I started with a 6-inch square catch basin. Why doesn’t Lowes show the bottom? Well, I will:
I had some trouble getting true HEPA filter vacuum bags. One Ebay seller’s description said “HEPA” but the package did not. I returned it. Lesson learned.
I then glued in a smaller ABS pipe to the back and some wood pieces in the front to mount the filter using Oatey All Purpose Cement:
I then cut a square from the HEPA vacuum bag, which was two layers. I first glued the outside layer to the wood using the Oatey stuff (smelly). Epoxy or contact adhesive would have been a better choice. Then, using adhesive from an old glue stick, I attached the delicate HEPA layer. I am hoping that the glue stick adhesive will make future filter replacement easier.
Then I tested the filter using a small-but-powerful muffin fan. I did not detect any air flow: the filter back pressure was too much. But two ganged muffin fans (one happened to be counter-rotating - a good thing) did produce air flow, but it was too kludgy. So I upgraded to a squirrel-cage blower
. I made an adapter using wood. The installed finished assembly works great. By that, I mean that the air flow is what I wanted: not too much or too little.
Edited by coorsmikey, 03 December 2018 - 02:54 PM.