Thoughts on resterilizing contaminated grain jars?
I'm not talking about something really old or nasty, but jar that has shown no activity for a few days from a failed LC or such.
I had a bad batch of LC that came from a lovely agar plate. However, the LC absolutely would not grow anything in grain or PF jar. Puzzling. It seems to have had an occult bacterial colonization (I'm guessing). After about 5 days, absolutely no growth while other LC I created at the same time from similar plates were outstanding. The jars by day 5 seemed to be getting a trace of off color growth and increased wetness.
I have plenty of good LC and also plenty of grain to redo the jars. I've *nuked* the bad jars at 30PSI steam for three + hours so I'm sure they are sterile at this point.
I realize it's not optimal. I wouldn't want to waste a limited amount of LC or other inoculant on a redo jar but I'm gonna try and noc them one more time with the known good LC.
Seems like I tried this before and possibly had less than wonderful growth. Perhaps the contaminants leave some sort of toxin behind.
Well, I'll try it and let you know and I'll do some control jars with new grain.
Edited by raymycoto, 02 December 2018 - 05:52 PM.