to dry grain, and it can work to lay a pillowcase full of wet, just pasteurized substrate(haven't used it for that yet) to get to field cap. I made it is adjustable so it can spread it out or bundle it up. 

Edited by Billcoz, 02 January 2019 - 03:57 AM.

#86 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:20 AM

This is my first go at the popcorn tek. I soaked for 24 hours but wasn’t ready to PC so I drained and rinsed, then threw it in the fridge for a day. I simmered on the stove for close to an hour, scraping the starch off the water every so often. Some split, I don’t know if that’s an issue, but they seemed the right consistency. I rinsed well and threw them in the jars with some vermiculite to absorb any extra moisture. PC an hour and a half then inoculated them in a glove box the next morning. I shook them every day for the first 5ish days then let them sit because I realized I shouldn’t be shaking them. I shook them again today and 2 are getting close to full colonization.
I feel like my “glove box” has been working well. I didn’t cut holes in it. I have it hanging off the table so I can reach in under to do the inoculation. I don’t flame the needles in between jars, but I do wipe them down with rubbing alcohol.

I like it, DOB. Thanks guys, I will try out your methods since I will probably be using more popcor(or wbs) due too rye being hard to get locally, and the price for popcorn costs less for small amount I will be using, rye would be cheaper in bulk.

I do like my process, on my first batch I had put it in to soak, and then I came across a thread, like a poll on whether or not to soak popcorn, and not soaking seemed to be winning when I stopped reading, but they were all talking about soaking for 24-36 hrs, and doing second soaks and stuff, so after about 12 hrs I drained it and PCed to "cook" for 20 min, drained, jarred it and PCed for 90, and it seemed fine, not hard, not splitting, and no starch or water in the jars.

I watched Willy Myco's video on p-corn lol. He convinced me to try without soakin,and it turned out hard, and rattled in the jar when shook, so I made some new jars, I still have those sealed in some freezer bags clean, I might try to use em to see if it takes longer to colonize.

#87 Turdly81

Turdly81

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:01 AM

Popcorn has worked every time for me but it takes 20 days sometimes to start growing. I did some oats and it took half the time.

#88 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:53 AM

Since you're using a spore syringe, don't shake the jars until they reach at least 15% growth.

When you shake up MS solutions, especially right after innoculation, you spread the spores around, and each one has to look further and spend more time searching for a mate. Doing so will add at least a week to the total time.

Just leave em alone until you see nice growth.

Also, if a contam appears where you know the innoculation was, it is easier to tell if it was a dirty needle or spore water since it will be below the injection port, not dispersed everywhere.
  • Billcoz and DanceOfBliss like this

#89 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:40 PM

I inoculated 3 Huatla and 4 (possibly) golden teacher (unlabeled). They settled a lot in the PC so hopefully not too much air in the top of the jars.
One of my popcorn jars looks good to go so might just G2G it.
  • Billcoz likes this

#90 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:48 PM

I inoculated 3 Huatla and 4 (possibly) golden teacher (unlabeled). They settled a lot in the PC so hopefully not too much air in the top of the jars.
One of my popcorn jars looks good to go so might just G2G it.

Why would this be a problem, unless you're using a vermiculite layer? I thought you were using popcorn? Space on top is good in that case, so you can easily shake when appropriate.

#91 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:51 PM

I don’t know how to edit the post. The jars I did today are PF tek.
  • Deleena24 likes this

#92 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:08 PM

I don’t know how to edit the post. The jars I did today are PF tek.

Now that makes sense...Good luck!
  • DanceOfBliss likes this

#93 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:58 PM

And dunking the rest of my first round of BRF cakes! I didn’t really like the ziploc dunk, so trying Tupperware with lids.b7020dcacf68a2b7d650235a3c9f6a29.jpg
  • Deleena24 likes this

#94 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:49 PM

I have a question. Is this microspore tape? It says “duraspore” on the back. I haven’t found any that specifically say microspore.
dca0fc15ee9237140d9021cdf87b9717.jpg

#95 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:55 PM

No, it is not. Its durapore, which is close.

You'll see micropore printed on the inside of the roll, where durapore is printed on those.

It will also say breathable in the description.
  • Billcoz and DanceOfBliss like this

#96 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:15 PM

6c08dbae24eebf305b211aa8186180db.jpge294cf99d639e2c1566d27996f96eab8.jpgf505c350385255cf401a8d1bb47dea7f.jpga97c724e3b4189fb75ad3a86e60ff84e.jpgf31490845b34c015d94c5c999ad72067.jpg15baaa0d52f57947e28c254302f2e4a6.jpg
Dunked in Tupperware for 24 hours.
Made a hinged double tub with duct tape.
Perlite and water plus some salt water added to help prevent growth of contamination in the perlite.
Heavy duty aluminum foil from PC with holes poked in them to let excess water drain.
Verm with distilled water added in the foils.
Rinsed cakes and rubbed some more of the bottom layer of vermiculite off.
Rolled cakes in vermiculite and patted a little extra onto the tops. The verm was dry and fell off easily.
Stuck cakes onto the foil with verm.
Misted and fanned.
Now I will mist and fan about 4x’s or more a day and hope for a good amount of mushies!

#97 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:19 AM

The micropore tape is the papery feeling tape made by 3M/Nexcare. The plastic tape will melt in a pc, and the cloth tape is not truly micro-porous. 

• DanceOfBliss likes this

#98 Turdly81

Turdly81

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:46 AM

I had some plastic take. It made a mess out of my jars.

#99 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:24 AM

And, for Canadian growers...the equivalent 3M Nexcare product on sale around here (Quebec, Eastern Ontario) doesn't say "micropore" anywhere on the package. Look for the phrases "Gentle Paper" and "Ruban en papier".

Edited by WalkingCatfish, 05 January 2019 - 11:24 AM.

• Billcoz likes this

#100 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:08 PM

59de4b1f521991fb35d512409fbaff92.jpg
Is it done?! I need to get some poo!
  • MycoAnt81 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!