• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 10PinHead10

10PinHead10

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:50 PM

Hello all. I'm still getting used to this site and where to post to. I figured the Welcome Mat to be the best place. In short, what are some more experienced growers thoughts on using an ultrasonic humidifier? I think I maybe should have stuck to the simple perlite and h2o + fanning method. My PF cakes all colonized, birthed, dunked, rolled in verm to perfection (as far as i know...) and then into a clear storage tote with the humidifier and two 5gal buffer jugs inbetween. Its been about 10days after birthing them and I've seen them grow more myc, then appear to knot and make little mountains of myc that i thought would turn into pins. But now those little mountains seem to be getting smaller, not bigger. Did i bite off more than i could chew trying to dial in the humidity just right? I mean at first i think it may have been TOO MUCH humidity, so i dialed it back. Then i saw blueish spots on the PF cake that i did not roll in verm. So i turned it back up a little bit more. I have 4 holes on the bottom of the tub, stuffed with poly. Then 4 holes in the top of the tub with no poly. I fan at least 3x a day, more like 5-6x. Temp is around 74°. Any insight or tips would be GREATLY appreciated. I just bought a bag of perlite a few hours ago and im wondering if i should just switch to that or stay with the humidifier. This is because i have 4 trays (all pretty small, experimental ones) two of which are made of barley spawn with a casing of verm/coco/perlite/peat/worm castings and the other two made with ground up PF cakes fresh out of the jar. I put bubble wrap on those and checked them after about two weeks. The myc is coming through surprisingly very well and two of the trays started pinning ontop and on the sides (with my FIRST mushroom about an 1/8th inch big

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,425 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:13 PM

Since this is the second time you asked this question here in Welcome Mat, I’ll move it over to Magic for you. More people hanging out there, hopefully you’ll get a response here.

Edited by coorsmikey, 03 December 2018 - 12:44 PM.

#3 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 741 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

Welcome to the family, friend!

I recommend posting photos along with your questions. Let us know if you need help figuring out how.

• coorsmikey and raymycoto like this

#4 10PinHead10

10PinHead10

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:13 PM

Ok thanks so much. Sorry about posting in the wrong spot. I was wondering why nobody replied to my first try hah. Bear with me. Now to find the Magic section and take some photos....
  • wharfrat likes this

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,425 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:31 PM

Just my opinion, the ultra sonic may be a lil overkill for a couple of cakes. But hey if it’s working and it’s what ya got. Carry on! It’s fun to get all techie sometime right. Yeah but Simple Set Ups can be just fine as well. What ever works for you in your unique situation. Usually the ultrasonic is used in larger set up. You may consider a timer for it instead of creating buffer zones if you haven’t already.

#6 10PinHead10

10PinHead10

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:40 PM

Thanks so much mikey. That's kind of what I figured and picked up on from what ive read, but it sure as hell helps to hear it from somebody with experience. I've seen ur name on quite a few different topics i feel like. Still amazes me how helpful and willing people are in this community to share what they know and help out the newbie like myself. So much different than the competitive kind of local scene that i was accustomed to from my days of growin plants.

Refreshing. I ended up "breaking down" and buying some perlite because 3 of my sample/experimental grain cakes that I cased were ready to put into fruiting (out of nowhere, almost overnight it seemed like). I didnt know if my set-up was THAT bad, so I didnt want to put all my eggs in one basket. The PF cakes still show just minimal knotting, seemed to have kinda of plateaued. The cased cakes though... After putting bubble wrap on em for a week or so after healthy myc growth... I saw my first pin w/ a tiny brown cap and all just over 72hrs ago. And today? I counted 49 more on just one of the 6x6" cakes! After two months, WAY more money than I planned on investing, and lots of self imposed stress, I feel like I can finally breathe.

I told myself that I was going to take it slow, just stick to the PFs to get my feet wet, and went in the complete opposite direction after I started to get so passionate about it. I started to do grains, G2G transfer, casing, multiple liquid culture experiments, etc... I suppose I now have something to pass on to anybody who might be in the same position as me when I got my first two spore syringes in the mail. Not much, but... If u have the patience I would stick to my original plan of getting to know the very simple basics before overwhelming urself. I know on a scale from 1-10 I'm only still like a 1.5 compared to most of the people here.

If u have the resources, a creative and curious mind, can tolerate a few let-downs without getting discouraged, and do your research, research, research though? I'm very very happy that I put this much on my plate. With hindsight of course hah. I feel like I've learned even more knowledge just from the bumps ive hit on the road than the most successful "only PF cakes" could've ever gave me. I'll be putting pictures up soon, I'm going to attempt my first clone tomorrow from one of the healthy looking younger fruits (thanks to what I learned from sidestreet, i believe it was, for his Magic of the Masses PDF and all of his resources. I HIGHLY recommend that read to anybody who still has more to learn btw.) I hope to become a familiar face and look forward to getting to know some like-minded people on here. I really cant wait to be able to give back to the community too, so freely like so many members on here. That reminds me also, and I'll end with this ha.

Is there a recommended place to donate a few bucks to the community? I feel like ive read somewhere that I can donate to this site directly, but I think i may be confused with another site. One that i no longer visit btw (not to hate on anybody else, but for me personally, I felt so much more welcome here. And literally the day or the day after i joined too.) Thanks again, to EVERYBODY!!

Edited by coorsmikey, 05 December 2018 - 02:19 PM.
paragraph breaks :)

#7 10PinHead10

10PinHead10

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:42 PM

Wow... My gf says i write "novels" when i text her sometimes hah. The above doesnt help my if i were to try and defend myself against that accusation on here haha. Still riding the natural high of seeing my first babies poke through
  • wharfrat likes this

#8 HooKworm

HooKworm

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:40 PM

Get some pics up!

Edited by HooKworm, 04 December 2018 - 08:41 PM.

#9 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,340 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:57 PM

Wow... My gf says i write "novels" when i text her sometimes hah. The above doesnt help my if i were to try and defend myself against that accusation on here haha. Still riding the natural high of seeing my first babies poke through

man hoss your gf aint joking LOL.

i see you have gone the perlite route but i was just wondering how you had the humidifier set up to humidify the cakes.  I could not really tell and keep wondering so i decided to ask.  

#10 10PinHead10

10PinHead10

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:05 PM

Ill try to keep it more to the point and not so ling winded hah. Sorry guys (and gal's). Im about to take some pictures right now actually. Can i just post them right here? Again, bear with me while i get a hang of this site....

#11 10PinHead10

10PinHead10

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:14 PM

And really quick, I only went the perlite route for the cased grain cakes because the PF cakes are still showing no signs of progressing. The perlite fruiting chamber is on point, things are looking great. I really thought i had the humidifier tek down perfectly so I'd still like to know if theres something small im missing. But i have 1/2" tubing coming from the ultrasonic, into a big water jug, and then more tubbing from that jug into a second one, and then into the top of the fruiting chamber. There are 2 valves i included on the set-up to e able to cobtrol exactly how much im letting in. I also have the humidifier plugged into a timer that shuts it off 5x a day for 20mins. I thought that would gice them a kund of break and let some evaporation happen because i heard that helps with pinning. But it hasn't. I also fan them every time i spray and fan the perlite chamber, so about 4-6x per day. Humidity gauges all agree that it oretty much stays around 95%+ at almost all times, and i fixed the problem of over-saturation, but still no pins. And as the pics im about to put up show, the cased cakes are doing extremely well and were put into fruiting about a week AFTER tge PFs, so I'm baffled....

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:25 PM

Too wet. Keep the humidifier off and don't mist as long as you can see moisture in the fruiting chamber.

#13 10PinHead10

10PinHead10

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:26 PM

I can't figure out how to upload pictures to this thread. Would anybody mind helping me out real quick please? I just took a few that should give a better understanding than my long winded rambles hah.

#14 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,425 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:27 PM

Lol I got a chuckle on the “49 pins” comment. That definitely shows how passionate and excited you must be. Can’t wait to see the pics.

If you’re serious about donating please send me a PM and remind me, I will give the info on what to do. Nobody will let us have a Pay Now button anymore so the donate button doesn’t work.

#15 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,425 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:33 PM

I can't figure out how to upload pictures to this thread. Would anybody mind helping me out real quick please? I just took a few that should give a better understanding than my long winded rambles hah.

Hit the “More Reply Options” button at the bottom of the reply box, you should be able to figure it out from there.

#16 10PinHead10

10PinHead10

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:59 PM

Jkdeth, i didnt nean to just totally ignore u dude. I didnt see ur reply til just now. That's what i was thinking too, but I didnt wanna make an executive fibal decision without hearing to from somebody with experience. Like u ha. I have seen ur replies and shit too so its fuckin cool gettin tips from people that i can see know their shit. I didnt wanna switch anything up while they are still healthy lookin when i just "thought" they plateaued but didnt know for sure. Its just weird because the lids theyre sitting in with damp verm have went dry and the cakes are really really light (as in weight. And i only touched the lids once 2days ago to puck them up snd feel, so dont think im over here playing with em like toys ha. Very sterile and probably too cautious.) The 49pins... Haha yep, that was literal and i surprised myself along the way with how passionate i started to get. I used to grow 72 plants, all legit and on a pretty big scale. Not bragging or trying to sound cool, it just reminds me of the feeling i had for my BABIES when i was into that. Im rambling again, but back to the pics. Im pretty literate when it comes to computers/phone/internet. That's why i was confused. I dont see any "More Reply Options" button or anything that'll allow me to add attachments to my reply. And thanks mikey, i didnt know i could PM anybody because im a newer member.

#17 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,425 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:47 PM

621DF9CC-F507-4F7F-B682-900F8D103D4B.jpeg

Make sure you’re on Full Version and not the mobile skin from the very bottom of the screen.

Edited by coorsmikey, 05 December 2018 - 07:51 PM.

#18 10PinHead10

10PinHead10

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:47 PM

#19 10PinHead10

10PinHead10

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:57 PM

Damn... This whole time I was looking at tge basic version of this site. Finally explored a bit and found out hiw to add pics (obviously ha). But I took ur advice and turned off the humidifier. Well I have it coming on a few times throughout the day so when im at work they dont go bone dry. I'm gonna monitor it for the rest of the night to make sure the humidity levels drop quite a bit compared to what they were. And that does make sense now. I cant imagine what the ACTUAL levels were when I had it going 24hrs a day, and before I added the second big jug as a "buffer", along with the second ball valve too. Thank u guys so much. Any quick pointers that any of u have about picking a clone and how to make a liquid culture out of it? I'm gonna reread one of the threads I saw on here, so I'll be folliwing that. I just mean any additional steps or advice that u guys could give me from ur personal experience? If not, that's totally cool. U guys took some stress off me already and it feels good just bein that much more a part of the community. I probably should start a grow log too....

#20 10PinHead10

10PinHead10

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:07 PM

20181205_181906.jpg 20181205_141725.jpg 20181205_194329.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!