211 replies to this topic

#161 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:38 PM

88440b844519f0125432966ce745cc18.jpg

Hey, what does this thick, foamy base to the fruits indicate about your grow? I feel like it has something to do with hydration, humidity, FAE etc. I have a bin doing that with all fruits on the second flush. There are only small fruits and some looking like the want to abort. I suspect that my bin did go through a period of dryness but I hope I have remedied that problem. And I have done a reasonable rehydration (incremental 'dunk' during the last harvest) or so I believe.

I have heard that too much FAE can make them more fuzzy at the base but these were in a bag, so not much FAE and definitely plenty of moisture.
  • MycoAnt81 likes this

#162 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:38 PM

The fuzzy stuff, you'll hear is caused by high humidity and not enough FAE. Its not a big deal though. I think it can also be genetic, I see it more often on the most aggressive colonizers.
  • Deleena24, Billcoz, DanceOfBliss and 1 other like this

#163 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:40 PM

Well shit. The kernels do look wet.
dd5dc98e474d96a4a4d9ff2e4daf12cd.jpg

#164 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:42 PM

The fuzzy stuff, you'll hear is caused by high humidity and not enough FAE. Its not a big deal though. I think it can also be genetic, I see it more often on the most aggressive colonizers.

That makes way more sense than what I said. I had it backwards. Thanks!

#165 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

Looks like a bit of metabolite there too, yellow liquid, another sign of bacteria. I would not toss them though. Mycelium is so good at fighting bacteria, labs inject E coli into living mycelium and harvest the metabolites to make an antibiotic that kills it.
  • MycoAnt81, Billcoz and DanceOfBliss like this

#166 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:51 PM

Looks like a bit of metabolite there too, yellow liquid, another sign of bacteria. I would not toss them though. Mycelium is so good at fighting bacteria, labs inject E coli into living mycelium and harvest the metabolites to make an antibiotic that kills it.

The yellowish tint may be coming from the verm with the flash. I put verm in to absorb excess water before PC’ing.

#167 Turdly81

Turdly81

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:40 PM

First pic: Weird mutations keep happening. This is GT, but I keep having it happen. No Lysol, only bleach and alcohol.
Pic 2: Ecuador...it is not nearly as white as my PESH which is in picture 3. Is it contaminated? The PESH is so pretty, thick, and stringy!
Also, I’m about to start agar!
My pressure cooker died and I bought a fancy new one that I’m looking forward to using.
0ab8d6fc5dcaeefa464edbc12bf5c163.jpg
45e7727a634a45663ef0034923352833.jpge45b06e485c120ce9ca070cc2eb1373b.jpg

I'm getting those too on my Burma. The caps keep flipping up.
  • DanceOfBliss likes this

#168 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:48 PM

Yes, as onediadem has pointed out to me before, fuzzy feet is from the myc reaching for fresh air. And do not toss that jar, it should fruit fine, and with verm in there it should help with the excess moisture.

Edited by Billcoz, 24 February 2019 - 09:52 PM.

• MycoAnt81 and DanceOfBliss like this

#169 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 590 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:17 PM

Yeah, sorry was not implying your fruits were sick re the fuzzy feet. Those looked great :smile: 

But I had no fuzzies with my good first flush then fuzzies and stunted growth. And I'm playing around with my humidity and GE so, GE or wettness makes sense. Thanks JKD.

#170 mad420pumpkinz

mad420pumpkinz

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:55 PM

Wth! They got rid of the pin dance???? :'(

Congrats on your first grow. Hope you have fruitful future flushes friend ! :)
  • MycoAnt81 and DanceOfBliss like this

#171 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

8da20db5f5d5b702afe81bd744550892.jpg

Top left was picked yesterday. Looking good! Most are Golden Teacher (which seems really strong) and one Huatla bottom right which I haven’t tried.
  • Deleena24, mad420pumpkinz, raymycoto and 2 others like this

#172 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:59 PM

Wow, nice looking flush.

#173 mad420pumpkinz

mad420pumpkinz

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:02 PM

Nice flush! (1st?) Next time you could probably fit at least another 4 cakes in that tub. I noticed when i had tubs packed with cakes. They would pin like crazzzyyy . makes a very nice microclimate .i would be pulling 1/4oz per cake 1st flush. Dry.

Good job sir :)

Sent from my LML414DL using Tapatalk

#174 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:54 PM

Nice flush! (1st?) Next time you could probably fit at least another 4 cakes in that tub. I noticed when i had tubs packed with cakes. They would pin like crazzzyyy . makes a very nice microclimate .i would be pulling 1/4oz per cake 1st flush. Dry.

Good job sir :)

Sent from my LML414DL using Tapatalk

I will definitely try that! I don’t have a lot of space, so that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#175 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:37 PM

For the myco bags, can you flip the substrate over after a few flushes? I tried it but not seeing anything yet. It might be spent.

#176 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:09 PM

For the myco bags, can you flip the substrate over after a few flushes? I tried it but not seeing anything yet. It might be spent.

Depends, if you've gotten 4 flushes it might be spent, but it might also just produce smaller more sparse flushes.

#177 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:39 PM

I saw earlier in this thread, caked dunked in some water filled tupperware sort of tubs. I tried this recently and thought it was really super easy, more space efficient and seems to work.

Use the jars they birthed from. Replace the cakes, fill with water, close the lid and soak. Does anyone see any problems with doing it this way.

attachicon.gif20190101_231738.jpg

Cake floating in the jar

attachicon.gif20190101_231608.jpg

attachicon.gif20190101_231633.jpg

So if you just put distilled water in the Tek jar, can you use that water to start grain bags or jars? I read somewhere on here about injecting cakes for mycelium water?

#178 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

I saw earlier in this thread, caked dunked in some water filled tupperware sort of tubs. I tried this recently and thought it was really super easy, more space efficient and seems to work.

Use the jars they birthed from. Replace the cakes, fill with water, close the lid and soak. Does anyone see any problems with doing it this way.

Cake floating in the jar

So if you just put distilled water in the Tek jar, can you use that water to start grain bags or jars? I read somewhere on here about injecting cakes for mycelium water?

I’ve never heard of doing it with cakes, just with grains, so I’m not sure. I don’t think the dunk water would be clean enough.

#179 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:41 PM

Cake floating in the jar

The verm in the cakes would probably clog a needle if you tried to break it up in the water, but just sqirting and aspirating water over a colonized cake would get enough live myc particles in the solution to inoculate grains with. The problem with the cakes, would be if you did not use a filtered lid, and used a jar lid with holes and a verm barrier. Usually people make myc-water or 'slurry syringes' with clean agar or grains, that have been under a filter since inoccing.

Here's a good tek(link) to make brf agar-substitute, which is perfect for making these 'myc-slurries', and you don't need a PC to sterilize these. Take a lil bit of brown rice and mix it with water, then pour it in 1/4 pint or 1/2 pint jars, only about 1/4"-1/2" inch deep. Wipe the inside walls of the jar clean before adding the lid.

Use a lid with a self healing injection port and 1/4" gas exchange hole covered with micropore tape or some sort of fiter, tyvec works. You could use just one hole in the center of the lid, like 3/8" inches, stuffed with polyfil. That will act as GE and SHIP(gas exchange/self-healing injection port). If you use the 'standard' PF lids, put micropore tape over the holes before sterilizing, and re-tape after pulling the needle out while inoculating, so no unfiltered air gets in the jar.

For each jar, fold up a paper towel into a square, about 3"x 3", put them on top of the jar lids(this helps catch steam/water, keeping it from getting in), then put squares of tin foil on them and press it around the jars to seal(I put rubber bands/hair ties around them to hold the foil tight). Put them in the pc, or a pot(with a tight lid) on top of 2 layers of jar lid rings with a tin foil layer w/holes or a spacer(the one that comes with the pc), with water up to the top of the second layer of lid rings, not quite touching the jars.

If your using a pot instead, put the lid on and wrap tinfoil around the lid seam and seal it tight to trap steam and build pressure(a tiny bit at most), bring the water to a full boil, start your timer, then reduce the burner to the lowest setting that keeps it boiling. Boil or PC for 15-20 minutes, then let it cool slowly in the pot/pc overnight. Don't take the lid off until it's completely cool, as dropping the temp of the air outside the jars while the jars are still hot will cause condensation in the jars.

This works almost as well as agar, even for seeing and transferring sectors of substrains, plus it's pretty easy to see contams, not quite as easy as with agar though. The myc should grow 2 dimentionally across the surface, as long as it is the right consistency, sort of a paste, but as stiff as jello.

You can inoculate them by dropping ONE drop of well shaken spore solution in the center(or scrape/swab from a print), or with any live culture/LC, or a myc tissue sample, just as with agar. With agar the myc might be flatter and more 2-D, which makes spotting contams easier, as they are on the surface only, and also makes it easier to spot sub-strain sectors, and agar is more transparent.

To make the 'myc slurry' syringe, take a syringe of sterile water, flame the needle, wipe the injection port/lid with alcohol, stick the needle in the port and squirt it in. Take the needle out and get another syringe of sterile water(it takes 2 syringes of water to get back 1 full of myc/water). Pull the needle out and shake the jar(try not to get the lid filter wet), thyen flame the needle and stick it back in, then aspirate it a bunch of times. Then suck it back up, pull the needle out and wipe it with alcohol, then cap the needle.

You can use it right away, but it will look like just beige water at first, but after about a month you can sort of see the myc cloud in it. This can colonize a full pint jar of popcorn(any grain) in a 7-12 days, probably a quart in 10-15 days. You can use it for cakes, grains, agar, LC, etc.

Edited by Billcoz, 14 March 2019 - 06:43 PM.

• raymycoto likes this

#180 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:16 PM

Just opened what I thought was a contam jar and was dumping it only to grab onto an actual mushroom. Guess I’ll keep that one. I’ll get at least one flush.

Plus...I did my first Agar plates today!!! I sealed them with micropore tape. Is that correct?
I even did a couple clones, one of a Baby Bella from the grocery. Why not?
  • coorsmikey likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!