12 replies to this topic

#1 Koso

Koso

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:27 AM

Greetings,

I'm hesitant to open up a new thread for it, but I couldn't find any old threads regarding this problem:

I have a 3 L polypropylene box half full with a fully colonized mycelium of GT rhizomorphic strain on horse manure and coir.

I spawned this guy from rye grain with a ratio of 3:1 on the 15th and it colonized the subsrate pretty fast - a week agothe 24th, it looked ready and I decided to give it a casing layer - couldn't find any vermiculite and made it with 1:1 perlite and coir, pasteurized.

I've been waiting for it to peak through the casing, and at some places it seems to be on its wway, but at others - I uncovered the plastic wrap on the sides of the box and saw some pinning under the casing.

Should I start to worry?

I understand, that perlite was not a wise choice for casing material, and maybe casing wasn't a wise move for this sample at all.

Any recommendations?

Has anyone ever encountered this problem before?

Should I maybe scrap off the excess layer?

Thank you for any insights!

DSC-0203.jpg

DSC-0204.jpg

DSC-0205.jpg

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,436 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:40 AM

I wouldn’t worry or much, that is what the casing is for after all. However it might benefit you to remove the casing down until you only have about a 1/4 inch evenly on top of the sub. That way you still have the microclimate for new pins but not a lot of casing to push through. Also it will make your mushrooms much easier to clean when they are mature. Not cool chewing perlite, it’s much worse than eating Verm.

Edited by coorsmikey, 05 December 2018 - 10:32 PM.

• Myc, Koso and HooKworm like this

#3 Koso

Koso

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 12:59 PM

I wouldn’t worry or much, that is what the casing for after all. However it might benefit you to remove the casing down until you only have about a 1/4 inch evenly on top of the sub. That way you still have the microclimate for new pins but not a lot of casing to push through. Also it will make your mushrooms much easier to clean when they are mature. Not cool chewing perlite, it’s much worse than eating Verm.

Many thanks!

I'll do it right-away!

Should I put it in the fruiting chamber then, or let it sit for some more at 27° C?

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,436 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:07 PM

Oh for sure! If you have pins the yeah put it to fruiting and increase fresh air. Keep the casing moist but not soaked.
  • Koso likes this

#5 HooKworm

HooKworm

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:03 PM

He’s right. Just remember to write down you methods , corrections , and anything and everything you do. For posterity.

#6 Koso

Koso

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:01 AM

Hi agian,

I have put the container in an fc as recommended, that one mushroom came out of the casing, but I'm still waiting for the others and today checked under the black cover:

DSC-0218.jpggif upload

Is there anything I can do to help these babies? *.*

#7 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:05 AM

Keep doing what you are doing.

Just let them grow and harvest the resulting fruits.

You may get aborts, but this is to be expected at times.

You have pins and that is what this exercise is all about.

The next grow, do not use the perlite in your substrate or casing layer.  This can be nasty stuff if ingested.  It is just like tiny shards of glass.

Just use it for raising humidity in your fruiting chamber.

Edited by mushit, 08 December 2018 - 11:08 AM.

• Koso likes this

#8 Koso

Koso

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:16 PM

Keep doing what you are doing.
Just let them grow and harvest the resulting fruits.
You may get aborts, but this is to be expected at times.
You have pins and that is what this exercise is all about.

The next grow, do not use the perlite in your substrate or casing layer.  This can be nasty stuff if ingested.  It is just like tiny shards of glass.
Just use it for raising humidity in your fruiting chamber.

Thanks for encouraging, it helps my motivation to push more effort =D
I'm reading now that to prevent sidepins, the surface has to be in best conditions - do you reckon this sideguys could be a result of the casing layer having the crappy perlite?
I just couldn't get vermiculite in time so I went with this mix, I too hate the idea of grinding those between my teeth =D

#9 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:23 PM

The side pins are mainly caused by light seeping in past the black plastic.

Instead of using plastic, you can rough up the tub where you want the level of the substrate and paint it black.

Substrates tend to shrink so side pins are sometime impossible to eliminate.

I just look at it as a way to get more fruits.

• Koso likes this

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:35 PM

Painting, taping etc a tub doesn't help prevent side pins. A plastic liner in the tub should be inside the tub so it sticks to the substrate and stays with it as it shrinks. Otherwise it can side pin whether it gets light or not.
  • mushit and Koso like this

#11 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:48 PM

That's if the plastic sticks to the substrate. 

Most of the time the sub shrinks and the plastic stays, in my experience anyway.

Like I say, it is almost impossible to eliminate side pins.

• coorsmikey likes this

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:08 PM

Across the OMC most of the time it sticks to the substrate.

#13 Koso

Koso

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:03 AM

Thanks both of you for the good advices, I'll definitely go with plastic liners next time, meanwhile, I got pins on the upper layer and I'm very excited =D

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!